Gophers will play Vandy in Sioux Falls

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Date announced anywhere yet?

As a Minnesota native and Gopher fan, Sioux Falls resident, Sanford employee, and soon to be Vanderbilt graduate student this fall, I'm a tad bit excited for this matchup. Though the odds of me coming back from Nashville for it are slim.

Date announced anywhere yet?

As a Minnesota native and Gopher fan, Sioux Falls resident, Sanford employee, and soon to be Vanderbilt graduate student this fall, I'm a tad bit excited for this matchup. Though the odds of me coming back from Nashville for it are slim.

Date hasn't been mentioned.

Anyone know what kind of team Vandy will have next year, I know there coach left, Baldwin went to the NBA.

My tickets are at Williams Arena. Why should I be excited about scheduling a decent opponent for an out of town game?

Anyone know what kind of team Vandy will have next year, I know there coach left, Baldwin went to the NBA.

Bryce Drew is new Vandy coach. Excellent hire in my opinion.

Lose their top two scorers (early-entry) to NBA Draft (Baldwin 14.1 ppg and Jones 13.9 ppg). 3rd through 8th leading scorers return, unless someone transferred that I'm not aware of. Junior-to-be guard Riley LaChance (6.9 ppg, 36.1% from 3) was someone Pitino recruited out of Brookfield, Wis.

Sweet. So Vandy + Arkansas + FSU + non-conference tournament?

Sweet. So Vandy + Arkansas + FSU + non-conference tournament?

Assumption now is Gophers pulled out of the Las Vegas tournament. In its place likely are 4 "exempt" home games, 1 believed to be Arkansas, the other 3 almost assuredly will be cupcakes.

If Gophers still in the Las Vegas tourney (2 of Alabama/BYU/Valpo), then this truly is an aggressive non-conference schedule.

Nice game wonder when it will be. I think they've had a game at the Sanford Pentagon the last couple years during the 24 hour tipoff marathon would be cool to be part of that.

Assumption now is Gophers pulled out of the Las Vegas tournament. In its place likely are 4 "exempt" home games, 1 believed to be Arkansas, the other 3 almost assuredly will be cupcakes.

If Gophers still in the Las Vegas tourney (2 of Alabama/BYU/Valpo), then this truly is an aggressive non-conference schedule.

How do you get exempt home games without being part of a tournament? Can you just declare it now?

Nice game wonder when it will be. I think they've had a game at the Sanford Pentagon the last couple years during the 24 hour tipoff marathon would be cool to be part of that.

Given when the St. John's game is (Nov. 18) I doubt it. Otherwise those would likely be the first two games back-to-back.

Given when the St. John's game is (Nov. 18) I doubt it. Otherwise those would likely be the first two games back-to-back.

Plus Vandy already has Marquette to open the season in the Veteran's Classic on Nov 11. I would guess our game against Vandy will be Dec 10. Same weekend as the Sioux Falls game last year.

How do you get exempt home games without being part of a tournament? Can you just declare it now?

There are exempt tournaments (like Maui) and there are exempt Multi-Team Events (MTE). Both you can play a max of 4 games. MTE usually has 5 teams, meaning 4 games for each team. Gophers would get 4 home games, or perhaps 3 + a neutral-siter.

Someone fill me in. Why Sioux Falls? Is it money? If so how can it be more money to play in Sioux Falls in a 3200 seat arena than in Minneapolis?

Someone fill me in. Why Sioux Falls? Is it money? If so how can it be more money to play in Sioux Falls in a 3200 seat arena than in Minneapolis?

Denny Sanford. Gopher alum and donor. His name is on the arena where we play in Sioux Falls. He's a billionaire businessman in South Dakota. I assume he lives in Sioux Falls, but don't know for sure.

My tickets are at Williams Arena. Why should I be excited about scheduling a decent opponent for an out of town game?

I agree. Last years home opponents at the barn was a joke. Why play a good team in South Dakota?

Denny ponies up $$ to get several games every year. One year Wisconsin did. Last year MN and IA St. Not sure why Iowa has not yet.

Denny ponies up $$ to get several games every year. One year Wisconsin did. Last year MN and IA St. Not sure why Iowa has not yet.

He also got some good mid majors to play (MTSU and FGCU) to play South Dakota and South Dakota State.

12,000 seats. It will probably be the largest crowd of the season. [emoji41]

It'll be December 3

Same day as B1G Football Championship.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Say what you want about Sioux Falls, they support college hoops. These preseason games have filled their arena, and they sell out both the men's and women's Summit League conference tournament every year. Sounds like a great environment for college basketball.

Am cool with Pitino having these neutral-site games as long as there are a couple quality home games on the non-conference schedule for the season-ticket holders. That certainly applies this coming season with two that we know of, Saint Johns & Arkansas.

But if it's like 2014-15, when we played Louisville at a neutral site, but had no quality home games to speak of? That's a no-no.

Top Bottom