Claeys: This will be the best Minnesota team we’ve had since I’ve been here

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Mankato Free Press:

Football coach Tracey Claeys, who will coaching for the first time in 21 years without mentor Jerry Kill, takes over the Gopher program full-time this season. He believes things are looking good for his program this fall.

“This is going to be the best Minnesota team we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Claeys said. “I base that on the talent in the program and the senior leadership we will have this year. This is a group of guys that loves to play football.”

The Gophers are scheduled to open the 2016 season on Thursday, Sept. 1, with a game against Oregon State at TCF Bank Stadium.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...cle_f655872e-2d2f-11e6-9655-3333eed83cee.html

Go Gophers!!

The Strib and PiPress are working feverishly on their next hatchet job articles to offset this bit of positivity.

I like the positive statements from the coach, but it's a very fine line Claeys has to walk. You want to instill confidence in your players and let them know you expect them to do well without going full Jeezo Peezo or getting everyone's chili too hot.

I like the positive statements from the coach, but it's a very fine line Claeys has to walk. You want to instill confidence in your players and let them know you expect them to do well without going full Jeezo Peezo or getting everyone's chili too hot.

Agreed. This is the of statement that can get a coach ridiculed if (now lofty) expectations are not met. He could have easily qualified the statement, noting "If the team continues to work hard and keep its focus, and barring significant injuries, I think we could have one of the best teams since I've been here..."

per the Mankato Free Press:

Football coach Tracey Claeys, who will coaching for the first time in 21 years without mentor Jerry Kill, takes over the Gopher program full-time this season. He believes things are looking good for his program this fall.

“This is going to be the best Minnesota team we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Claeys said. “I base that on the talent in the program and the senior leadership we will have this year. This is a group of guys that loves to play football.”

The Gophers are scheduled to open the 2016 season on Thursday, Sept. 1, with a game against Oregon State at TCF Bank Stadium.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...cle_f655872e-2d2f-11e6-9655-3333eed83cee.html

Go Gophers!!

Good for him and hope he's right.

“This is a great way for us to get out across the state and meet our fans who live outside the metro area,” Coyle said of the tour stop. “I’m from Iowa and my two oldest children were born in Minnesota when I worked here the first time around so I was eager to come back.”

Coyle, 47, served as associate athletic director at Minnesota from 2001-2005. From there he had stints a deputy AD at the University of Kentucky and as AD at both Boise State and Syracuse before taking the Gopher job this spring.

The veteran administrator knows the Gopher athletic image has taken a beating of late, beginning with the dismal record and suspensions in the men’s basketball program, questions concerning travel recruiting budgets of some sports and the recent drug selling allegations in the wrestling program.

“My No. 1 priority right now is just to listen to what the coaches and other administrators are saying,” Coyle said. “There are some internal investigations underway and when those get done we have to make some decisions. I’m trying to be as informed as possible.”

Some look at Coyle as a guy who was plopped into an athletics department mess than was created before his watch, but the new AD said he hasn’t second-guessed his decision to come to the Gophers.

“It’s my job as athletics director to handle these issues,” he said. “What we want to do is point all the programs in the right direction and do things the right way so our student athletes can have the best experience possible.”

Agreed. This is the of statement that can get a coach ridiculed if (now lofty) expectations are not met. He could have easily qualified the statement, noting "If the team continues to work hard and keep its focus, and barring significant injuries, I think we could have one of the best teams since I've been here..."

Respectfully disagree. Jerry Kill did that and was then mocked as "Country Jer" and ol' Jer "can't pull his aw shucks routine now".

Give 'em hell, Claeys.

Respectfully disagree. Jerry Kill did that and was then mocked as "Country Jer" and ol' Jer "can't pull his aw shucks routine now".

Give 'em hell, Claeys.

Agree, TC seems to have an air of confidence about that we're not used to seeing and I like it. His defenses could back it up, now it's time to get the offense going.

TC is a straight shooter. It's his honest opinion. Fans want to know. He's telling us. Nothing more to read into it.

Agree, TC seems to have an air of confidence about that we're not used to seeing and I like it. His defenses could back it up, now it's time to get the offense going.

Actually it was the opposite under Claeys last year. The offense improved and scored points, while the defense struggled. Injuries were a big reason why, but the defense needs to step back up this year.

Yes, when it comes to those who are in positions of leadership.

As for best team, I think on paper last year squad was better when healthy, but if the team can have a better year health wise and take advantage of their schedule than history may remember this as the best team in the Kill/Claeys era to date. Sometimes it isn't the most talented teams that get the job done.

“This is a great way for us to get out across the state and meet our fans who live outside the metro area,” Coyle said of the tour stop. “I’m from Iowa and my two oldest children were born in Minnesota when I worked here the first time around so I was eager to come back.”

Coyle, 47, served as associate athletic director at Minnesota from 2001-2005. From there he had stints a deputy AD at the University of Kentucky and as AD at both Boise State and Syracuse before taking the Gopher job this spring.

The veteran administrator knows the Gopher athletic image has taken a beating of late, beginning with the dismal record and suspensions in the men’s basketball program, questions concerning travel recruiting budgets of some sports and the recent drug selling allegations in the wrestling program.

“My No. 1 priority right now is just to listen to what the coaches and other administrators are saying,” Coyle said. “There are some internal investigations underway and when those get done we have to make some decisions. I’m trying to be as informed as possible.”

