Claeys: This will be the best Minnesota team we’ve had since I’ve been here

I'm aware the wrestling coach may have made some bad decisions. What are the other internal investigations? Pitino was not involved in the poor choices his players made, other than recruiting them...so I don't see that as one of them? Can't be not filling gas tanks, or can it? So, what am I forgetting or is Pitino the target for the plural investigations?

Coyle could also just be being thorough. Like a "Let's investigate everything just so there aren't any more surprises" type dealio. That's what I would do.

Success for teams like the Gophers and most of the BIG excepting OHST depends on injuries because depth is often shallow at every position.
If the QB goes down it could be a very long season. He has taken a beating over the years trying often to win games by running as much as passing.
If the OL improves with the new coach and the RB situation stays stable then with the schedule and coaching positions fixed it should be a better year than the last one.

Starting with year #2 of the Kill/Claeys era, haven't they always said that the current team will be the best they've had? Given that the best team to date is the 2014 squad that was 8-5, I don't think he's saying anything earth shattering.
That 2013 squad had David Cobb, Maxx Williams, Zac Epping, Ra'Shede Hageman, Theiren Cockran, Eric Murray, BBC, Damien Wilson, Brock Vereen, and Cedric Thompson. Give that team a quarterback and a wide receiver and you're gold.

This years' team will be drastically better at QB, I think Brooks/Smith are as good as Cobb. But does our defense have anywhere near the talent that defense had?

I like that Claeys believes that it does, and I particularly like that he's not willing to duck expectations. But I'm a little skeptical.

That 2013 squad had David Cobb, Maxx Williams, Zac Epping, Ra'Shede Hageman, Theiren Cockran, Eric Murray, BBC, Damien Wilson, Brock Vereen, and Cedric Thompson. Give that team a quarterback and a wide receiver and you're gold.

This years' team will be drastically better at QB, I think Brooks/Smith are as good as Cobb. But does our defense have anywhere near the talent that defense had?

I like that Claeys believes that it does, and I particularly like that he's not willing to duck expectations. But I'm a little skeptical.

Well, most of those players came in with average expectations their Freshman/Sophomore year and then exploded right? Maybe we have that this year on the team with some of the younger players. That, or while we have less star players, we may a better overall talent spread, that leads to a more solid team overall.

Top Bottom