Recruit pulls off incredible achievement: decommitting from Iowa for the third time

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...cruiting-juan-harris-commit-decommit-go-for-4

A timeline of the 6'4, 368-pounder:

December 2014: Harris commits to Iowa over Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin. He’s quoted as saying, "What type of man would I be if I commit, then decommit?" (That sounds funny in retrospect, but all high schoolers say regrettable things at all hours. Source: was a high schooler.)
January 2015: Harris decommits from Iowa, citing family disagreement. According to 247Sports, he names Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon as his top three "despite not having offers from any of the three schools." (Still well within the bounds of things high schoolers say.)
January 2015: Harris commits to Iowa, saying his family is on the same page now.
March 2015: Harris decommits from Iowa shortly after claiming a Michigan offer, saying, "I'm going to wait things out." (Wise.)
June 2015: Harris commits to Iowa, tweeting, "Blessed and honored to say I am officially committing to The University Of Iowa."
June 2016: Harris decommits from Iowa, tweeting, "I want to thank the Iowa staff for being true and supportive of me this past year. I am de-committing and going to re-evaluate." (Good to do so.)

Edit:
"decommitting" Apple you have failed me for the last time-please edit mod

I have a apple also, I'm forever editing. The auto feature sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can edit your thread titles, you know.

Question - usually, when a player gives a verbal commitment, that indicates approval from both parties. (player and team). Can a school refuse a verbal commitment? - i.e., tell the player "we don't want you."

By going along with this yo-yo act, it makes Iowa look as bad as the recruit. If I was Ferentz, I would put out a statement that "Iowa is no longer recruiting Harris and he will not play FB for the Hawkeyes."

Let him come up here. Bart Miller will teach him a thing or two. We can sure use a guy in our OL lineup that will darken the sky when he pancakes opponents.

Let him come up here. Bart Miller will teach him a thing or two. We can sure use a guy in our OL lineup that will darken the sky when he pancakes opponents.
I believe he is a DT, and for his size fairly agile, although I believe he is expected to play at a lower weight.

I believe he is a DT, and for his size fairly agile, although I believe he is expected to play at a lower weight.

Even better yet. Maybe we pitch him to be the next Ra'Shede Hageman.

Question - usually, when a player gives a verbal commitment, that indicates approval from both parties. (player and team). Can a school refuse a verbal commitment? - i.e., tell the player "we don't want you."

By going along with this yo-yo act, it makes Iowa look as bad as the recruit. If I was Ferentz, I would put out a statement that "Iowa is no longer recruiting Harris and he will not play FB for the Hawkeyes."

Yes a school can. See guy that tried to say he committed to UCLA and Oregon a few years back. Can't remember his name but it was a hilariously sad story

Can he do that to Iowa about another 5-6 times!

His weight issues and recruiting drama are real warning signs. Pursue at your own risk.

If I was Ferentz, I would put out a statement that "Iowa is no longer recruiting Harris and he will not play FB for the Hawkeyes."

They can pull the offer but they can't comment on a recruit. So if you were Ferentz and did this, you would be in a lot of trouble. ;)

They can pull the offer but they can't comment on a recruit. So if you were Ferentz and did this, you would be in a lot of trouble. ;)
The reason Ferentz is not pulling the offer is this kid could be a monster. He just moves through people, if he was 40 lbs lighter he might be unstoppable. Have no idea how he can play in a league in Fayette Iowa. It is a very small town that plays only very small Iowa towns. He could play most of the dline by himself in that conference.

Or eats all the opponents' pancakes.

The Gophers offered him today.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He didn't mention proud.

As my USC fan friends would say this kid looks like a 5 star player with a 2 star head. Will we make his imaginary top five. Then again, I believe in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Sign him up.

The Gophers offered him today.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like they re-extended a previous offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is one large human being

Looks like they re-extended a previous offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He is a big fella, if he can move he may have a future at DT. I can see why the Gophers offered, he looks kind of nimble for a dude that size.

no sure how much we know about this recruit. Th reason he is in West Union Iowa is that his Dad was in the Iowa prison system and was placed in a half way house in that town. Somehow this kid found a way to attend football camps in Iowa, Alabama, Michigan, Cal. As well as others. Chosen the outstanding player in all the camps. Somehow he chose Iowa. Last spring his Dad was released from prison, decided to visit old friends in Chicago and was shot and killed. Now the kid is living with the football coach in West Union. Kind of like the Blindside story. Really don't see him going to Iowa. But still haven't seen a Gopher offer.

Sorry I stand corrected. We did offer. Somehow how I missed it.

no sure how much we know about this recruit. Th reason he is in West Union Iowa is that his Dad was in the Iowa prison system and was placed in a half way house in that town. Somehow this kid found a way to attend football camps in Iowa, Alabama, Michigan, Cal. As well as others. Chosen the outstanding player in all the camps. Somehow he chose Iowa. Last spring his Dad was released from prison, decided to visit old friends in Chicago and was shot and killed. Now the kid is living with the football coach in West Union. Kind of like the Blindside story. Really don't see him going to Iowa. But still haven't seen a Gopher offer.

**** man that's terrible about his dad :(

The rest of the country can say they commit and change their minds 1000 times before national decision day on May 1 of their senior years. A junior changing their mind is not news. If you are upset by this, you should not follow 17 year old kids. If you are not upset by this, carry on.

The rest of the country can say they commit and change their minds 1000 times before national decision day on May 1 of their senior years. A junior changing their mind is not news. If you are upset by this, you should not follow 17 year old kids. If you are not upset by this, carry on.

I can feel anyway I want last time I checked..

Top Bottom