Gopher Softball 2017

The consensus is we needed to play the hand we were dealt, and we didn't do a good job of it. That's true and sour grapes are unbecoming and leave a bad taste. But, for me, it still doesn't change one important thing.

The committee is wearing a black badge for what they did to the University of Minnesota softball team in 2017. We earned our chance at it (hosting). Our kids did the best they could to overcome it, but they are kids, and that was a big level of disrespect thrown at them, and a big distraction, in addition to the teams in the tournament and home field advantage. That is a big difference maker. We may not have won at home, but we would have had the chance we deserved.

Great Season Ladies!

This. All of it.

We've got Rachel Lowary committed for next season, if she's nearly as good as her sister then that'd help a lot. We need a good lefty on staff

No B1G's will make the Super Regions. We're the " little sisters " in NCAA softball. I don't see the graphics of that changing. In regards to the ladies, they had a great season. Be interesting to see how Bama does in Florida. Good pitching reigns in this game, and they've two capable pitchers. In regards to us hosting a Region, who knows how we would've done. It is all pure conjecture. A " Sarah " comes around once in a lifetime. Don't see us running the table next year.
This year was a hell of a ride though. NOW!!! let's gear up for " Row the Boat "

It's a funny thing to consider when in 2014, the one time we did make a Super Regional, we hosted and defeated an SEC team (Auburn) in order to win the Regional. But like you said, now we'll never know.

First year season ticket holder. We had 2 on the third base side in chair backs. I really enjoyed watching this team this year. I will be looking to add two seats next year (to 4). Hope most of you will join me in the stadium. These women and this program deserve our support. Go Gophers.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/111016aaa.html
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/010417aaa.html

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hannah-bailey/dc7zB6CjEeOzMAAmVebBJg/gendersport/softball-stats.htm team above them from conference is 24-4 (10-0), 43 natl 14 state. So I'd imagine competition is as good as she'll see in B1G. Probably competes with Amber for #1

Can't find anything on Rachel, but Paige is so good that Oklahoma plays a 5 person infield since people don't pull her

Alex Velazquez- starting CF for Chanhassen, transferred from Colorado. Can't find stats again, but Chan is defending champs so gotta be pretty good.

Ellee Jensen- slap hitting pitcher/outfielder and maybe pitcher? from WI. Flip from Iowa State. Had 48/49 steals according to 2016 article. So likely could be Macken's replacement?

Anne Miller- catcher from Bloomington Jefferson, all-state last year. Should better arm than Kendyl, so maybe gets time as flex if we start DPing Kendyl.

Alexandra Thompson- OF for Howard Lake, .694 OBP last year

Macy Gill- also iowa, can't find anything beyond Gopher

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/hannah-bailey/dc7zB6CjEeOzMAAmVebBJg/gendersport/softball-stats.htm team above them from conference is 24-4 (10-0), 43 natl 14 state. So I'd imagine competition is as good as she'll see in B1G. Probably competes with Amber for #1

Can't find anything on Rachel, but Paige is so good that Oklahoma plays a 5 person infield since people don't pull her

Alex Velazquez- starting CF for Chanhassen, transferred from Colorado. Can't find stats again, but Chan is defending champs so gotta be pretty good.

Ellee Jensen- slap hitting pitcher/outfielder and maybe pitcher? from WI. Flip from Iowa State. Had 48/49 steals according to 2016 article. So likely could be Macken's replacement?

Anne Miller- catcher from Bloomington Jefferson, all-state last year. Should better arm than Kendyl, so maybe gets time as flex if we start DPing Kendyl.

The softball season starts tomorrow in Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The softball season starts tomorrow in Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do club and HS go at same time, or what? HS ball as summer sport seems smart. Regular season being 6 weeks is awfully short here, especially given like 6-8 days of rainouts.

