All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

only seen highlights but I'm guessing there are questions about his athleticism. He seems solidly built but doesn't seem particularly quick and for a highlight film of a 6'4" kid there's not a dunk to be found that I've seen. While hops aren't everything it does say something about explosiveness and the ability to finish around the rim

Could Hoffarber dunk?

Half of the guards that have hammered us from outside for decades couldn't dunk either.

Lets get 5, 4, 3's that can run dunk and rebound, 2's and 1s that can shoot dribble and finish at the rim.

If our current team had Hoffarber, they may have only dropped 3 games so far. He was money in crunch time even from his back. I believe he carried us to the B1G tournament Championship game one year. If Nolan had not gone missing Tubby would have had an awesome team.

Half of the guards that have hammered us from outside for decades couldn't dunk either.

Lets get 5, 4, 3's that can run dunk and rebound, 2's and 1s that can shoot dribble and finish at the rim.
No kidding. We need some pure shooters.

If we get Gabe we'll have as many 3 point shooters in 2018 as I can remember. Gabe, Harris, Washington, Hurt, and Coffey are all good shooters that should be even better by the time 2018 rolls around. Curry may even be knock down by then.

Kid from Purdue was lights out in OT last night. It would be great to have a similar skill set on our team.

If our current team had Hoffarber, they may have only dropped 3 games so far. He was money in crunch time even from his back. I believe he carried us to the B1G tournament Championship game one year. If Nolan had not gone missing Tubby would have had an awesome team.

Devoe Joseph was the best player during that tournament run not Hoffarber. I've watch Gabe at least 12 times and I think people on this board are overrating him and his shooting because he's a Minnesota kid.

Race Thompson is another kid that we are overrating because he's from here. He's a good player but he's a very lazy defender and his shooting isn't consistent imo. I prefer him over Gabe but I think we shouldn't just go after guys because they are from here.

Could Hoffarber dunk?

don't know. He was also considered one of, if not the best, shooters in the country. Haven't seen that with Gabe. Either way, point was simply that that COULD be a question people have about him, explaining his lack of offers since he has size and is a really good shooter. Take it up with the coaches not offering him

Race Thompson is another kid that we are overrating because he's from here. He's a good player but he's a very lazy defender and his shooting isn't consistent imo. I prefer him over Gabe but I think we shouldn't just go after guys because they are from here.
Race is a 4 star according to Scout. I've watched him play a couple times this year on webcasts and he looks like a good player. Rebounds pretty well, good at the free throw line, and can shoot the ball. One problem for him is he has to take some pretty tough outside shots at times just because his team doesn't have a whole lot of other threats for defenses to have to focus on. If he had some guards on his high school team that were a little more scoring threats and could create he would get some open looks instead of having to take so many contested shots.

I haven't seen Gabe play since the state tournament last year but I liked him a lot then. Good athlete, great shooter, and decent ball handler I also like that he comes from a very solid program where you know he has been taught to play the right way. I would be very happy if both Gabe and Race ended up signing with the Gophers.

Race is a 4 star according to Scout. I've watched him play a couple times this year on webcasts and he looks like a good player. Rebounds pretty well, good at the free throw line, and can shoot the ball. One problem for him is he has to take some pretty tough outside shots at times just because his team doesn't have a whole lot of other threats for defenses to have to focus on. If he had some guards on his high school team that were a little more scoring threats and could create he would get some open looks instead of having to take so many contested shots.

I haven't seen Gabe play since the state tournament last year but I liked him a lot then. Good athlete, great shooter, and decent ball handler I also like that he comes from a very solid program where you know he has been taught to play the right way. I would be very happy if both Gabe and Race ended up signing with the Gophers.

I don't follow high school ball closely, but at 6-4 and 6-8, my guess is Gabe and Race are different positions. Nice complement to each other. Thanks for the clarification on Race. I am pretty sure he is a consensus top 100 player now. Top 100 four star players should be welcome here.

Offensively I think Race has all the tools to succeed, but his on ball defense and his lazy helpside defense are concerns for me. It is possible he's just bored because he's so much more talented than other kids in the state, but it looks lazy and like he isn't competing at all.

As for Gabe, maybe I am missing something. I just see him as more of a mid major player than high major. He's a shooter but he's not a shooter on the Hoff level or even Akeem Springs. He's not that good of a defender or ball handler. I'm trying to figure out what skill stands out beside being a streaky shooter.

Offensively I think Race has all the tools to succeed, but his on ball defense and his lazy helpside defense are concerns for me. It is possible he's just bored because he's so much more talented than other kids in the state, but it looks lazy and like he isn't competing at all.

As for Gabe, maybe I am missing something. I just see him as more of a mid major player than high major. He's a shooter but he's not a shooter on the Hoff level or even Akeem Springs. He's not that good of a defender or ball handler. I'm trying to figure out what skill stands out beside being a streaky shooter.

Suppose Akeem Springs wasn't Akeem Springs coming out of high school, hence why he went to Northern Illinois. Gabe is as good as a Senior in college as Springs is this year than sign him up. As for race, the way I see it, he looks like one of those classic big men Bo Ryan always had that would just kill us from inside and outside, Thompson and oturu should be the perfect compliments to each other in the front court.

More of a scorer than a shooter, I would compare him to McBrayer rather than Springs. Might not be as athletic as McBrayer but he's only a junior.

sounds like the dude from Welcome Back Kotter; I think we should pass.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gabe

Gabe reminds me a bit of Brad Davidson.

Both are good shooters and scorers. Davidson can play the point while Gabe doesn't seem to have that skill. Neither are great athletes for high division one, but they are both skilled. Davidson gets lots of steals as he has a great feel for the game.

Gabe had 10 rebounds in the game last night so he is willing to do some dirty work. He could be a liability on the defensive end. McBrayer is twice as quick as Gabe.

Gabe reminds me a bit of Brad Davidson.

Both are good shooters and scorers. Davidson can play the point while Gabe doesn't seem to have that skill. Neither are great athletes for high division one, but they are both skilled. Davidson gets lots of steals as he has a great feel for the game.

Gabe had 10 rebounds in the game last night so he is willing to do some dirty work. He could be a liability on the defensive end. McBrayer is twice as quick as Gabe.

He had 6 0boards among the 10. I agree quickness is important on defense, but not as important as fundemnatals, and McBrayer shooting form needs an overhaul, and he could do worse than looking at Gabe.

and McBrayer shooting form needs an overhaul, and he could do worse than looking at Gabe.

Didn't McBrayer shoot 42% from 3 this year?? Seems like folks are stuck on how he started his Gopher career (cold shooting). I'll take 42% from downtown any day.

Lefty's always look weird. Gabe should be an ok player but he isn't the level of recruit as Oturu or Race.

Lefty's always look weird. Gabe should be an ok player but he isn't the level of recruit as Oturu or Race.

I've been saying this for awhile now. If he wasn't from here, so many people wouldn't be clamoring over him. The thing about him is he isn't a consistent shooter like Blake H but more of a streaky shooter. We played vs De La Salle the last two seasons and I have scouted over 15 games of his and I just don't see him being a high major prospect. His offers are from mostly mids and us which seems like a due diligence offer.

Does he still hold an offer from us even after Washington/Harris? Seems to me we need to focus on a big man at this point. Loaded at Guard and guys that can play the 3/4.

Top Bottom