All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

I watched him play up close in person at MSHSL tournament. He's a "nice" player. I know he is said to be shutting down people defensively this summer, but in the state tournament...he was not quick.
Many, many guys were quicker than him on the floor. I'd say that's the reason. I question his ability to defend or get anything but open look shots versus quicker stronger competition. I know, he's reportedly on fire this summer. I'm just offering a possible reason why he doesn't have better offers. Stating what I saw in March. (Michael Hurt, Gilbert etc projections)

This feels like the discussion about J.P. Macura all over again.

If you are quoting me...

This feels like the discussion about J.P. Macura all over again.

You have a problem with my evaluation of Macura as high school player being accurate? The fact he is an excellent college player as I projected? Or is it my evaluation of Michael Hurt in high school being dead on accurate to date versus the board experts expecting greatness from him, when I got bashed for saying it wasn't going to happen? I have no idea if I'm right about Gabe, or if Hurt will get quicker, tougher over the summer but my evaluations have been right to date.
How are your evaluations doing before they play in college?

You have a problem with my evaluation of Macura as high school player being accurate? The fact he is an excellent college player as I projected? Or is it my evaluation of Michael Hurt in high school being dead on accurate to date versus the board experts expecting greatness from him, when I got bashed for saying it wasn't going to happen? I have no idea if I'm right about Gabe, or if Hurt will get quicker, tougher over the summer but my evaluations have been right to date.

Geez dude, calm down. Why do defensive and then aggressive? We are proud of your high school evaluations. I hope the pats on your back don't bruise your back.

I didn't mean to imply your evaluations were right or wrong. I was just commenting on how many people thought similar things about JP as he developed later in HS. That's all. Sorry if you took that comment as an insult. My point was that I remember people saying JP was too slow(I have no clue what you said about Macura to be honest i don't remember that far back). And yet I'd take JP on the gophers as he has played at Xavier. I didn't make my point clear that JP has had a good college career and I hope Gabe does too and i see similarities to how some people are evaluating them.

Edit: I don't evaluate HS players typically. I'm just a fan and I don't pretend to be anything else.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Do we know the time frame for Kalscheur to make his decision? Has he made any statement yet?

Do we know the time frame for Kalscheur to make his decision? Has he made any statement yet?
I remember seeing somewhere that it will be after the AAU season but prior to start of HS season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

With all the high end talent in the state for this recruiting class, it would be great to get four Minnesota kids.

Gabe

With an athletic frontcourt in our future with great defensive potential it would be the perfect time to add an offensive player like Gabe!

That's promising.

Does he have an updated offer list? If the one on 247 is up-to-date. the Gophers don't seem to have much competition.

Just can't get excited about this kid. See a pure shooter that doesn't do much else. Hope I'm wrong but for a kid that can supposedly shoot it like him and one with decent size at that, he's not exactly racking up the offers

Just can't get excited about this kid. See a pure shooter that doesn't do much else. Hope I'm wrong but for a kid that can supposedly shoot it like him and one with decent size at that, he's not exactly racking up the offers

This is how I'm leaning. Did they maybe think by offering Gabe, it would help with the rest of the MN class? I'd be ok if he could only shoot, but was also a defensive wizard. I've read conflicting stories about his defense.

Hoffarber certainly didn't do much else in HS either, and didn't have many big offers. The Gophers need shooters. Plus it sounds like he defends fairly well. While I think there are better options that the Gophers have offered, I would be happy if Gabe commits.

Hoffarber was required to be a focal point of the offense, and many times ended up being the only serviceable guard. He would have been much better with more talent around him that could create and kick out within the offense or on the break. I think that is where Gabe will be a factor. He doesnt have to be a slashing guard that gets to the hole. He can be the guy that finds the open spots on the floor and waits for a kickout when the defense breaks down. This is something most good teams have, that we havent had in awhile. But now there is more talent on the team where a scholarship needs to be spent on a guy like Gabe. Not to mention, he is a good defensive player, so Pitino isnt going to lose defense to get offense. Just my thought.

Hoffarber was required to be a focal point of the offense, and many times ended up being the only serviceable guard. He would have been much better with more talent around him that could create and kick out within the offense or on the break. I think that is where Gabe will be a factor. He doesnt have to be a slashing guard that gets to the hole. He can be the guy that finds the open spots on the floor and waits for a kickout when the defense breaks down. This is something most good teams have, that we havent had in awhile. But now there is more talent on the team where a scholarship needs to be spent on a guy like Gabe. Not to mention, he is a good defensive player, so Pitino isnt going to lose defense to get offense. Just my thought.

I agree completely. I'm not sure Gabe will shoot it like Hoffarber because that's a lot to ask, but hopefully somewhat close.

It will be so darn fun to have a real shooter again. I remember jumping up with the 3-point signal every time Hoffarber shot. Between Harris and Gabe we should be able to spread the defense a bit.

I agree completely. I'm not sure Gabe will shoot it like Hoffarber because that's a lot to ask, but hopefully somewhat close.

I think Gabe can hold his own defensively. He has done a good job on some really talented guards. The biggest difference between Gabe & Hoff is Hoff is more of a pure knockdown compared to Gabe who is solid but more of a streaky shooter. He has games where he hits 5 or 6 threes and next game miss 8 or 9

Uh, guys, we need role players too. Not everybody has to be a five star future NBA player. If Gabe can come in, hit shots, play tough D, and contribute off the bench, that'll be great!

Hoffarber certainly didn't do much else in HS either, and didn't have many big offers. The Gophers need shooters. Plus it sounds like he defends fairly well. While I think there are better options that the Gophers have offered, I would be happy if Gabe commits.

Hoff had a Louisville offer among others. Gabes next best offer is Pitt I think and theyve been down for a while. This despite playing on a high level AAU team with maybe the most higly recruited PG in the country and playing for a high profile HS team. Hes been seen plenty but high majors not his hometown team are passing

Uh, guys, we need role players too. Not everybody has to be a five star future NBA player. If Gabe can come in, hit shots, play tough D, and contribute off the bench, that'll be great!

Thats the point. Its questionable whether he'll be able to do anything more than hit shots in the Big Ten including playing tough D. If a kid can shoot it teams are usually all over him if they think he can also defend or also distribute or rebound or anything else. If all a guy can do is shoot he has to be great at it otherwise you cant play him because he brings nothing else to the table if hes not hitting

He may be the next Hoffarber. But I'm afraid he ends up the next Brent Lawson.

He may be the next Hoffarber. But I'm afraid he ends up the next Brent Lawson.

Um, Brent Lawson was recruited and signed with St. Francis (Pa.) and he ended up coming to the U when we were at a low point in the program.

The only thing relevant to compare having a Pitt (ACC) and a St. Francis offer is that they are in the same state.

Your comparison of these two players is a MAJOR reach. It's like saying Trump and JFK were alike because they were both President of the United States.

Um, Brent Lawson was recruited and signed with St. Francis (Pa.) and he ended up coming to the U when we were at a low point in the program.

The only thing relevant to compare having a Pitt (ACC) and a St. Francis offer is that they are in the same state.

Your comparison of these two players is a MAJOR reach. It's like saying Trump and JFK were alike because they were both President of the United States.

Didn't he also transfer as a walk-on and earned a scholarship later? And IIRC correctly he was a good perimeter defender type. Definitely not the same level of prospect.

Watching him a number of times he is a very solid defender too and more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for. Would be a solid addition no matter where he is from but a bonus that he is a hometown kid. I have no idea why he doesn't have more offers than he does have had a couple people say it is because many feel he is going to commit to Minnesota and they've felt that way for a while so why bother pursuing.

Top Bottom