Next year the one I am most excited about is Hannah Bailey. Pitcher from the San Diego area. Good looking prospect. See Rowdaboats post on stats

Next year the one I am most excited about is Hannah Bailey. Pitcher from the San Diego area. Good looking prospect. See Rowdaboats post on stats

Heard that she's likely going to be #1 over Fiser, which would be impressive since Fiser's pretty solid. Wonder if we transition more to relievers next year. If Lowary is a mid 60s low 70s lefty she could be a late inning reliever. Carlie a bit slower than Amber so bringing in either after the other would be a good combination. Then TBD if Bailey should be the starter

Tough to end the season this way and I'm not in to moral victories or seasons. But heck, when you look at the improvements from one year to the next as to wins and building up. This team has really come along ways. My conclusion is that they have improved, they will get better, they have learned from this season and they know what they need to do for improvements next year. Congratulations "gals" you had a good season despite the ending.

Heard that she's likely going to be #1 over Fiser, which would be impressive since Fiser's pretty solid. Wonder if we transition more to relievers next year. If Lowary is a mid 60s low 70s lefty she could be a late inning reliever. Carlie a bit slower than Amber so bringing in either after the other would be a good combination. Then TBD if Bailey should be the starter
Seems there will be plenty of options. Regardless of how well the team pitches next year, it's going to be strange not seeing Sara G in the circle.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The extra inning games and weather delays over the weekend reminded me of my favorite softball memory. My daughter's team had qualified for NAFA nationals, which were being hosted at Miller Park in Eden Prairie. A nice facility, but they have a fairly rigid lights-off ordinance because of the number of residences near it. On the final day of the tournament, there were storms in the morning, so the entire slate was delayed. They did what they could to rush the games along, but it was looking bleak for being able to finish up by the 10 pm curfew. Well, my daughter's team went on a holy rampage and ended up in the finals. The tournament's organizers got a couple extensions from the mayor, but he wouldn't go past 11 pm, and his people were going to turn the switch right at that moment no matter what.

We did get the final game in, and we were just finishing up awards when the lights went out. There was nothing, not even parking lot lights. It was pitch black, and we were walking back to our cars by flashlight if you had one. That's when one of the moms came up with the line of all time: "Everyone grab a Mounds View player, and we'll sort it out in the morning!" Good times.

Lindaman is one of three finalists for NFCA Freshman of the Year. Great job Linda!

SEC teams dropping left and right. Auburn just eliminated. LSU, & Kentuky both Down 1 game to none. Tenn up 1 game on A&M and the winner on Florida , Alabama will get in.

SEC teams dropping left and right. Auburn just eliminated. LSU, & Kentuky both Down 1 game to none. Tenn up 1 game on A&M and the winner on Florida , Alabama will get in.
I feel really bad for them. They were all really unfairly treated as far as seeding. The SEC should have had the top 10 seeds for sure. They are all that much better than anyone else. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I liked the Ole Miss pitcher, but they also were undeserving of a regional

Oregon finishes off Kentucky, UCLA takes out
Ole Miss. So sad

Minnesota State won the DII title with a pair of 5-1 wins to sweep the championship series vs #1 Angelo State. The Mavericks first national title!

Seems like every judgement call goes in favor of the SEC. Maybe I am a little biased.

Not sure if I've posted this publicly, but I will never EVER forgive the NCAA for their dissing of the Gopher Softball team this last spring. I hope the P5 conferences join together and basically put the NCAA out of business and make all of those losers jobless, and then I hope NO ONE anywhere in the country is willing to hire any of those people to do anything but shovel sh1t, or clean sewers, or pick up dead animals off the roads, or something horrible, maybe become hookers or something? I'd probably be ok if they all contracted some sort of painful, but not life threatening disease. :)

Just had to get that off my chest. Since I wasn't around last spring.

KillmeNow, I completely agree with you except my animus is lasered directly at the committee members rather than the NCAA generally.

With an RPI of 11 and being ranked #7 in the committee’s own rankings and only having 3 losses on the season there was no way to be prepared for being unseeded by those louts. And then the committee interprets the loss at Alabama as confirmation, which only adds more insult to injury and previous insult. I don’t think it was realistic to expect those kids to get over being made a public spectacle of that quickly.

Top Bottom