Gopher Softball 2017

WHat a f'ing joke. The selection committee lost all credibility. What an unbelievable joke that selection was.

I'm not even going to watch. Good luck to the girls the rest of the way, but I can't support the NCAA in this travesty.

WHat a f'ing joke. The selection committee lost all credibility. What an unbelievable joke that selection was.

I'm not even going to watch. Good luck to the girls the rest of the way, but I can't support the NCAA in this travesty.
I'll keep track just because that's how I am, but this was total horse**** and a blatant screwjob by the NCAA. The ladies would be well within their rights to give each member of the committee 18 middle fingers.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Unreal. Anyone notice Illinois' bracket? They go to freakin Kentucky. Meanwhile, they put the Big10 Champion in with Alabama and then possibly Florida. What the hell are they thinking. We must have pissed off some people on the NCAA craplection committee somewhere. The committee must all be from the south and/or west coast with no understanding of how much extra effort it takes to travel for every game until late March...I guess Minnesota gets no credit for playing all games on the road in Feb-Mar and only losing twice at Washington. FU craplection committee.

All 13 SEC teams made it. Circlejerk much? Just like SEC football, RPI is gonna be good as long as you keep rating them highly.

On the bright side...our Gopher ladies have a chance to give a big fat juicy FU to the NCAA by beating Alabama and Florida. Revenge can be sweeter than respect...and it could be really sweet. On the downside, because I'm a longstanding Gopher football fan also, I'll be seeing a conspiracy in every bad umpire call during the series.

On the bright side...our Gopher ladies have a chance to give a big fat juicy FU to the NCAA by beating Alabama and Florida. Revenge can be sweeter than respect...and it could be really sweet. On the downside, because I'm a longstanding Gopher football fan also, I'll be seeing a conspiracy in every bad umpire call during the series.

We likely would have had to beat Florida twice to win whole thing, just now it's at their place instead of OKC

Someone should ask the committee how the Gophers dropped from #8 in the committee rankings to unseeded in 2 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if they would have been seeded had they not had the audacity to lose three games this year.

How do you find out who is on the Selection Committee? I tried googling it, but didn't come up with anything.

Alright, I'm over it. Win that first game against Louisiana Tech. Very beatable team. They got in by winning their conference tournament. Not much long ball power. Only 30 home runs on the year. Stole 86 bases and have 3 hitters with over .300 average. They spread the starts around, with Preslee Gallaway getting the most. Opponents hit .264 off her.

Conference strength is definitely an issue. If my numbers are correct, the BG10 was 5W-17L against the SEC and 7W-32L against the PAC12. Minnesota was 3W-2L combined. Granted many of those games were played at the opponents' sites in early season, but it's still bad. It would be nice to see Minnesota play in some of the large early season tournaments like the Mary Nutter Classic in the future to get some exposure against top teams while playing on neutral fields. Teams like Arizona and Florida don't have to leave home in Feb-Mar yet they don't seem to get dinged for it. Meanwhile, the northern teams get no credit for playing 30+ games on the road early on.

Conference strength is definitely an issue. If my numbers are correct, the BG10 was 5W-17L against the SEC and 7W-32L against the PAC12. Minnesota was 3W-2L combined. Granted many of those games were played at the opponents' sites in early season, but it's still bad. It would be nice to see Minnesota play in some of the large early season tournaments like the Mary Nutter Classic in the future to get some exposure against top teams while playing on neutral fields. Teams like Arizona and Florida don't have to leave home in Feb-Mar yet they don't seem to get dinged for it. Meanwhile, the northern teams get no credit for playing 30+ games on the road early on.

The Gophers ended up 2-2 vs the PAC-12 (Wins over OSU & Cal, 2 losses to UW) and 1-0 vs the SEC (beating LSU).

> Someone should ask the committee how the Gophers dropped from #8 in the committee rankings to unseeded in 2 weeks?

I really don't get this either - why bother with these preview rankings if they evidently are completely worthless. Still hard to believe we were not awarded a seed.

Non-conference scheduled already or can we do it after the tournament? Might as well play every ranked opponent that we can in invitationals. Win conference and go like 15-10 against top 50 NC and apparently get a super.

Ole Miss, 40-18, #23 in the RPI.......#23!!! AND 19 IN THE POLLS AND THEY ARE SEEDED #12!!

(Guess I am not over it quite yet.)

On the plus side, the committee is getting absolutely crushed on social media. They certainly deserve any and all criticism for this debacle.

Ole Miss, 40-18, #23 in the RPI.......#23!!! AND 19 IN THE POLLS AND THEY ARE SEEDED #12!!

(Guess I am not over it quite yet.)
They get it because....you know....SEC.

I always looked back over past years and the committee very seldom swayed from the RPI. When they did stray from it, wasn't a huge change. In fact I think I posted in this thread sometime back that last year all the teams from 1-16 in the RPI were seeded except for one and the one wasn't a huge change. Consequently I never thought the Gophers were going to host a Super Regional, simply for that reason. So along those lines I was convinced, absolutely convinced they would host a regional. Not a doubt in my mind. To have THIS much of a variance in the RPI, which they have used over the years, is unfathomable.

I agree that this is b.s but this doesn't surprise me that much when I think about it. I've been telling people around me that they've played a pretty easy schedule outside of the Washington series and that their Big Ten schedule was a joke (which it was). This sucks for the team to get the shaft from the ncaa selection committee which just keeps getting on it's knees for the SEC schools. Hopefully the girls can put it to them and show them that they should've been hosting a regional and a super regional for that matter.

I always looked back over past years and the committee very seldom swayed from the RPI. When they did stray from it, wasn't a huge change. In fact I think I posted in this thread sometime back that last year all the teams from 1-16 in the RPI were seeded except for one and the one wasn't a huge change. Consequently I never thought the Gophers were going to host a Super Regional, simply for that reason. So along those lines I was convinced, absolutely convinced they would host a regional. Not a doubt in my mind. To have THIS much of a variance in the RPI, which they have used over the years, is unfathomable.

You summed it up well.

When it comes to women's volleyball and basketball NCAA selection committees, some of the most egregious seeding (or in this case non-seeding) errors seem to come down to reducing travel costs. The S curve be damned. I'm assuming after they put all 13 SEC teams into the tournament they just said to hell with it, it's too hard to figure out who to fly to Minneapolis to join the Gophers and North Dakota State.

I am thinking that Ole Miss winning the SEC tournament helped screw the Gophers.

The committee probably thought "How could we not seed the SEC tournament champion?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Michigan got beat I figured our chances for a top 8 seed were probably gone but I was still holding on to outside chance hope. It never occurred to me for a second we wouldn't be seeded.

I think it's terrible. It seems like such public statement of disrespect and really feels ishy. I hope the players get over it better than I have so far ...haha..oh well.

B1G commish and our AD should be raising a stink. Hose job.

The Gophers ended up 2-2 vs the PAC-12 (Wins over OSU & Cal, 2 losses to UW) and 1-0 vs the SEC (beating LSU).

Gophers went 16-3 against teams in the tournament, with 10 of those wins on the road and 4 at neutral sites. All three losses were on the road.

Top Bottom