Gopher Softball 2017

Nebraska's schedule for the opening weekend at Puerto Vallarta College Challenge.
Thursday, BYU. Actually faced each other in the Regionals in Missouri. Final is in and BYU all over Jablonski and the Huskers 12-1.
Friday they start the day with #1 Oklahoma, then they come right back and face #2 Auburn.
Saturday they can relax a little as they face #13 Washington.

Illinois-North Carolina, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, California
Indiana-#24 Fresno State, Seattle U, #18 Utah, Arizona State, St. Mary's
Iowa-Abilene Christian, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas State, Texas Tech, Abilene Christian
Maryland-#16 Minnesota, Colorado State, Colorado State, Texas, Minnesota
Michigan-Delaware, St Johns, #4 Florida, #25 USF, Illinois State
Michigan State-Boston U, Troy, North Carolina State, #23 FAU
Northwestern-Tulsa, #21 Baylor, #10 Arizona, Fordham, Cal State Northridge
Ohio State-Central Michigan, #19 Texas A&M, Lamar, Central Michigan
Penn State-McNeese State, #4 LSU, Oklahoma State, LSU, McNeese State
Purdue-Cal Poly, Arizona State, #24 Fresno State, Stanford, St Mary's
Rutgers-Georgetown, Florida International, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Seton Hall
Wisconsin- UNI, Nebraska-Omaha, Toledo, Drake (Games being played in Cedar Falls, Iowa at the dome. Similar to what a couple of posters envisioned.)

Has anyone else noticed that Gopher Softball has really upped their presence on Twitter and Facebook in the last year or so. I love getting the updates.

Nebraska just getting destroyed by BYU in the opening game of the season.

BYU - 12
Nebraska - 0

...in the 4th inning!

The forecast for Texas looks great. 4 out of the first 5 games I get to enjoy the beautiful Texas weather. Game 5 will be on the couch back in MN though :(

Ski-U-Mah! I am jealous!

Looks like Oklahoma going with Missouri transfer, lefty Paige Lowary, against Auburn.
#2 Auburn opens with a 3-2 victory over #1 Oklahoma.
Another good one tonight with Auburn taking on #13 Washington.
Washington beat Auburn 2-1 in 10 innings. Taran Alvelo went all the way for the Huskies throwing 168 pitches.

Macken 9
Parlich 5
Houlihan 7
Groenewgen DP
Lindaman 2
Partain 4
Dwyer 3
Arneson 6
Wagner 8

Finucane 1

Lots of switches from last year.

Maryland going with Hannah Dewey. 3-10 with a 9.39 ERA last year. 79 innings pitched with 132 hits allowed and 74 base on balls.

So much for getting to watch the game on The Longhorn Network. No success for me in connecting.

2-2, one out, top of the 6th. Maryland with a runner on first. Fiser in to replace Finucane.

Gophers with bases loaded, one out, bottom of 6th and they don't score.
Fiser faces the top of the order at the start of the 7th.

Maryland loads the bases with one out, top of 7th. Fiser pitches her way out of it. Still 2-2.

So much for getting to watch the game on The Longhorn Network. No success for me in connecting.

It works well online for me. 2-2 in the 6th and Fiser came in to pitch for the Gophers. Had a K facing her first batter.

It works well online for me. 2-2 in the 6th and Fiser came in to pitch for the Gophers. Had a K facing her first batter.

A walk-off win over Maryland to start the season! Partain with a base-hit to score Houlihan!

Really? I tried multiple times to get it. Man, I am bummed out. The stupid feed I am getting still has the game tied!

Thank you. I have Directv, but it didn't allow me to access it. I am going to try and figure something out for tonight's game.

I have directv and it taped just fine. Do you have the sports package? You might need it. Or were you trying online? They said during the broadcast it's on WatchESPN. But you may need the sports package to even get it there. I don't know.

Boy did our freshman look good. Partain going 3-4 in her first collegiate game. For as bad as Maryland was all last year, they should have won today. Left the bases loaded at least twice and made a few clutch mistakes that cost them. Gophers pitching looks to be a lot more solid this year. Finucane was pretty good to start the game and Fiser looked really good in relief. It was the first game of the year, so not worried we're not in mid-season form. But anyway, the four freshman (2 from Iowa, one from Green Bay and one from Oregon) all looked really promising. Going to be a fun year.

Another win against Texas. It wasn't pretty, with a total of 5 errors by the two teams, but the Gophers score 3 in the first which is enough to win 5-2. Sara G. with the complete game.

Another win against Texas. It wasn't pretty, with a total of 5 errors by the two teams, but the Gophers score 3 in the first which is enough to win 5-2. Sara G. with the complete game.

A few defensive miscues and as was stated earlier it might take a little while for the outfielders to get comfortable in their new roles. The freshman looked good at the plate which is encouraging to me.

