All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

Hopefully he's a diamond in the rough given the lack of big time offers. I'll keep an open mind but people who are Kalscheur relatives or who have some other undisclosed affiliation who are stating that it is a slam dunk need to chill a bit (eg HD)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've never seen a EYBL game, so for those of you who have, what's the general quality of the defensive play? Is it decent regular season high school level or non-existent all-star game level? Just trying to put Gabe's recent performances into contex to understand how impressive they've really been.

Games I went to were highly competitive. I'd say the defense is much better than any high school games as they athletes are so much better. It's nothing like and allstar game if that's what your thinking.

I've never seen a EYBL game, so for those of you who have, what's the general quality of the defensive play? Is it decent regular season high school level or non-existent all-star game level? Just trying to put Gabe's recent performances into contex to understand how impressive they've really been.

Closer to the former. If anyone compares the EYBL to an all-star game, they are 100% clueless. The two aren't even comparable.

Glad we've had an offer out to him for a while now. Can't be accused of being late to the party.

He had 20 today, 4-10 from 3.

Averaging 17 PPG, 49% from 3 (30-61) through 8 games on a 7-1 team.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Closer to the former. If anyone compares the EYBL to an all-star game, they are 100% clueless. The two aren't even comparable.

It's def better than high school games. I don't know what high school games you have been watching but I coach at a 4A school that was ranked in the top 10 last year and there aren't many high school teams that are good defensively. EYBL have the best athletes going at it and competing at a very high level. Def not anywhere near all star game level

It's def better than high school games. I don't know what high school games you have been watching but I coach at a 4A school that was ranked in the top 10 last year and there aren't many high school teams that are good defensively. EYBL have the best athletes going at it and competing at a very high level. Def not anywhere near all star game level

I was talking more about defensive effort than talent. The talent on the defensive end is obviously far superior at the EYBL than it is at virtually any high school game. Some regular high school teams might have more consistent effort and fewer mental mistakes, depending on their coaching. Overall the defensive effort is probably roughly the same though. That's all I meant. There's usually more defensive talent at all-star games than regular season high school games, but the effort there is usually abysmal.

Glad we've had an offer out to him for a while now. Can't be accused of being late to the party.

Totally agree with this.

In the times I've seen Kalscheur, I wasn't all that impressed. Didn't see a high-major SG. But I'll subscribe to the idea that you might as well keep recruiting him for exactly the scenario that seems to be potentially arising. He blows up and you've done your work early with him, building a good relationship. Didn't happen with Davison and when there might've been a loyalty to stay home, there was probably a little "screw you for not noticing me before" in his mind.

If Kalscheur never panned out, you don't extend him a commitable offer. If he's heating up and playing well here, you were the first high-major team in on him. And if he's playing this well for a team that's doing this well in that setting, there's clearly more there than I thought.

According to Marcus Fuller, he is also leading the EYBL in 3's made at 30.

Totally agree with this.

In the times I've seen Kalscheur, I wasn't all that impressed. Didn't see a high-major SG. But I'll subscribe to the idea that you might as well keep recruiting him for exactly the scenario that seems to be potentially arising. He blows up and you've done your work early with him, building a good relationship. Didn't happen with Davison and when there might've been a loyalty to stay home, there was probably a little "screw you for not noticing me before" in his mind.

If Kalscheur never panned out, you don't extend him a commitable offer. If he's heating up and playing well here, you were the first high-major team in on him. And if he's playing this well for a team that's doing this well in that setting, there's clearly more there than I thought.

Yet he keeps slow playing us. We're better than that at this point

Yet he keeps slow playing us. We're better than that at this point

More likely that we are slow playing him than the other way around. I don't think he had a committable offer up until now if he even does have one. I'm sure we could get a commitment out of him if we put the full court press on.

More likely that we are slow playing him than the other way around. I don't think he had a committable offer up until now if he even does have one. I'm sure we could get a commitment out of him if we put the full court press on.

I wouldn't consider a 2018 kid who hasn't committed yet "slow-playing"

If he hasn't committed yet in like August after the EYBL season ends, maybe we could say he's slow-playing.

While he's played well, I still wouldn't be quite all-in on Kalscheur yet. I'm encouraged by the way he's playing and a lot more interested in him now than I was even 6 weeks ago, but I'm not ready to say he's a can't miss prospect for the Gophers. Keep recruiting him. Keep recruiting a ton of wings.

I wouldn't consider a 2018 kid who hasn't committed yet "slow-playing"

If he hasn't committed yet in like August after the EYBL season ends, maybe we could say he's slow-playing.

While he's played well, I still wouldn't be quite all-in on Kalscheur yet. I'm encouraged by the way he's playing and a lot more interested in him now than I was even 6 weeks ago, but I'm not ready to say he's a can't miss prospect for the Gophers. Keep recruiting him. Keep recruiting a ton of wings.

I'm not arguing he's slow playing us, I'm arguing we are slow playing him/doesn't have a committable offer yet. Did you mean to quote Jamalo?

2018 kids are not slow playing anyone. 85% 0f the top 300 have not verballed yet. Lots of visits to still take. The dominoes will start soon enough. Gabe has an offer he can take now but these kids are smart. Unless they get their dream school they are going to take their visits and they should.

I'm not arguing he's slow playing us, I'm arguing we are slow playing him/doesn't have a committable offer yet. Did you mean to quote Jamalo?

Yes my bad.

I agree with you. I don't really care about who is slowplaying who at this point because it is so early. I'm just glad they haven't ignored him - even if he doesn't turn out to be as good as he's played lately, if he blows up and we don't get him, at least we can't say we didn't try like was the case with Davison.

fair point

2018 kids are not slow playing anyone. 85% 0f the top 300 have not verballed yet. Lots of visits to still take. The dominoes will start soon enough. Gabe has an offer he can take now but these kids are smart. Unless they get their dream school they are going to take their visits and they should.

agree with your points but his comments made me pause. Probably nothing given his youth

agree with your points but his comments made me pause. Probably nothing given his youth

His comments seem immature (maybe not for his age) but he may also just be one of those kids that cherish the attention he gets from not committing to a school. Although many fans may lament that, I'm certain some kids feed off the increased attention they are getting.

Committing early actually seems like the wrong thing to do from the player's perspective. You look at someone like Mark Smith in the 2017 class and he went from your regular P5 recruit to a guy MSU, Kentucky and Duke were fighting over because he waited til' the very end. Gabe's doing exactly what he should be doing and seeing how many offers he can rack up this summer. These kids have worked their whole life to get to this point and if they want to enjoy the process I can't blame them...I know I would. Gabe seems like he will probably end up being a Gopher and whenever he does I'll be excited about that. Purdue showed us you can never have enough shooting.

Top Bottom