All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

Looks like 247 updated their composite rankings today and Gabe is now ranked higher than Jarvis. Gabe is #167 and Jarvis is #179. (Oturu is up to 46.) I guess the scouts must definitely see improvement in Gabe's play this summer.

Another note, a player now has to be in the top 120 to be considered a 4 star. Gabe and Jarvis are now listed as 3 stars.

Looks like 247 updated their composite rankings today and Gabe is now ranked higher than Jarvis. Gabe is #167 and Jarvis is #179. (Oturu is up to 46.) I guess the scouts must definitely see improvement in Gabe's play this summer.

Another note, a player now has to be in the top 120 to be considered a 4 star. Gabe and Jarvis are now listed as 3 stars.

Yeah the whole thing where the entire top 200 were 4 stars was a mistake, good to see it's been corrected. I think Jarvis was #164 before, Gabe was maybe in the 200's.

per Jace:

Gabe Kalscheur fits the mold of the modern-day shooting guard.

The ability to hit three-pointers and play defense is currently at a premium, and the 2018 DeLaSalle guard, who will announce his college decision on Tuesday night at his high school, does both.

That’s why Tre Jones, Kalscheur’s teammate on the Howard Pulley AAU team, started referring to Kalscheur as “Klay,” in reference to Golden State two-way guard Klay Thompson, last summer.

“That’s kind of how he plays, for sure,” Jones said. “He does so many things right. He’s real fundamental, He can shoot it well, he can play defense. Klay is a good comparison.”

That sounds like the type of player Gophers coach Richard Pitino is looking for.

“He sees me playing as a shooter, a spark on the offense with what they need. They need a shooter out there,” Kalscheur said of the role Pitino prescribed for him. “And also defense … to lock (the other team’s best scorer) down.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...lscheur-is-the-shooting-guard-teams-look-for/

Go Gophers!!

I haven't seen Kalscheur a ton (2 games) Anyone on here think he is a really great defender? Kind of an overlooked part of a lot of guards games when discussing them.

Also, I'm sure its on this thread somewhere, but how do you pronounce his last name?

I haven't seen Kalscheur a ton (2 games) Anyone on here think he is a really great defender? Kind of an overlooked part of a lot of guards games when discussing them.

Also, I'm sure its on this thread somewhere, but how do you pronounce his last name?

I used to wonder if he was quick enough on D but after watching a lot of his games this summer, I have changed my stance on Gabe. He has improved a lot defensively. He can guard opposing teams best guard/wing.

A Canadian said it was CAL-EH-SURE.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

His defense was actually the first thing I noticed when watching him play at the EYBL Atlanta Session. Was more impressed with that than his shooting ability. He guarded the other teams best player and here were their numbers:

NJ Playaz - Jalen Carey, 2-14 FG, 6 pts
Playground Elite - Tyler Herro, 2-10 FG, 5 pts
Team Final - Cam Reddish (could be a top 5 pick in 2019 draft) - 2-15 FG, 7 pts

You can tell he was very well schooled by Dave Thorson in the way that he positions himself and crowds the defender. He makes you work extremely hard to get the ball by denying the wing effectively. I think he'll end up being an elite perimeter defender sooner than later.

His defense was actually the first thing I noticed when watching him play at the EYBL Atlanta Session. Was more impressed with that than his shooting ability. He guarded the other teams best player and here were their numbers:

You can tell he was very well schooled by Dave Thorson in the way that he positions himself and crowds the defender. He makes you work extremely hard to get the ball by denying the wing effectively. I think he'll end up being an elite perimeter defender sooner than later.

+100 same thing I saw

Hope you are right. Need those lock down guys on the roster, especially if they can hit 3s on the other end

Thanks for the analysis of him defensively. I watched him play high school teams and he dominated but that doesn't mean he is an elite defender as he was guarding lesser athletes. VERY happy to hear he can lock down great players. Completely changes my thoughts on him.

When I saw him in the state title game. Whichever Gach twin he was guarding, Gabe shut him down

Nicollet Island has been fenced in as Gopher country. A shoutout to Jarvis Johnson for being a leader to start the wave of MN commits!

Nicollet Island has been fenced in as Gopher country. A shoutout to Jarvis Johnson for being a leader to start the wave of MN commits!

No doubt. Every time I hear his name I get a little bummed. Of the '15 class he was the one I was most excited to watch play. If tomorrow they said Jarvis was cleared and recruiting for '18 was over I'd be ecstatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt. Every time I hear his name I get a little bummed. Of the '15 class he was the one I was most excited to watch play. If tomorrow they said Jarvis was cleared and recruiting for '18 was over I'd be ecstatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I love his game. Did a ton for local recruiting. Wish he would get cleared.

per KSTP:

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

Go Gophers!!

per Jace:

Something about Gophers home basketball games last season stood out to Jarvis Thomas.

When Michael Hurt, a freshman forward from Rochester, would check in at the scorer’s table, Thomas recalled, “The crowd would just erupt.”

“It’s ridiculous,” Thomas said. “People, they love the in-state kids.”

They’ll be getting a few more of them soon. Moments after DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur announced his commitment to the University of Minnesota this week, he threw his arms around Daniel Oturu and Thomas — fellow Gophers commits from the Class of 2018 — and posed for pictures.

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

img_6317-2.jpg

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

per Chad:

Playing together on an offseason AAU basketball team, Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Thomas spent many long nights talking about what the next four years could hold for them.

They envisioned Oturu dominating the block, Kalscheur shooting 3s and Thomas using his athleticism to pull down rebounds. All for their hometown Gophers.

On Wednesday, the three Minnesotans take a giant step closer to becoming college teammates, with each planning to sign a letter of intent to play for the Gophers men’s basketball team in what will be the U’s biggest single haul of local talent since Royce White headlined three Minnesotans who did the same in 2009.

All three long ago gave oral commitments to the Gophers, and can sign officially with the program Wednesday, the first day the NCAA allows non-football and soccer players to sign letters of intent for the Class of 2018.

“We are all coming together for the same goal — to put on for our state,” said Oturu, a 6-foot-10 center who plays for Cretin-Derham Hall. “You don’t have to leave to be successful. We want to build our own legacy at the U and continue that with the younger generation too. Hopefully, more kids will stay home too and play for the Gophers. We want to start a trend.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...recruits-hope-this-is-start-of-something-big/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom