All Things Gabe Kalschuer Recruitment Thread UPDATED KALSCHUER A GOPHER!

Kalscheur had 19 today in a win.

Die Hard are you watching the tourney? If so, how does Kalscheur look? Everyone sees he's shooting the light's out but is he playing well?

This Howard Pulley team has been outstanding in EYBL play which is impressive and it seems like Kalscheur has been a big driving factor in that success. What else does he bring to the table? Is he just a catch-and-shoot guy or is there more to his game?

Shot 6-13 from 3.
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Die Hard are you watching the tourney? If so, how does Kalscheur look? Everyone sees he's shooting the light's out but is he playing well?

This Howard Pulley team has been outstanding in EYBL play which is impressive and it seems like Kalscheur has been a big driving factor in that success. What else does he bring to the table? Is he just a catch-and-shoot guy or is there more to his game?

I've just been looking at the box score. Theres a website to stream these games called flotv.com but its about $10 a month.

I had a chance to watch Pulley in person on Friday night and Kalscheur is indeed a much improved prospect and one that I'd be happy to get a commitment from. I'd say he's one of the best catch and shoot guys in the 2018 class nationally. Wish his release was a bit quicker, but that can be worked on over time. He and Tre Jones have an unbelievable chemistry in the backcourt. Showed an improved ability to put the ball on the floor and he is above average defender. You can tell he's been well schooled at De La Salle as he rarely seemed out of position and did a good job denying the wing. He completely locked down top 100 prospect Jalen Carey in the game I watched, holding him to 2-14 shooting and only 5 points. He's playing extremely well right now and the HM's are starting to jump on board. Only expect the interest to increase over the summer.

He had 12 today, 2-4 from 3.

Still leads the EYBL in total 3's made at 44 (3.66 per game) at 45.8%

I had a chance to watch Pulley in person on Friday night and Kalscheur is indeed a much improved prospect and one that I'd be happy to get a commitment from. I'd say he's one of the best catch and shoot guys in the 2018 class nationally. Wish his release was a bit quicker, but that can be worked on over time. He and Tre Jones have an unbelievable chemistry in the backcourt. Showed an improved ability to put the ball on the floor and he is above average defender. You can tell he's been well schooled at De La Salle as he rarely seemed out of position and did a good job denying the wing. He completely locked down top 100 prospect Jalen Carey in the game I watched, holding him to 2-14 shooting and only 5 points. He's playing extremely well right now and the HM's are starting to jump on board. Only expect the interest to increase over the summer.

Before I was worried that if we got a commitment from him he wouldn't be any good for us.

Now I'm starting to worry that there might be too much competition for him and we won't get him at all. :)

I do ultimately think he will be a gopher though but he will definitely get some good offers that we'll need to beat out.

Also who was Pulley's 5th starter besides Tre, Jarvis, Daniel and Gabe?

per Marcus blog:

With Pulley dominating the EBYL so far, Gophers fans are trying to imagine Jones, Kalscheur, Oturu and Thomas teaming together in college and winning a Big Ten championship in maroon and gold. Interest from the home state program is growing, but Thomas doesn't have a Gophers offer yet. Oturu has already been trying to convince uncommitted Kalscheur and Jones to follow him since he became Richard Pitino's first 2018 recruit earlier this year.

“Daniel talks to me about coming to the U a lot,” Kalscheur said. “I just laugh and I say, ‘I don’t know yet.’ I’ve talked to Tre about (us) going to the U. But it’s kind of hard knowing where everyone else is going to go yet. It’s a little too early.”

Kalscheur is averaging 17.2 points, 2.2 assists, 2.2 rebounds and shooting 46 percent from three-point range in 12 EYBL games. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound shooting guard attended many Gophers games this season and is constantly in contact with assistant Ben Johnson and Pitino.

"It was great to see they had a great year," he said. "It erases what happened there in the past. That's really good for their program."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...oward-pulley-s-hot-start-and-the-u/422373693/

Go Gophers!!

Nice pure jump shot. Repeated consistently.

I agree I'm fully sold on Gabe after seeing more and more of him not being the focal point. Now his jumpshot looks a lot more consistent because he's getting open looks while he is surrounded by talent. His release is slow but he has time to speed that up plus working with college coaches will help speed that up.

I agree I'm fully sold on Gabe after seeing more and more of him not being the focal point. Now his jumpshot looks a lot more consistent because he's getting open looks while he is surrounded by talent. His release is slow but he has time to speed that up plus working with college coaches will help speed that up.

Next step is to run off screens and hit that jumper. You had to wait until late in that highlight video to see him catching after running around a screen as opposed to standing still. If he does that he could be our (or someone else's I guess) version of Bryn Forbes by his senior year.

Next step is to run off screens and hit that jumper. You had to wait until late in that highlight video to see him catching after running around a screen as opposed to standing still. If he does that he could be our (or someone else's I guess) version of Bryn Forbes by his senior year.

Yup and I think he will get a lot of work to learn how to do that and get better at it. Hoff came in more as a catch in shoot and improve shooting off the move and dribble during college

GopherHole Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur Talks Recruiting, Upcoming Visit to Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/800676?referrer_id=331171

Gabe Kalscheur, a 6-foot-2, 189-pound junior guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, is considered one of the top players in the Minnesota Class of 2018. Kalscheur received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last summer.

Kalscheur averaged 18.1 points per game as junior for the Islanders, who finished 27-3, winning a state record sixth straight championship. He scored in double figures in all but one games, including a season-best 30 points versus Fridley. He shined in the postseason, averaging 19.5 points in the section playoffs and 20.3 points in the state tournament, including 20 points in the state tournament championship 72-44 win over Austin.

Kalscheur scored 27 points to lead DeLaSalle to a 79-56 victory over Fergus Falls in the 3A title game in 2016 to become the first boy's team in Minnesota history to win five straight state championships.

Kalscheur recently caught up with Gopher Hole to talk about the latest on his recruitment, summer plans and upcoming senior season.

Gopher Hole: You guys are off to a great start AAU-wise. How pleased are you with how well you guys are playing?

Gabe Kalscheur: Really pleased. We just came out strong and we are going to finish strong. The goal is to go to Peach Jam and win it.

Gopher Hole: You have some guys back from last year like yourself, Daniel Oturu and Tre Jones, but you added a couple of new pieces like Jarvis Thomas, who seems to have played really well with you guys. How hard has it been to get that chemistry going?

Gabe Kalscheur: Not that hard. The first game was a little struggle because it was our first time playing, actually. I think is why we lost our first game, but after that, we have been coasting.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have been very pleased. I have been shooting the ball very well. I have been playing at a high level and it has been an honor.

Gopher Hole: I think that you had one game where you had 32 points and were seven of eight from three-point range. Were you feeling it that day?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, I was. I hit my first two in a row and then I was feeling it and Tre (Jones) kept giving me the ball and everyone kept giving the ball. It was all good.

Gopher Hole: Was that a game that coaches were allowed to be at?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes.

Gopher Hole: I think that you picked up a couple of new offers from Pittsburgh and Bowling Green. You are up to five. What other schools are you hearing from besides the schools that have offered you now?

Gabe Kalscheur: I have been hearing a little bit from Colorado.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about trying to make some visits at all?

Gabe Kalscheur: I am going to try to talk to my parents about visiting in the summer, like June when we are off.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought, I know that it is still a ways away, about when you would even try to decide on a school? Would you try to sign in the fall or have you even thought that far yet?

Gabe Kalscheur: I said that I am going to commit after AAU, like before school starts.

Gopher Hole: What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Gabe Kalscheur: If it feels like home, because DeLaSalle feels like home to me and I want some place that wants me for me and my personality and my game and will use me to get me to the next level in the NBA or overseas, wherever that gets me. .

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you guys have won six straight titles, but you are going to have a different look without coach Thorson. What is that going to be like?

Gabe Kalscheur: It is going to be different. It is going to be new. That could be a good thing and a bad thing, but hopefully, it is a good thing.

Gopher Hole: What has he meant to you as a coach?

Gabe Kalscheur: He's meant a lot. He has been a figure to resemble on and off the court. Not the yellingness, but how to talk verbally on and off the court.

Gopher Hole: He has been a college coach and now he is going back into college. Do you that has helped you since he knows what it takes to play at that level?

Gabe Kalscheur: Exactly. Defense is a big part of playing at a high level in college and also maybe starting your freshman year, so I think that I am set for defense.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to any college or individual camps this summer?

Gabe Kalscheur: Hopefully, I can make it to one of the basketball academies (on the Nike circuit). So hopefully, I can make it to that.

Gopher Hole: How about your team? Are you playing in anything for DeLaSalle?

Gabe Kalscheur: I don't know if we'll do a team camp, because we don't have a coach yet (DeLaSalle hired former player Travis Bledsoe as their new head coach four days after this interview).

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are going to be the favorite again to win another title. What would it mean to win a title every year that you played?

Gabe Kalscheur: It would mean a lot because people have done it before me and I want to be in that line to do it again. This one will be different because Thorson wouldn't be there, so it will be like my state championship. .

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the homestate school. I know that you are close to Ben Johnson because he is a DeLaSalle guy. What are the Gophers saying to you?

Gabe Kalscheur: They want me to come down and visit the new facility that is being upgraded. I think that I am going to do that soon.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Q&A post U visit with Marcus:

Q: How did Minnesota’s new facility look when you took an unofficial visit Monday?

A: It was really cool. Pretty sure there was like five levels. The gym where the team will practice in was really huge, it’s really big. It’s cool that they’ll have nutrition (center) that will have food for the athletes. They had an indoor ball rack built into the walls. There’s a really nice view in the gym looking out to the (city).

Q: How big is it to see Richard Pitino’s program making huge strides on the court and in upgrading facilities?

A: It’s really big. It’s cool how they’re getting up to date on their new facilities. DeLaSalle doesn’t have the fanciest locker rooms or weight rooms, so we get by with what we have. But what Minnesota is building right now is something special.

Q: There was speculation that you might make a decision soon. What’s your timetable?

A: I’m going to wait until after the Peach Jam (July 12-16) and the tournament in Vegas (Vegas Classic July 26-30) and see if I get some other offers or if I don’t. Then, I’ll some time plan some official visits maybe in August and September. Hopefully, I can make my decision before the season starts.

Q: Is there a chance you could commit before taking official visits?

A: That’s not really in my thought process right now. I’m not sure about that.

Q: Are you surprised more high-major scholarship offers haven’t come after such a great start to the AAU season (Kalscheur’s best offers are from Minnesota and Pittsburgh)?

A: A little bit. I feel like I’m slept on a little bit, but that’s my motivation to keep playing how I play and keep (working hard) when I get out there.

http://www.startribune.com/delasall...471193/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Q&A post U visit with Marcus:

Q: How did Minnesota’s new facility look when you took an unofficial visit Monday?

A: It was really cool. Pretty sure there was like five levels. The gym where the team will practice in was really huge, it’s really big. It’s cool that they’ll have nutrition (center) that will have food for the athletes. They had an indoor ball rack built into the walls. There’s a really nice view in the gym looking out to the (city).

Q: How big is it to see Richard Pitino’s program making huge strides on the court and in upgrading facilities?

A: It’s really big. It’s cool how they’re getting up to date on their new facilities. DeLaSalle doesn’t have the fanciest locker rooms or weight rooms, so we get by with what we have. But what Minnesota is building right now is something special.

Q: There was speculation that you might make a decision soon. What’s your timetable?

A: I’m going to wait until after the Peach Jam (July 12-16) and the tournament in Vegas (Vegas Classic July 26-30) and see if I get some other offers or if I don’t. Then, I’ll some time plan some official visits maybe in August and September. Hopefully, I can make my decision before the season starts.

Q: Is there a chance you could commit before taking official visits?

A: That’s not really in my thought process right now. I’m not sure about that.

Q: Are you surprised more high-major scholarship offers haven’t come after such a great start to the AAU season (Kalscheur’s best offers are from Minnesota and Pittsburgh)?

A: A little bit. I feel like I’m slept on a little bit, but that’s my motivation to keep playing how I play and keep (working hard) when I get out there.

http://www.startribune.com/delasall...471193/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

I get why he wants to wait and weigh options, but it doesn't sound good to me that he is stalling. If he really wanted to be here, he would be saying so now. It does seem odd that he is not getting the high major offers with the season he is having. There must be something that is holding them back.

I get why he wants to wait and weigh options, but it doesn't sound good to me that he is stalling. If he really wanted to be here, he would be saying so now. It does seem odd that he is not getting the high major offers with the season he is having. There must be something that is holding them back.

Why would he say that now?

Why would he say that now?

Yeah I also disagree with the notion that "if he wanted to be here, he would have committed by now." Guys like Hurt and Oturu have been the exception of late. A lot of our commits, at least when Tubby was here, were in September, including Coffey and Curry most recently. It's possible he just wants to see what other options present themselves to him, while keeping the Gophers in strong consideration.

What holds them back is quickness is in question. He also will have trouble guarding more than one position at the next level. Really like his game but when you see them play Jones sets him up so well.

I dunno

I watched him play up close in person at MSHSL tournament. He's a "nice" player. I know he is said to be shutting down people defensively this summer, but in the state tournament...he was not quick.
Many, many guys were quicker than him on the floor. I'd say that's the reason. I question his ability to defend or get anything but open look shots versus quicker stronger competition. I know, he's reportedly on fire this summer. I'm just offering a possible reason why he doesn't have better offers. Stating what I saw in March. (Michael Hurt, Gilbert etc projections)

Yeah I also disagree with the notion that "if he wanted to be here, he would have committed by now." Guys like Hurt and Oturu have been the exception of late. A lot of our commits, at least when Tubby was here, were in September, including Coffey and Curry most recently. It's possible he just wants to see what other options present themselves to him, while keeping the Gophers in strong consideration.

Jarvis too.

Chill out. You worry too much. Why would he want to go anywhere else:confused: That same #6 bus he now takes to DeLaSalle will in future get him to the U. He'll never pass up a perk like that!

Chill out. You worry too much. Why would he want to go anywhere else:confused: That same #6 bus he now takes to DeLaSalle will in future get him to the U. He'll never pass up a perk like that!

Lol the 6. Great route

Top Bottom