Welsh Ryan to get $110MM complete renovation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This may put our beloved Barn as the most outdated venue in the Big Ten once Northwestern completes this major project.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Seems like yesterday that the Barn was renovated, but it's been nearly a quarter century.

Whenever they remodel Williams, bet it's going to look really cool. Modernized, but still keep plenty if not all its old charm. Don't need to tear it down, just give the ole' girl a new makeover.

Whenever they remodel Williams, bet it's going to look really cool. Modernized, but still keep plenty if not all its old charm. Don't need to tear it down, just give the ole' girl a new makeover.

Yes to this, SS.

Right on. Update the concourse and some of the seating. Probably a few other things too. But keep that charm

I understand the need to update for many reasons, but selfishly....I like it just the way it is. It's like steeping back into your childhood every time you enter the arena. The tight concourses, the old bathrooms, the obstructed view seats are all a major part of the "charm" that I think will go away with remodeling.

I understand the need to update for many reasons, but selfishly....I like it just the way it is. It's like steeping back into your childhood every time you enter the arena. The tight concourses, the old bathrooms, the obstructed view seats are all a major part of the "charm" that I think will go away with remodeling.

I agree.

The sights, smells (popcorn!), sounds of Williams are unique.

Let the practice facility be shiny and new. I like the arena the way it is. Hell if it were up to me, they'd rip out the stadium seats and put all benches back in.

As recently as five or ten years ago I was in the camp that would've sat in the building to stop a wrecking ball from tearing down Williams Arena. But no more. Mariucci, Excel and others have shown me that the new arenas can be terrific for fans. With recently money raised for TCF Bank Stadium and the new practice facilities, it won't happen. But I wish it could.

Renovate? How? How do you eliminate the tiny concourses? How do you eliminate the obstructed seats? There's some opportunity with the connection to the Pavilion, but limited.

Oh well, there's no money to renovate, either.

Who is Welsh Ryan? Seems like a lot of money for a boob job and tummy tuck. I wonder if she is getting the under coating

I agree.

The sights, smells (popcorn!), sounds of Williams are unique.

Let the practice facility be shiny and new. I like the arena the way it is. Hell if it were up to me, they'd rip out the stadium seats and put all benches back in.

Agree with you on the practice facility. Let that be the shiny modern toy. Players spend more time there anyway. The arena is more for the fans.

Coyle should have a plan in place on the future of The Barn within 18 months.

Whenever they remodel Williams, bet it's going to look really cool. Modernized, but still keep plenty if not all its old charm. Don't need to tear it down, just give the ole' boy a new makeover.

FIFY.

Or else I agree!

FIFY.

Or else I agree!

I am on the fence as far as saving Williams Arena, but Northwestern needs to reconsider this and tear down that dump. In fact they need to tear down the FB stadium as well and start over. NU has huge resources and plenty of money from sports driven alums as wll, and doing it right is not the priority it seems to be at Stanford at least.

Keeping the historic East side of the FB stadium and rebuilding everything else seems like a good idea. That basketball arena is awful and need to go. They could play at Loyola or UIC for a year.

Williams is iconic. However it is vastly limited in it's ability to be modernized. All you can really do is slap some more paint on it and add more seats reducing capacity.

Spend a season playing at Target Center or the X and do the renovation right.

Renovate? How? How do you eliminate the tiny concourses?

Build a new entry to the south-sw side (into the existing bituminous/parking lot). Make the concourse twice as wide on the SSW side and add food vendors on each side, new bathrooms etc. That is the only way I can see them fixing up the Barn to be functional.

Walking the halls to grab a bite or take a leak at halftime is a nightmare.

Top Bottom