Gopher Softball 2017

Article from the Kansas City Star on the Finucane transfer.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article93168182.html
Pitcher Tori Finucane was slated to be a senior ace for Missouri softball next season.
Instead, she’ll finish her career at Minnesota, which announced Monday that Finucane would transfer there for her final year of eligibility.

As I was reading another story about Finucane, the author makes reference to an NCAA one time transfer rule.
http://www.columbiatribune.com/spor...cle_517714f4-4b59-5f72-a40e-ca6110549eea.html

SOFTBALL TEAM ADDS PROVEN BAT: Missouri has added a big-time bat via the transfer market.

MU on Tuesday announced the addition of Chloe Rathburn, a transfer from South Alabama who was a two-time first-team All-Sun Belt Conference selection. In 2015, she hit .371 with four home runs, 53 RBI and 15 doubles in leading the Jaguars to a 40-13 record and their fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance.

Rathburn, a second-team all-region selection, will be eligible to play for Missouri in 2016 as a junior because of the NCAA’s one-time transfer exception rule.

If Finucane returns to the form she had as a freshman and sophomore, that will be a great 1-2 punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Finucane returns to the form she had as a freshman and sophomore, that will be a great 1-2 punch.

She beat some good squads that freshman year.
Rated at the time
#13 Texas A&M
#13 Georgia
#20 Auburn
#3 Florida
#6 Alabama
Also beat Iowa and Ohio State that year.

She beat some good squads that freshman year.
Rated at the time
#13 Texas A&M
#13 Georgia
#20 Auburn
#3 Florida
#6 Alabama
Also beat Iowa and Ohio State that year.

Obviously fell out of favor at Mizzou. Barely pitched at all this year. Mizzou's program is a dumpster fire as is the whole athletic department. Their AD just bolted for Baylor of all places.

Obviously fell out of favor at Mizzou. Barely pitched at all this year. Mizzou's program is a dumpster fire as is the whole athletic department. Their AD just bolted for Baylor of all places.

She was hit on the face at the end of her sophomore year and just finally recovered.

She was hit on the face at the end of her sophomore year and just finally recovered.

I did see that she was wearing face gear in one of the videos on the Kansas City news site. Let's hope a new start in a new place is the right thing. If she can be anywhere close to her freshman form, we could go a very long way...

Read this also,
Complicating Finucane’s comeback further, she’s been dealing with tendinitis in the rotator cuff of her throwing arm.

The fall schedule is out:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some pre-game observations:

Groenwegen is not dressed
Wagner is taking balls with the outfielders
Finucane is starting game 1, couldn't see a number, but was wearing a mask in the pen.
Taylor LeMay is helping out.

Starting lineup
Infield same as last year
Rozell at catcher
Cowger, Wagner, Chell in the OF.

Gophers win game 1 4-2. Finucane with the win. A bunch of Ks early. Bison took a 2-0 lead in the 4th on a bunt single, followed by a single, error and a 2-out single.

The Gophers took the lead on a 2-RBI single by Dwyer and a single by Lindeman. They added an insurance run in the 6th.

They go through both the games on Twitter in case anyone is interested. As Ski U Mah mentioned in the previous post the new pitcher, Finucane, threw all of the first game. Fiser went 4 innnings the second game with Judge going the final 3. (If I read it correctly)

https://twitter.com/GopherSoftball

Ok, probably no big deal at all to most....but dang the Gophers have some of the worst looking softball uniforms in the land. For one, ditch the elastic waistband. Looks like something from the 70's or 80's. My uniform rant is now complete.

Ok, probably no big deal at all to most....but dang the Gophers have some of the worst looking softball uniforms in the land. For one, ditch the elastic waistband. Looks like something from the 70's or 80's. My uniform rant is now complete.

Also, no numbers for the new players.

Finucane was easy to note, because of the mask when pitching. Since there aren't pictures up of the new players yet, I listened for names when players came to the plate or were in the circle.

Gophers take on Concordia tomorrow.

October and already excited because of the new arms on the staff. Allister looks as if she did a good job getting some depth in the circle. (Never have seen any of the new pitchers throw, so take it with a grain of salt like all my other posts about the team.)

Going to be a bit chilly! Still not sure why they didn't play last weekend.

Gophers take the first game 4-0 behind a grand slam by Taylor Chell in the bottom of the 6th. Finucane threw the first 4 innings with Judge going the last 3.

Fiser gets the ball to start the second game.
Lindaman hit one over the fence.
Gophers lead 6-0 after 4 innings.
Fiser goes 5 innings with 5 strikeouts and allowed 1 hit.
Carlie Brandt comes in to pitch the 6th.
Gophers win 8-0 in 6 innings.
Lindaman with a home run, double and single.

Gophers take the first game 4-0 behind a grand slam by Taylor Chell in the bottom of the 6th. Finucane threw the first 4 innings with Judge going the last 3.

Fiser gets the ball to start the second game.
Lindaman hit one over the fence.
Gophers lead 6-0 after 4 innings.
Fiser goes 5 innings with 5 strikeouts and allowed 1 hit.
Carlie Brandt comes in to pitch the 6th.
Gophers win 8-0 in 6 innings.
Lindaman with a home run, double and single.

Lindeman hit one that was just foul right before Chell's slam. That might have been the hardest hit ball of the night.

A lot of recent grads were there last night. Palkovich, Walker, and McGregor (along with her boyfriend Eric Murray) among others.

80% chance of rain Saturday...What are the odds they move the games this weekend to Friday?

Fiser throws the last 5 innings and records 7 strikeouts. Partain hit a 3 run homer. Gophers win the first game 5-0 over UMD.

Finucane in the circle to start the second game.
Top of the fourth and Gophers down 4-0
Judge throws an inning with Brandt going the last two.
Gophers win 7-6 with Sara G singling in the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.

Fiser throws the last 5 innings and records 7 strikeouts. Partain hit a 3 run homer. Gophers win the first game 5-0 over UMD.

Finucane in the circle to start the second game.
Top of the fourth and Gophers down 4-0
Judge throws an inning with Brandt going the last two.
Gophers win 7-6 with Sara G singling in the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.

The home plate umpire in game 2 had no idea of what a strike zone was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few observations from the fall:

There is a lot of room for improvement defensively at the catching position. Those change-ups that were eaten up by LeMay the last 3 years gave both Rozell & Lindaman trouble. A lot of Groenewegen's success came from the confidence that Taylor would catch the change-up cleanly.

Will coach Allister stick with the new-look infield (Dwyer/Macken, Arneson/Partain, Partain/Arneson. Parlich)?

Will Houlihan's move to LF be permanent (it is her 1st time ever in the OF)?

Will Lindaman hit a piece of heavy equipment during the season?

Qualifying this as not having any inside knowledge on the team at all, just can't see all the switching that this article thinks might happen. That being said, sure like how the pitching shapes up compared to the last couple of years.

Also agree with Ski U Mah on LeMay handling Sara G and blocking so many change ups in the dirt. Tremendous asset.

LOL, sorry, did NOT mean to quote myself, was trying to add to the post!

Houlihan & Wagner to the OF makes sense. Their speed is better utilized out there.

Houlihan & Wagner to the OF makes sense. Their speed is better utilized out there.

Wagner for sure. With Dwyer, Arneson and Partain, the shortstop spot is filled up. Guess I just can't see Allister tinkering with the 1B, 2B or 3B spots. But, who knows? Hopefully Finucane turns in a nice year. If so.......they could be very good.

Top Bottom