All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

Gabe had 38 which is awesome but what did Jarvis have for stats?

Jarvis finished with 16 points 20 rebounds and 4 assists. He had a couple big blocks too but not sure the number.

He reminds me of mix between a Freshman Murphy and Rodney Williams. He is super athletic and explosive but parts of his game are still raw. I'm excited for him after a year of coaching and development!

Overall after watching last night I am confident Little P added depth to his bench for next year. Gabe and Jarvis both bring wayyyyy more to the table than say Harris or Hurt from a skill set and intensity level.

Jarvis finished with 16 points 20 rebounds and 4 assists. He had a couple big blocks too but not sure the number.

He reminds me of mix between a Freshman Murphy and Rodney Williams. He is super athletic and explosive but parts of his game are still raw. I'm excited for him after a year of coaching and development!

Overall after watching last night I am confident Little P added depth to his bench for next year. Gabe and Jarvis both bring wayyyyy more to the table than say Harris or Hurt from a skill set and intensity level.

Is Jarvis big enough to play the 4 in the Big 10 next season?

He is 6'8" right? He looks like a man child in the pictures but I doubt he is as strong as Murphy. I'd say he won't be required to provide too many minutes with Murph and Curry to man the 4 and with Oturu and Stockman at the 5.
Front court depth will be a luxury next year. Especially compared to this year.

Assuming he keeps lifting over the summer, I think he could be more than adequate strength wise to play right away. Just need to reign in that temper a bit but I like his nastiness. We needed one of those guys on the team.

I saw the highlights that Doogie posted, and Gabe was a damn hero. The 3's he made down the stretch were contested, and he didn't have the luxury of setting his feet. Truly awesome.

Kalscheur has the purest-looking shot I've seen coming into the Gopher program and yes, that includes Hoffarber. The ability to come off a screen, receive, pivot, and splash the twine from 22 feet out is obviously going to be valuable to the team next year. Pitino may need to change aspects of his offense to get more of these types of shot for Kalscheur.

Game can freaking stroke it. Those are all fairly contested.

I saw the highlights that Doogie posted, and Gabe was a damn hero. The 3's he made down the stretch were contested, and he didn't have the luxury of setting his feet. Truly awesome.

Best thing about this from my perspective (having never seen him play) is that he did it in a real big game tight down to the wire. That can't be coached. It seems we see it every year in the NCAA's when more talented teams (Arizona-Miami) wilt when the chips are down when guys on the other teams just want the ball to make the big play and actually make it. BTW, one of the recruiting strategies of Loyola is getting guys who played for state championship teams. Obviously can't be the only recruiting criterion, but not a bad one to have on your checklist and proved effective in the tight big games.

I am so grateful to have a great shooter coming into the program. Having him be a local guy is an added bonus. Hope springs eternal.

Best thing about this from my perspective (having never seen him play) is that he did it in a real big game tight down to the wire. That can't be coached. It seems we see it every year in the NCAA's when more talented teams (Arizona-Miami) wilt when the chips are down when guys on the other teams just want the ball to make the big play and actually make it. BTW, one of the recruiting strategies of Loyola is getting guys who played for state championship teams. Obviously can't be the only recruiting criterion, but not a bad one to have on your checklist and proved effective in the tight big games.

I am so grateful to have a great shooter coming into the program. Having him be a local guy is an added bonus. Hope springs eternal.

Interesting stuff.

The thing I remember about Hoffarber was that he had the range to make a shot beyond where you guard people. Having guys that can beat flawless defense is the key to winning games against good teams.

Gabe Question: How does he compare as a high school senior to J. P. Macura and Hoffarber? I’m guessing those guys were both a bit taller, but they were both known for their outside shooting and were projected as college two guards. I would love to hear from all of you MN prep experts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe Question: How does he compare as a high school senior to J. P. Macura and Hoffarber? I’m guessing those guys were both a bit taller, but they were both known for their outside shooting and were projected as college two guards. I would love to hear from all of you MN prep experts.

