Sid Hartman: Gophers AD Coyle taking stock of issues in department

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle has been at his new position for a little over two weeks now, so it seemed like a good time to see how he feels about the program so far.

Q How has it been coming back?

A You know, it has been great to be back. Having been here from 2001 to 2005, it was such a special place for us. And to have a chance to come back here, to reconnect with so many people that we knew before, and then the new people here — as you know, there’s great people that work in this department that take great pride in this place. We feel really fortunate to be back here in Minnesota.

Q Have you accomplished things in the last few weeks?

A The big thing is I have been doing a lot of listening. I want to listen to the staff and I want to listen to our coaches. I’ve been meeting with our senior staff, our coaches, to get a feel for the department. I’ve been spending time with Beth Goetz [who has been hired as the chief operating officer at Connecticut] to kind of learn from her. I want to make sure we do everything we can to support our coaches and our students so they can compete at a high level.

Q What about the status of the basketball program at this point?

A I’ve had a chance to spend some time with coach [Richard] Pitino and I enjoy working with him. My message to coach Pitino, and my message to all the coaches, is, ‘What can I do to help your program?’ I really feel it’s the athletic director’s job, the staffs job, to find out what we can do for our coaches and our student-athletes to let them compete at the highest level. As coach Pitino and I have further conversations and I learn more about his program and some of the things I can do to help him, I look forward to working with him.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-mark-coyle-taking-stock-of-issues-in-department/383361221/

Go Gophers!!

How many times can he say "SPECIAL".

seems like a good guy.

Q Have you accomplished things in the last few weeks?

A The big thing is I have been doing a lot of listening. I want to listen to the staff and I want to listen to our coaches. I’ve been meeting with our senior staff, our coaches, to get a feel for the department. I’ve been spending time with Beth Goetz [who has been hired as the chief operating officer at Connecticut] to kind of learn from her. I want to make sure we do everything we can to support our coaches and our students so they can compete at a high level.

Q What about the status of the basketball program at this point?

A I’ve had a chance to spend some time with coach [Richard] Pitino and I enjoy working with him. My message to coach Pitino, and my message to all the coaches, is, ‘What can I do to help your program?’ I really feel it’s the athletic director’s job, the staffs job, to find out what we can do for our coaches and our student-athletes to let them compete at the highest level. As coach Pitino and I have further conversations and I learn more about his program and some of the things I can do to help him, I look forward to working with him.

Go Gophers!!

He'll be a good manager and is setting himself up for success.

He'll be a good manager and is setting himself up for success.

It's a good start on paper. I hope he does fact gathering first, then is decisive, yet supportive. Decisive meaning make the tough decisions, get rid of those that need getting rid of, change the culture, etc. Supportive to those that remain.

Top Bottom