Some look at Coyle as a guy who was plopped into an athletics department mess than was created before his watch, but the new AD said he hasn’t second-guessed his decision to come to the Gophers.

“It’s my job as athletics director to handle these issues,” he said. “What we want to do is point all the programs in the right direction and do things the right way so our student athletes can have the best experience possible.”

I'm aware the wrestling coach may have made some bad decisions. What are the other internal investigations? Pitino was not involved in the poor choices his players made, other than recruiting them...so I don't see that as one of them? Can't be not filling gas tanks, or can it? So, what am I forgetting or is Pitino the target for the plural investigations?

Starting with year #2 of the Kill/Claeys era, haven't they always said that the current team will be the best they've had? Given that the best team to date is the 2014 squad that was 8-5, I don't think he's saying anything earth shattering.

I'm aware the wrestling coach may have made some bad decisions. What are the other internal investigations? Pitino was not involved in the poor choices his players made, other than recruiting them...so I don't see that as one of them? Can't be not filling gas tanks, or can it? So, what am I forgetting or is Pitino the target for the plural investigations?

He could've meant Lynch. But I thought the Title IX with the tracksters was still hanging out there. Not that there will be massive consequences with that one.

Must be the "other shoe" that Mike Maxx spoke of many months ago. The only other option is that MM was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you find it to be annoying when someone says the same thing over and over and over again?

My attitude whenever I see his "insightful" posts:

smile-and-wave.jpg

I don't think what Claeys said is too earthshattering. He has a mostly veteran team and some of last year's shortcomings were addressed in the off season. It's not even in the same realm as what Brewster said his first year here.

Don't know. Could be that they are truly "internal investigations. About a thing or two the public doesn't know about?

Must be the "other shoe" that Mike Maxx spoke of many months ago. The only other option is that MM was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's Pitino. Maxx and Reusse both have alluded to the school could go after him "for cause" and either get him to find a job elsewhere or negotiate a lower buyout. Will be an interesting year for Pitino.

I believe it's Pitino. Maxx and Reusse both have alluded to the school could go after him "for cause" and either get him to find a job elsewhere or negotiate a lower buyout. Will be an interesting year for Pitino.

I really don't think he could be fired for cause. I think he would have to have been an active participant in either cheating or some sort of unethical behavior. Firing him for cause for the jet travel/rental car gas tank thing would be utterly ridiculous and would pretty much scream to future coaching candidates that the administration would not support them. From what I remember, DaQuein McNeil is the only player who has been found guilty of any criminal activity. Lynch is still in limbo obviously. Morris and Lofton weren't criminals. Dorsey, McBrayer, and Mason were just 3 different guys involved in a single incident, again no criminal activity, in fact Dorsey was the victim of a crime.

The basketball program is in rough shape, but unless Pitino or his staff have been partaking in criminal or other unethical behavior themselves, I don't think he can be fired for cause.

Based on the schedule, the length into the tenure we are, and the RS Senior 3rd year starting QB, this really should be the best team since Claeys has been here. If its not, he will take heat regardless of whether or not he said this.

I really don't think he could be fired for cause. I think he would have to have been an active participant in either cheating or some sort of unethical behavior. Firing him for cause for the jet travel/rental car gas tank thing would be utterly ridiculous and would pretty much scream to future coaching candidates that the administration would not support them. From what I remember, DaQuein McNeil is the only player who has been found guilty of any criminal activity. Lynch is still in limbo obviously. Morris and Lofton weren't criminals. Dorsey, McBrayer, and Mason were just 3 different guys involved in a single incident, again no criminal activity, in fact Dorsey was the victim of a crime.

The basketball program is in rough shape, but unless Pitino or his staff have been partaking in criminal or other unethical behavior themselves, I don't think he can be fired for cause.
It might not be from his tenure here there are unanswered questions from his tenure as an assistant on his fathers staff.

Sid Hartman: Claeys believes this is best Gophers football team he's seen

The Gophers freshmen football players move into their dormitories this week and on Monday will join members of the varsity not only in summer school but in regular workouts.

So after a period off, it’s time to talk some Gophers football, and I am as optimistic that the team do well as I have been in some time. The Gophers’ schedule doesn’t include Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State, and there are media experts predicting the Gophers will win the Big Ten West Division.

Gophers coach Tracy Claeys calls this the best team since former coach Jerry Kill came aboard and that the Gophers can win eight or nine games.

“I do feel like it’s always hard to put a number on just as far as how many games you’re going to win, but I do feel like we’ve got six good years of work into this and I do feel like it’s our best football team overall,” Claeys said. “My goal is, and ours will be this every year, is when we get to the end of November and the last weeks of the season, that we’re still in talks to play in the Big Ten Championship Game, in other terms have a chance to win the Big Ten West.”

Claeys said a team must win at least eight games in order to be in contention for the division title each year.

“We have to stay healthy up front — we don’t have a lot of depth on the offensive line — and then play better than we did a year ago, which I expect we will,” he said. “We’ve made some changes I like and continue defensively to give ourselves a chance to win. There’s no question we’re excited about the fall getting here because we do feel like this is our best team. Two years ago we were one game away — we win at Wisconsin and we play for the Big Ten championship against Ohio State. I don’t think that’s that far off, considering this is our best team.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-coach-claeys-this-team-is-our-best-overall/382308311/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom