All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

Does he still hold an offer from us even after Washington/Harris? Seems to me we need to focus on a big man at this point. Loaded at Guard and guys that can play the 3/4.

we are not loaded at guard.

We need 2 in the class of 2018, minimum.

Next year we will have 4 "Guards" (play the position of a 1 or 2 primarily) on the roster, 1 senior, 1 Junior, 2 Freshman
2018, as it sits now we will be back down to 3 (1 Senior, 2 sophomores)
2019 as it sits now we will be down to 2 (2 Juniors)

I'd take a minimum of 2 players capable of playing the 1 or 2 in 2018 unless they feel extremely confident in a difference maker coming in 2019 that can play 20+ minutes, then 1 might be enough, but thats still risky.

we are not loaded at guard.

We need 2 in the class of 2018, minimum.

Next year we will have 4 "Guards" (play the position of a 1 or 2 primarily) on the roster, 1 senior, 1 Junior, 2 Freshman
2018, as it sits now we will be back down to 3 (1 Senior, 2 sophomores)
2019 as it sits now we will be down to 2 (2 Juniors)

I'd take a minimum of 2 players capable of playing the 1 or 2 in 2018 unless they feel extremely confident in a difference maker coming in 2019 that can play 20+ minutes, then 1 might be enough, but thats still risky.

I think a big man is much higher priority at this point, and I also think it'll be a tough sell to most guards in 2018 with the potential of Washington and Harris, not to mention Dupree only a JR next year, and Coffee playing more like a guard than anything else. Who do have down low after Lynch and BK leave? Oturo will be a FR and sounds like more of a 4.

I think a big man is much higher priority at this point, and I also think it'll be a tough sell to most guards in 2018 with the potential of Washington and Harris, not to mention Dupree only a JR next year, and Coffee playing more like a guard than anything else. Who do have down low after Lynch and BK leave? Oturo will be a FR and sounds like more of a 4.

We'll have at a minimum 4 scholarships in 2018, we can fit 2 guards and a big.

I've been saying this for awhile now. If he wasn't from here, so many people wouldn't be clamoring over him. The thing about him is he isn't a consistent shooter like Blake H but more of a streaky shooter. We played vs De La Salle the last two seasons and I have scouted over 15 games of his and I just don't see him being a high major prospect. His offers are from mostly mids and us which seems like a due diligence offer.

Who is? Gabe wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the team. He could be a guy who can come off the bench and make some shots, anyone expecting more that that would be disappointed.

Who is? Gabe wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the team. He could be a guy who can come off the bench and make some shots, anyone expecting more that that would be disappointed.

Then I'll be disappointed. I'd like a higher upside than that, personally.

I'd take Kalscheur if the Gophers strike out on a couple other guys but in no way would I make him a priority. If MN has 5 of 6 scholarships, I'd take him and call it a good class if he's the fifth best recruit. He's a nice shooter and he's got good size but I don't see D1 athlete. His shot is inconsistent and he doesn't have great handles. He's also playing on a team with far and away superior talent on most nights and he can play to his strengths without the opposition accentuating his weaknesses at this point.

Agreed that the AAU season will determine how high he goes, similar to Mar.

Gabe had a good aau year last year, he was the third leading scorer on pulley playing against kids a year ahead of him. I think the Gophers would be fortunate to have him, he is going to be a solid college player.

I have barely seen him play. But if the ceiling is just a potential bench guy...I like to think the team can find better. Hurt and Gilbert were both recruited with higher aspirations than that.

WCCO: Prep Blog: State Basketball Tournament Features Several Division I Recruits

DeLaSalle – Goanar Mar, Gabe Kalscheur

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: DeLaSalle is a favorite to win the Class AAA state title. The Islanders have won five straight championships, and are likely headed for their sixth this year. Their roster is filled with talent that will play in college. DeLaSalle is led by post player Goanar Mar, who is averaging more than 21 points per game and about nine rebounds. He is committed to play in college at George Mason. Guard Gabe Kalscheur is a junior averaging more than 17 points per game and has several scholarship offers, including the Gophers.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/...rnament-features-several-division-i-recruits/

Go Gophers!!