B1G Results from Friday

Illinois 6-2 over North Carolina and beat Georgia Tech 10-1
Iowa 2-1 over Abilene Christian and beat Texas A&M-CC 8-0
Indiana lost to Fresno State 2-0 and beat Seattle 7-3
Michigan State over North Florida 10-2
Michigan over Delaware 7-0 (Betsa with 15 strikeouts) and beat Illinois State 4-2
Nebraska lost to Oklahoma 6-0 also lost to Auburn 3-2
Purdue lost to Cal Poly 2-1 also lost to Arizona State 3-0
Ohio State beat Central Michigan 10-0
Penn State lost to McNeese State 4-1 also beat LSU 7-3!
Maryland lost to Colorado State 14-5
Northwestern beat Tulsa 3-2 and lost to Baylor 7-6
Wisconsin beat Northern Iowa 1-0
Rutgers games were canceled (playing in Miami)

Some nice match ups today
#6 Michigan - #4 Florida
#13 Washington - #1 Oklahoma
#21 Baylor - #10 Arizona
#6 Michigan - # 25 South Florida

Just my two cents, which is worth less than that, very....(what's the word?)....aggressive position switching by Allister. She sure isn't sitting status quo.
Obviously likes what Partain brings to the team. Found it very interesting. (You wouldn't believe how jealous I am of you people who get The Longhorn Network!)

vs Colorado State

Macken 9
Parlich 5
Houlihan 7
Gronewegen DP
Lindaman 2
Partain 4
Dwyer 3
Arneson 6
Wagner 8

Fiser 1

Gophers down 1-0 after one inning. Fiser struck out the first two batters, hit the third. Gave up a double which scored a run. Walked the next batter, then got another strikeout.
Gophers pick up a couple in the top of the 2nd. 2-1
Groenewegen comes in in the 5th inning for Fiser after Amber walked the lead off hitter.
3-1 bottom of the 6th. Lindaman doubled and Dwyer singled her in.
Gophers tack on a couple more in the top of the 7th. 5-1
Gophers win it 5-1. No errors by the Gophers. Fiser with 6 strikeouts, Groenewegen with 5. Fiser with 5 base on balls and 1 HBP. Groenwegen 1 base on balls and 1 HBP

Some very talented players in this freshmen class. Wow! Transfers look good too.

B1G Results From Saturday 2-11-17

Illinois beat North Carolina 13-0 and beat Georgia Tech 4-2
Michigan State beat Troy 9-4 and beat North Carolina State 6-4
Iowa lost to Texas State 2-0 and lost to Texas Tech 7-4
Maryland lost to Colorado State 6-3 and lost to Texas 10-2
Michigan lost to Florida 2-1 (10 innings, all with Betsa, 12 K's and 190 pitches) and also lost to South Florida 6-4 (Have to go back to March 5, 2016 for 2 losses in one day for the Wolverines)
Indiana lost to Utah 7-0 and lost to Arizona State 4-2
Wisconsin beat Nebraska-Omaha 6-0 and beat Toledo 10-7
Penn State lost to Oklahoma State 1-0 and lost to LSU 14-1
Nebraska lost to Washington 7-5
Purdue lost to Fresno State 4-0 and lost to Stanford 16-9
Minnesota beat Colorado State 5-1 and beat Texas 11-6
Ohio State lost to Texas A&M 9-1 and beat Lamar 4-3
Northwestern lost to Arizona 11-3 and lost to Fordham 4-3
Rutgers games were canceled

Groenewegen is a nice option to bring in, to say the least, when things seem to be going the opponents way.

Carlie Brandt!
4.2 innings pitched, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, 53 total pitches, 43 strikes.
Gophers win 10-2.

B1G after the first weekend

Minnesota 5-0
Wisconsin 4-0
Illinois 4-1
Michigan State 3-1
Ohio State 3-1
Michigan 3-2
Indiana 2-3
Iowa 2-3
Northwestern 1-4
Penn State 1-4
Purdue 1-4
Rutgers all games have been canceled so far
Nebraska 0-4
Maryland 0-5

B1G after the first weekend

Minnesota 5-0
Wisconsin 4-0
Illinois 4-1
Michigan State 3-1
Ohio State 3-1
Michigan 3-2
Indiana 2-3
Iowa 2-3
Northwestern 1-4
Penn State 1-4
Purdue 1-4
Rutgers all games have been canceled so far
Nebraska 0-4
Maryland 0-5

I think it was last year or possibly the year before?, when I compared B1G conf scedules, Minnesota played a very tough schedule compared to Michigan. This year, not sure about Michigan's schedule, but Minnesota plays a pretty easy conference schedule. So if we can do well in the ooc, this squad could win a lot of games this year.

Surprised to see Nebraska lose 4 games to start start the season.

And I don't know how good Wisconsin is, but they seem to have a pretty weak ooc schedule?

The weather for the 5 games per the box score:

MD 2/10: Sun's starting to peek through
UT: 2/10 I'm seeing plenty of stars!
CSU 2/11: It's absolutely gorgeous! 78
UT 2/11: Record high in ATX! 86!
MD: 2/12: Uninspiring

Gotta love the Softball SID!!!!

Movin' on up. Ranked #13 in both polls this week.

Anybody know the highest ranking in program history?

Top Bottom