Amelia No Longer Covering Gophers

Is Jeff Shelman (sp)? bored/unemployed yet? If we're bringing someone back it should be him. Certainly #NeverMyron.

Unfortunately the Shelman Ship has sailed. Too bad, he'd dominate in the Twitter era.

Go Gophers!!

That trophy is safe with Myron.

Agreed. When he first started on the beat, he was an extraordinarily poor and unrefined writer. It's a mystery to me how he even got that job. Credit to him, though: he evidently worked hard, because he did become a serviceable writer after some time.

Amelia doing one final aMAILiaBAG via Twitter

I have lots of questions. Hope she'll be willing to open up now that she'll no longer be on the Gopher beat.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

my guess is marcus gets off the sinking pioneer press ship and slides over to the adult paper in town and keeps the same beat with a higher profile job and better pay check.

I've taken the liberty of applying for the job. I doubt I'll get it, but I feel compelled to give it a shot.

my guess is marcus gets off the sinking pioneer press ship and slides over to the adult paper in town and keeps the same beat with a higher profile job and better pay check.

That would be good. Though the PP would likely simply give up having a Gopher beat writer at all, so it wouldn't be much of a net gain.

So, Myron was a Mankato State fan, and Amelia was a Tarheel. Where did Marcus go to school?

Good for you and good luck.
Thanks. Like I said, I don't expect to get it, but there's no reason for me not to at least try. I'm semi-qualified with a resume that's gotten me in the door at the Strib for another position, so I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Thanks. Like I said, I don't expect to get it, but there's no reason for me not to at least try. I'm semi-qualified with a resume that's gotten me in the door at the Strib for another position, so I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Good luck, BTP! Let us know how it goes.

GopherHoler infiltrating the Strib...love it! Best of luck!!!

Beat

I wonder if there will be a Gopher Basketball Beat reporter, especially full time. Interest in the team is at a all time low, they didn't even send Amelia to 2 road games last year and the Strib could be looking to cut more costs.

I wonder if there will be a Gopher Basketball Beat reporter, especially full time. Interest in the team is at a all time low, they didn't even send Amelia to 2 road games last year and the Strib could be looking to cut more costs.

Maybe a job for an intern at this stage. Sad to say.

They are hiring a replacement for Amelia. It's a College Sports Reporter, with an emphasis on the Men's BB program, but other non-revenue sports will need to be part of the detail as well. It's posted on the Strib's Jobs section.

They are hiring a replacement for Amelia. It's a College Sports Reporter, with an emphasis on the Men's BB program, but other non-revenue sports will need to be part of the detail as well. It's posted on the Strib's Jobs section.

That was what I meant by non-full time BB beat writer. I bet more than half the road games will be via stringers or AP.

That was what I meant by non-full time BB beat writer. I bet more than half the road games will be via stringers or AP.

Make LaVelle or one of the Viking beat writers pitch in then. I find it hard to believe they can spare multiple beat writers for some sports and not even a full one for a team that plays 30 games.

Job is no longer posted on the Strib. I assume they've already made an offer. To the best of my knowledge, Glen Taylor has not been at my door. Dream dead.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

i still predict Marcus gets the job

Job is no longer posted on the Strib. I assume they've already made an offer. To the best of my knowledge, Glen Taylor has not been at my door. Dream dead. Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Guessing they're just internally talking about the offer you're about to receive.

POLLYANNA!!!

As journalism has changed, the role of a beat writer has changed. once upon a time, the beat writer covered a team, reported on games, and did the occasional feature or profile. It was straight reporting, and a beat writer stayed away from opinion pieces. that was a job for columnists.

Today, a beat writer also tweets, blogs, live chats, AND writes opinion pieces. That makes the job harder. One day, you're writing an opinion piece or doing a live chat that criticizes the players and/or coaches. the next day, you're at practice, trying to get quotes and cooperation from those same players and coaches. It's a fine line to walk. some handle it better than others.

I think she was probably the worst beat we have ever had. Everything breaking news would come out then about 24 hours later she would say it like it just happened. Kinda funny. Good person good writer no knowledge of basketball. The one interview she did on PA and he was asking a basketballs questions and there was no way she even ever played the game. Good luck but this will be good for the fans who want information about the team. Wonder if this was a demotion???

PA stopped drooling long enough to get a question out?

Off the subject, but how does the Strib print her first person account of her encounter with Norwood? No other side of the story. No "alleged", etc.

First the Strib does nothing after the alleged event...then they print her account as fact.

I certainly believe her claims but I'm not publishing a newspaper.

Top Bottom