Gabe is a big man...all of 6'4 or 6'5. Big and strong also as evidenced by the ability to get those shots off with defenders in his face and the ability to get through/over screens with defenders hedging. He already has a college body without a doubt. Not sure of his ball handling ability as I have not seen as much of that, but for his shot, has excellent body control and squares his shoulders up very well to stay balanced. Very impressed with his skill level and even more impressed with his heart after what he did last night.

Those highlights are nuts. Gophers look to be getting a couple good ones next year

Akeem Springs is a good comparison. Good shooter and good defense.

Possible if Coffey and Corey aren’t 100 percent that all three incoming recruits start with Washington and Murphy.

Possible if Coffey and Corey aren’t 100 percent that all three incoming recruits start with Washington and Murphy.

I don't think Kalscheur would start over McBrayer at shooting guard. I thought Pitino also mentioned back in January or February that Curry's recovery was coming along very well, and I imagine he'd be ready to go 8 months from now. I think we'd have to be pretty unlucky to get to November and have Coffey, Curry, and McBrayer still recovering from surgery/injury.

I haven’t looked through this thread at all, but just thinking if anyone has a comparison for Gabe K? After just watching a couple highlight videos, I was thinking Voshon Leonard. Any thoughts?

I haven’t looked through this thread at all, but just thinking if anyone has a comparison for Gabe K? After just watching a couple highlight videos, I was thinking Voshon Leonard. Any thoughts?

Hoffarber with a worse shot and slower release but very similar size, athleticism, defense, handle etc.

Hoffarber with a worse shot and slower release but very similar size, athleticism, defense, handle etc.

Piss poor evaluation and inaccurate.

I think the Hoffarber comparison is very legit, Kalscheur might be a little more athletic but not that big of a difference.

I think the Hoffarber comparison is very legit, Kalscheur might be a little more athletic but not that big of a difference.

Agreed, I think Gabe is a better finisher at the rim but Blake could finish pretty well with that floater he had as well. If Gabe could give us numbers similar to Blake's first year, we are gonna be in really good shape at shooting guard.

I think hes more athletic than people give him credit for. Very good defender and more than a spot up shooter.

Already looks stronger than senior Blake. Being compaired to Hoff isnt a bad thing, he was a very good player, just had some limitations.

If Gabe has 70 % of the career that Blake had it would be a huge success. Blake had 1200 plus points and the most 3 pointers in Gopher history !

Piss poor evaluation and inaccurate.
+1. Silly comparison. It's almost as if you haven't seen K play.

How exactly is it a "piss poor evaluation and inaccurate."

I watched Gabe play every single peach jam game online, watched him in a Howard Pulley game in person, watched him 4 or 5 times in the HP pro am and watched him twice last year in HS.

They are both 6-4, 190-200 LBS, neither are guys you would want to bring the ball up ideally, neither will hurt you defensively but neither are lockdown defenders either, they both aren't amazing finishers nor amazing passers exactly and neither can/could elevate much, neither have much of a mid range game and neither are good at creating their own shot. Both their calling cards are 3 point shooting and nothing else really. If neither are making 3's than they aren't doing a whole lot else but they are both pretty good from 3, Blake being great.

so again, how was my comparison piss poor and inaccurate?

so again, how was my comparison piss poor and inaccurate?

Mr. AAU Pulley Guy-

I already answered that above. Think he's stronger (already), a much better defender, more athletic. He can slash better than Hoff, I'd put him as a better dribbler. Don't think he will shoot as well as the Hoff tho.

Mr. AAU Pulley Guy-

I already answered that above. Think he's stronger (already), a much better defender, more athletic. He can slash better than Hoff, I'd put him as a better dribbler. Don't think he will shoot as well as the Hoff tho.

I hope GK has a fantastic career. Blake actually was 195 coming in and as smart a player as you will find. He also had better offers than GK.

Top Bottom