Don Lucia glad to have AD who 'actually knows where Mariucci is'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

During Mark Coyle’s first stint at the University of Minnesota, his office was at Mariucci Arena, in the Gophers marketing department. He was there in 2002 and 2003, when Don Lucia’s men’s hockey team won NCAA titles.

Now Coyle has returned as Minnesota’s new athletics director.

“The great news for us in hockey is, we’re going to have an AD who actually knows where Mariucci Arena is,” Lucia said Wednesday, on the final leg of the Gopher Road Trip at Somerby Golf Club.

That zinger was aimed at former AD Norwood Teague, who was seldom seen at Mariucci during his three-year tenure.

Lucia had a closer working relationship with Beth Goetz, but as interim AD, she left his contract situation up to the next permanent AD.

Lucia, 57, is entering the final year of his contract. Any decision to extend that contract will be Coyle’s call.

“I’m sure we’re going to sit down and talk,” Lucia said. “Mark’s only been on the job for one week right now, so I think that’ll be a discussion point here relatively soon.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...o-actually-knows-where-mariucci-is/382305291/

Go Gophers!!

A lot of the fans this year didn't seem to know where Mariucci was either Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart to pump the tires of the person you're looking for an extension from.

Considering that his seat is the warmest of the three, is not a bad idea to start warming up to your boss.

. ... “The great news for us in hockey is, we’re going to have an AD who actually knows where Mariucci Arena is,” Lucia said Wednesday, on the final leg of the Gopher Road Trip at Somerby Golf Club.

That zinger was aimed at former AD Norwood Teague, who was seldom seen at Mariucci during his three-year tenure.

That may be true knowing Woody's affinity for basketball, but that doesn't change the fact Mariucci Arena (like Williams Arena) has become a morgue for the lion's share of home games.

mega tongue doing what mega tongue does

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's a damn shame one of the most storied programs in college hockey history doesn't even play on an NHL type rink. Figure it out Minnesota, your rink is a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually thought I heard they are changing Mariucci to NHL size...Is that true?

http://www.startribune.com/with-mar...t-in-april-gophers-could-use-boost/374009561/

It's on the list:

“Mariucci was built in ’93. There have been a lot of facilities built and upgraded since that time. We need to do our upgrades, too,” Lucia said after the renovations were approved. He helped lead the fundraising campaign and eventually expects the rink size to be updated to NHL standards.

“The rink size is the last phase. … Everything we want to do first is for the players, their development and their comfort. That’s why this area has to be done first,” Lucia added. “The weight room will be second and everything else down the line.”

Top Bottom