I have watched Gabe play two games in the state tournament. He seems like a nice kid. Plays hard for a high school kid. I don't see how he is going to be able to defend BigTen quickness.
On side note...if Austin shoots well and limits their turnovers, they can beat DeLaSalle. I like the potential of #23 Duoth Gach for Austin better than Gabe. Gach is much more athletic than Gabe. He could be pretty dynamic if he grows even a little and adds some more muscle. He had 5 monster dunks today to go along with a bunch of 3's. I have seen him pay 4 of his last 6 games. He is consistent...grows on you each time you see him. 29 points today.

He had 6 0boards among the 10. I agree quickness is important on defense, but not as important as fundemnatals, and McBrayer shooting form needs an overhaul, and he could do worse than looking at Gabe.

Yeah, McBrayer should totally change his shooting form so that he can shoot under 42% on three on over 2.5 attempts/game...

Gach is super long! They say 6-5 but plays like he is 6-8 on defense. Sleeper prospect for sure.

Ryan James said the other day that literally no schools have been in touch with Gach. Another Gopher fan asked him. That was the first I had ever heard of the kid.

GopherHole Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur Talks Recruiting, Relationship with Gophers Coach Johnson and Pitino
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/774061?referrer_id=

Gabe Kalscheur, a 6-foot-2, 189-pound junior guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, is considered one of the top players in the Minnesota Class of 2018. Kalscheur received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last summer.

Kalscheur scored 27 points to lead DeLaSalle to a 79-56 victory over Fergus Falls in the 3A title game last year to become the first boy's team in Minnesota history to win five straight state championships.

Kalscheur averaged a team-best 19.0 points per game as a sophomore for the Islanders, who finished 24-4. He has scored in double figures in all but three games, including a season-best 30 points versus Champlin Park.

Kalscheur averaged 6.3 points per game as a freshman with five double figure games, including two of the Islanders' three games in the Class AAA state tournament. He had ten points in their first round win over Albany and twelve versus Mankato East in the second round.

Kalscheur caught up with Gopher Hole Thursday after their semifinal win to talk about the latest on his recruitment and winning a sixth straight state title.

Gopher Hole: DeLaSalle is back in the state championship game for the sixth straight year. How pleased are you with how well the team is playing right now?

Gabe Kalscheur: I am very pleased. We play so well with each other. We all get along.

Gopher Hole: This is your third straight title game. How is this team different from the last two that you played on?

Gabe Kalscheur: I feel like we are more connected. Goanar (Mar), our senior, has been a good leader this year and same with me also along the other two seniors, who have been out there.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to win another state title?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be history This time, it will prove to be history.

Gopher Hole: Do you ever feel a little pressure because to be honest, a lot of other teams are probably sick of you guys winning every year?

Gabe Kalscheur: I don't think about trying to win another state championship. I just think winning a game because I personally love winning and I don't like losing and when the big lights come on, we just want to win.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with your own individual play this year?

Gabe Kalscheur: I feel good. I feel that I have been more of a role leader.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now? How many offers are you up to?

Gabe Kalscheur: Minnesota has offered me. UNI and North Dakota.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is so busy with your high school schedule, but did you get a chance to go to many college games this year?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have been to a lot of Minnesota games. I haven't been to a lot of out-of-state game. I have been just doing school and basketball.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota has a commitment from a player in your class, Daniel Oturu, who you play with on Howard Pulley. What does it mean to have another in-state player commit to Minnesota?

Gabe Kalscheur: He gives me some crap about going to Minnesota, so I am thinking about it. I am thinking about it, but I am just going to see how AAU season goes and we'll see from there.

Gopher Hole: Is he working on you a little though?

Gabe Kalscheur: A little bit. A little bit.

Gopher Hole: What is he saying to you?

