Sid Hartman: Gophers AD Coyle taking stock of issues in department

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle has been at his new position for a little over two weeks now, so it seemed like a good time to see how he feels about the program so far.

Q How has it been coming back?

A You know, it has been great to be back. Having been here from 2001 to 2005, it was such a special place for us. And to have a chance to come back here, to reconnect with so many people that we knew before, and then the new people here — as you know, there’s great people that work in this department that take great pride in this place. We feel really fortunate to be back here in Minnesota.

Q Have you accomplished things in the last few weeks?

A The big thing is I have been doing a lot of listening. I want to listen to the staff and I want to listen to our coaches. I’ve been meeting with our senior staff, our coaches, to get a feel for the department. I’ve been spending time with Beth Goetz [who has been hired as the chief operating officer at Connecticut] to kind of learn from her. I want to make sure we do everything we can to support our coaches and our students so they can compete at a high level.

Q How do you feel about the football situation here?

A I’ve really enjoyed my time with coach [Tracy] Claeys. We had a chance, when I did the Gopher road trip, being on the road with him for four days, I really appreciate his humility and I think he has that Midwestern value where you roll up your sleeves and you work hard. I think he recognizes you have to work hard. I think coach [Jerry] Kill put in a great foundation here and I think coach Claeys and his staff will build on that foundation. I have been really pleased with coach Claeys and what they’ve done academically and athletically.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-mark-coyle-taking-stock-of-issues-in-department/383361221/

Go Gophers!!

Q How about the fundraising at this point? Still at $80 million?

A We’ve had an increase in money. I don’t know the exact number, I need to sit down with our fundraisers to hear that, but I can tell you the donors have been very gracious to me.

Q Someone told me you’re up to $94 million, is that true?

A I don’t know the exact number we’re at, you know those numbers, those gifts are always coming in.

Q But there is more though?

Damn it Sid...

Top Bottom