Perham Focus: Gopher coach announces scholarship for Perham athlete, Payton Jordahl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Perham Focus:

The dream for a small town football player usually involves taking the next step and playing football at the next level, ultimately playing for a Division I school. Perham’s Payton Jordahl is living that dream. What was already a good dream, recently became a great dream when Minnesota Golden Gopher head coach Tracy Claeys announced the walk-on athlete would receive a scholarship for his efforts.

Jordahl, who was redshirted his first season, participated in all 13 games with the Gophers last year. He was the team’s primary long snapper and was perfect on all 126 snaps last season. He snapped on 74 punts, 31 point-after-touchdowns and 21 field goals.

“It has been amazing. It’s pretty surreal being down there, coming from a small community like Perham,” Jordahl said. “I kind of took a leap of faith, going down to the Cities. I’m pretty much a country boy, love hunting and fishing, I sacrificed that going down to Minneapolis, but I have grown to love the city a lot. Regardless, if I was in football or not, Minneapolis and the University of Minnesota is a great community and a city.”

Recently at the Chalk Talk Caravan, Claeys honored Jordahl in front of his hometown crowd and had many great things to say about the Perham native.

“He is never late. He shows up for everything. He helps with all the community service,” Claeys said. “He has done a tremendous job in the classroom. All around, when they say student-athlete, he truly is a student-athlete.”

http://www.perhamfocus.com/sports/features/4056885-gopher-coach-announces-scholarship-perham-athlete

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to Payton - a well deserved earned scholarship!

The long snapper is one of those positions where no one notices you until you make a mistake. Good ones can be hard to find, and a bad long snapper can cost you a game. Solid move by Claeys to reward the guy with a scholly. It sends a message to other walk-ons that effort will be rewarded.

Top Bottom