Gabe Kalscheur: He just says that they need a player like me and I'm like "I agree with it." .

Gopher Hole: Gopher Hole: Minnesota was 8-23 last year, but were the most improved team in the country this season. Does that change how you look at them?

Gabe Kalscheur: It does. It does. Obviously, they have said that to me, too that they were wanting to improve and they did and that meant a lot to me of what he said.

Gopher Hole: I know that Ben Johnson was here to watch you and he was a DeLaSalle guy. What kind of relationship do you have with him?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have a close relationship with him since he is a DeLaSalle grad and also someone I text a lot and Coach Pitino. I have been texting him a lot.

Gopher Hole: What will it mean to play Division I basketball?

Gabe Kalscheur: It will mean a lot because I have worked a lot to be here and play with the best and compete with the best and I deserve it.

Gopher Hole: Gopher Hole: Do you watch the NCAA Tournament at all?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, I have. It's crazy.

Gopher Hole: Did you fill out a bracket?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, I did. It does not look good at all.

Gopher Hole: Who did you have winning it all?

Gabe Kalscheur: Kentucky and UCLA.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be good. It would be unthinkable. It would be crazy.

Gopher Hole: What about the opportunity to play for the homestate school? What would that mean for you?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would be great. My mom wouldn't have to go out and watch me and she could just stay here and I could play for her and she could watch me, too.

Gopher Hole: Howard Pulley had great success last year, making it to the Peach Jam. You lose a lot of key players, so you, Daniel and Tre (Jones) are going to be the leaders this year. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Gabe Kalscheur: It will be a lot of fun, since Tre and Daniel are two of my closest friends. It will be fun. It will be a lot of fun to play with them again.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I saw an article saying he shot just under 37% from 3 for the season.

Thats pretty good. Would love it if that would tick up a percent or 3 before he gets to college.

Thats pretty good. Would love it if that would tick up a percent or 3 before he gets to college.

I'd expect higher for a guy whose biggest strength is shooting. The college line is further back and defenses are better, so in theory his percentage would probably go down at the next level. Unless he's taking a lot of tough shots, which maybe he is, 37% just isn't very impressive for a pure shooter with D1 offers.

5-7 3pt... Shooters are always welcome. Anyone have a more recent highlight video?

He has anywhere near those kinds of numbers he is going to blow up, this is when improvement seems to be most noticeable, Davison really didn't have great numbers prior to the AAU season of his Junior year and he raised his profile immensely, Kalschuer is at least as athletic as Davison and probably more so.

He has anywhere near those kinds of numbers he is going to blow up, this is when improvement seems to be most noticeable, Davison really didn't have great numbers prior to the AAU season of his Junior year and he raised his profile immensely, Kalschuer is at least as athletic as Davison and probably more so.
Much more athletic than Davison. He is a good athlete, good defender, and good shooter which definitely fits a need for the 2018 class.

Had 26 in a win against Mac Irvin. 9-11 from the field, 2-4 from 3.

I haven't been 100% sold in Kalscheur before but if he has a couple more games like this and keeps it up throughout the spring then I'll definitely take a commitment from him.

Had 26 in a win against Mac Irvin. 9-11 from the field, 2-4 from 3.

I haven't been 100% sold in Kalscheur before but if he has a couple more games like this and keeps it up throughout the spring then I'll definitely take a commitment from him.

Agreed. Looking like he is stepping it up against good competition reminiscent of Davison last year.

My initial thoughts from afar on Gabe was he was just a perimeter player with a decent shot. After watching him play on TV in the State Tournament, I was really impressed with what else he brought to the table. His handled was decent but what stood out the most was how much he played under the basket, rebounded and he wasn't afraid to get physical. His lack of P5 offers/interest is puzzling to me. I wouldn't offer the kid if I really thought he was an "end of the bench" player but that's not what I saw when I watched him play. I'm sure others that have seem him play on a regular basis would have more to offer than I do on his overall potential.

Top Bottom