Ex-Baylor OL BJ Autry recent visit to Minnesota??

GameDay

Reaction score
Sounds like 6'4, 320 lb tackle Branton "BJ" Autry was once Florida Gators commit, turned JUCO All-American, turned projected Baylor starting offensive lineman this year before leaving the program recently. Visited Minnesota this past weekend, but still murky as to what the details are regarding him and the Gophers status with him right now. Good news is, if the Gophers end up landing him he's eligible immediately (for one or two years? not sure) and allows the Gophers to put him and Pirsig at tackle, Calhoun and Wright and guard, and Moore at center, with guys like Mayes and Connelly adding depth to the O-Line. This would be a big get! Fingers crossed.

If he is fully eligible and signs with the Gophers, we'd have an even better 2016 class. More importantly, this is one more part of the 300+lb protection package for Mitch Leidner to light up the offense.

Baylor guy leaving that program at this point in time? Proceeding with caution probably would be wise.

Baylor guy leaving that program at this point in time? Proceeding with caution probably would be wise.

With the coaching situation, a lot of guys who weren't involved in the scandal may be leaving. If he was a juco, then he wasn't even there when all the crap went down.

With the coaching situation, a lot of guys who weren't involved in the scandal may be leaving. If he was a juco, then he wasn't even there when all the crap went down.

That's another way to look at it, but one look at his Twitter account which has several references to "hoes" would tend to give me pause, especially if I was Baylor.

That's another way to look at it, but one look at his Twitter account which has several references to "hoes" would tend to give me pause, especially if I was Baylor.

Actually, I think at Baylor that would be a green light, all systems go get him on campus.

Why did he have to go JCO?
Academics, hard to believe that would be an issue at either place or not good enough to break into the depth chart?

Academics, hard to believe that would be an issue at either place or not good enough to break into the depth chart?
Who cares we've had plenty of success in the Kill/Claeys era with JUCOs. If there are no red flags with his character I say go for it. Baylor's about to be open season for the rest of the NCAA.

:banghead::banghead: Please give it a rest. This program has a pretty good success rate with the JC transfers academically speaking. It's not as if Baylor is such an easy school to get accepted to either.

I did some research we need to proceed with extreme caution. He was involved in an April incident with another JUCO transfer involving, consensual sex with one and non consensual sex with the other. The exact facts are not known, but it sounds like Autry was the one that had consensual sex, by being present and allowing the non consensual sex to happen doesn't look good. If he was a participant it's worse.

nsmike, I have heard conflicting reports with what you have stated.

While early reports indicated there were 2 players dismissed, media reports are saying BJ Autry left without accusation and Jeremy Faulk left under suspicion of sexual assault. I have seen multiple articles supporting this, including this recent article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ture-of-baylor-dl-jeremy-faulk-153140225.html

Outside of very early speculation, I have not seen any accusations BJ Autry was involved in sexual shenanigans. Can you clarify where you heard this info? Is there a link you could provide? Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions on a potential good player for the Gophers?

I trust the coaching staff. They want Good Men and Good Students on their team. If he left Baylor because of either, we won't extend an offer, simple as that.

nsmike, I have heard conflicting reports with what you have stated.

While early reports indicated there were 2 players dismissed, media reports are saying BJ Autry left without accusation and Jeremy Faulk left under suspicion of sexual assault. I have seen multiple articles supporting this, including this recent article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ture-of-baylor-dl-jeremy-faulk-153140225.html

Outside of very early speculation, I have not seen any accusations BJ Autry was involved in sexual shenanigans. Can you clarify where you heard this info? Is there a link you could provide? Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions on a potential good player for the Gophers?
From the article "But when Outside the Lines reached her Thursday, she did not verify his account and instead said that Faulk and the other player "forced me to do things that I didn't want to do against my own consent." She declined to go into any further detail about what happened. " That quote by it's self is enough to urge caution!

He was involved in a criminal incident to whatever degree. Walk away

Ya regardless of where he's transferring from, we can't afford that kind of press, as an athletic department were not really in a position to take chances right now

Sounds like 6'4, 320 lb tackle Branton "BJ" Autry was once Florida Gators commit, turned JUCO All-American, turned projected Baylor starting offensive lineman this year before leaving the program recently. Visited Minnesota this past weekend, but still murky as to what the details are regarding him and the Gophers status with him right now. Good news is, if the Gophers end up landing him he's eligible immediately (for one or two years? not sure) and allows the Gophers to put him and Pirsig at tackle, Calhoun and Wright and guard, and Moore at center, with guys like Mayes and Connelly adding depth to the O-Line. This would be a big get! Fingers crossed.

No, he wouldn't. Autry was a mid-year transfer who spent the past semester at Baylor. He would have to sit out a year.

I dont think we can take the risk if he has a criminal record

Again, I don't think BJ Autry has a sordid history, he stepped away from the Baylor program. Just to clarify, there were original reports that 2 players were dismissed from the team. Those media reports have been amended, and one player stepped away (BJ Autry-the player linked to the Gophers), and the other player was dismissed due to having a record of sexual assault. There are no reports stating the player we supposedly have visiting is in legal trouble, sexual trouble, etc. If you read the most recent media reports (anything within the last 3 days), you can get his whole story.

Now, there may be more that comes out (as there is in many cases), but this was a player we were previously recruiting and he has a relationship with our OC.

From what I am reading, this could be a good situation for us.

There is a difference between being cautious and passing on the young man. It wouldn't be surprising that the coaches pass, because we're coming up on the late enrollment deadline for summer session, there just might not be enough time to do the due diligence required. They might decide to do the due diligence, if he passes let him enroll for fall semester, which means he wouldn't be here until 3 Aug at the earliest.

I can't handle the character issues we had with Brew. If there is any doubt, walk away. Bringing in good kids is the #1 reason I liked Kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't handle the character issues we had with Brew. If there is any doubt, walk away. Bringing in good kids is the #1 reason I liked Kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. I'd rather lose with good kids than win with bad ones. Hopefully we get all good ones and still figure out a way to win.

It all depends on how desperate Claeys is and how very cautious the new AD should be.
The fact that he is a JCO is not the problem. The problem is why is he a JCO?

Top Bottom