Bleacher Report: Lost in America

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Very crazy and scary article about trafficking of international youth basketball players. It's very long but well worth the read.

*Mods, feel free to move this to off-topic if you feel appropriate.

Lost in America
How Four Teens’ Hoop Dreams Turned Into a Nightmare, Sparking a Federal Probe

Their tribulations began as soon as they set foot in America. Rostand Ndong Essomba, a quick, 6'0" point guard from Yaounde, Cameroon, was told back home that Faith Baptist North was offering him a full scholarship. He jumped through all the bureaucratic hoops, procuring a coveted I-20 form that grants permission for international students to apply for a non-immigrant visa to enter the country and study in the U.S.

But when Rostand arrived at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta in October 2014, he says Faith Baptist North's founder, George Flint, took one look at him and told the 17-year-old African he was too short. Rostand says that Flint told him that if he wanted to stay in America, he had to cough up $2,000. "Where's the money?" Flint allegedly asked his new recruit.

Franck Tsoungui, Rostand's slender, sharpshooting 6'7" countryman, had left a stable situation at a prep school in Maine five months earlier, enticed by Flint's promises of a new program playing a powerhouse schedule that would expose his talents to Division I coaches. What Franck got was a merry-go-round of missed meals and cancelled games.

Mahmadou Ngoucheme had only been at Faith Baptist North for six weeks, but he packed plenty of suffering into that time. He was 7 feet tall, but that was about the only thing he had going for him as a U.S hoops prospect. He was raw, which was a nice way of saying he possessed few offensive skills, and he had a gentle disposition off the court—and on it.

What he really wanted was an American education, but after arriving in December 2014, Mahmadou had yet to attend a single class. Faith Baptist North had held no classes since mid-November.

Stefan Nakic-Vojnovic grew jaded early. The 6'5" shooting guard from Belgrade, Serbia, had been in Georgia the longest, since July, meaning that he had heard more broken promises than any of them. First there was the matter of the Faith Baptist North campus. There wasn't one, despite the brochure Faith Baptist North circulated to starry-eyed teens around the world via the internet, with photos of a beautiful lakeside compound and state-of-the-art athletic facilities.

The real Faith Baptist North was a football field and a rented gym housing a few unused classrooms behind a small church in Stockbridge, south of Atlanta. Stefan lived first in the basement of Flint's two-story home in Conyers, a few miles from Stockbridge, with as many as 20 other boys, then in a run-down apartment building, where he and some Serbian players pooled what money they had to buy a tiny electric heater to fend off the cold.

During the few weeks of classes held in the fall, Stefan says he took math tests for football players and laughed as Flint lectured students on avoiding bad people. Much of the rest of the time, he says he slept on cold floors and scrounged for food and free Wi-Fi hotspots. He sums up Faith Baptist North in three words: "a big nothing."

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/lost-in-america/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Amazing story; come to America and enjoy the accommodations and management style of the Industrial revolution-today.

And there's this:

In the hunt for international talent, big men are the priority. For whatever reason, the U.S. high school system is producing few quality post players. And those rare top-tier prospects—such as Anthony Davis and Jahlil Okafor—are quickly gobbled up by NCAA powerhouses.

Meanwhile, the non-elite college programs have begun spanning the globe for height, with Africa being a favorite focus. Many prep schools also jumped into the fray, stocking their rosters with tall international players in hopes of moving them up the ladder. But African backcourt prospects are rare.

Amazing story; come to America and enjoy the accommodations and management style of the Industrial revolution-today.

And there's this:

In the hunt for international talent, big men are the priority. For whatever reason, the U.S. high school system is producing few quality post players. And those rare top-tier prospects—such as Anthony Davis and Jahlil Okafor—are quickly gobbled up by NCAA powerhouses.

Meanwhile, the non-elite college programs have begun spanning the globe for height, with Africa being a favorite focus. Many prep schools also jumped into the fray, stocking their rosters with tall international players in hopes of moving them up the ladder. But African backcourt prospects are rare.

I noticed that part as well. Reminds me of my favorite college basketball team.

I noticed that part as well. Reminds me of my favorite college basketball team.

It helps explain what Pitino sees when he scouts a Bakary or a Gaston: what he wants to see or hopes to see. He imagines them developing into a basketball player, which is probably wishful thinking.

It helps explain what Pitino sees when he scouts a Bakary or a Gaston: what he wants to see or hopes to see. He imagines them developing into a basketball player, which is probably wishful thinking.
It probably doesn't help that he recruited and helped develop one of those success stories at Louisville. I can see what I think he sees in Konate, who played prep school ball stateside. Gaston will always puzzle me though.

It probably doesn't help that he recruited and helped develop one of those success stories at Louisville. I can see what I think he sees in Konate, who played prep school ball stateside. Gaston will always puzzle me though.

He didn't. He attended a prep school but never played.

The international guys are definitely a gamble. Very high risk/high reward situations, especially when it comes to big men.

Well, "he's especially good at expectorating."

And there's this:

Hmmmm... I wonder why that might be, Dr. Valeria Silva?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom