Marshall Independent: Minnesota football coach Claeys has high hopes for Hmielewski

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marshall Independent:

The Marshall Tigers will be represented on the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers football team this coming season.

Marshall graduate Drew Hmielewski will be playing wide receiver for the Gophers. Senior Blaise Andries has verbally committed to join the Gophers for the 2017 season.

Gophers head coach Tracy Claeys is excited to see what Hmielewski will do this coming season.

"Drew is somebody we signed as a wide receiver," said Claeys. "The thing I like about him is that his family is extremely athletic with his mom and his dad playing college athletics. I think he's got a good chance to help us, not only in football, but I think also he can help us in baseball. Wide receiver is a position that I think would allow him to probably play both.

"I think there's no question that with where he's at in the weight room that Drew will have a chance to come in and help us this fall."

Being a two-sport athlete can be very difficult as it is very time consuming to play even one college sport. Claeys thinks Hmielewski will be able to handle the challenge.

"He'll have to be good at time management," said Claeys. "He's a great student so I think he'll be able to handle the school part while he does that. There will have to be concessions on both sides as far as the training part of it, but I'm willing to give it a try."

http://marshallindependent.com/page...s-has-high-hopes-for-Hmielewski.html?nav=5021

Go Gophers!!

BTW Drew's prep baseball career ended on Tuesday. He batted .449 with 1 HR and 23 RBI this year. Finished just 2-3 in 9 starts on the mound with a 1.84 ERA and 63 strikeouts. ERA and strikeouts are actually improved from a year ago in fewer innings, but he had a 5-1 record in 2015.

BTW Drew's prep baseball career ended on Tuesday. He batted .449 with 1 HR and 23 RBI this year. Finished just 2-3 in 9 starts on the mound with a 1.84 ERA and 63 strikeouts. ERA and strikeouts are actually improved from a year ago in fewer innings, but he had a 5-1 record in 2015.

Can he throw a football? Hmmm...reverse option pass?...

For some reason I was thinking Drew was injured but must be OK if he's playing baseball

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

For some reason I was thinking Drew was injured but must be OK if he's playing baseball

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

He missed the end of football and beginning of basketball with an injury.

Two quotes I take from this interview as noteworthy:

"I think there's no question that with where he's at in the weight room that Drew will have a chance to come in and help us this fall."

"We have five years invested in this thing," said Claeys. "We've worked awfully hard and our kids have worked awfully hard, and we feel like we have our best team coming back. If we can stay healthy up front, I really feel like we should be in the talk for going to Indianapolis and playing for the Big Ten Championship Game. We'll be disappointed if we're not."

Top Bottom