Gopher Softball 2017

Michigan trails Ohio State 5-0 in the bottom of the 5th in Columbus. Shelby McCombs blanking the Wolverines.

It's over. Buckeyes beat Betsa and the Wolverines 5-0. Gophers tied for 1st place.

Big Ten Standings and remaining conference games

Minnesota 8-1 Northwestern, @Wisconsin 2 games, Iowa, Purdue, @Penn State
Michigan 8-1 @ MSU 1 game, @Maryland, MSU 1 game, @Wisconsin, Indiana, @Rutgers
Illinois 7-2 @MSU, @Nebraska, Wisconsin, @Northwestern 2 games, Ohio State
Ohio State 7-2 @Penn State 2 games, Indiana, @MSU, Iowa, @Illinois
Nebraska 6-3
Michigan State 5-4
Wisconsin 4-5
Purdue 4-5
Indiana 3-6
Northwestern 3-6
Penn State 3-6
Iowa 3-6
Rutgers 1-8
Maryland 1-8

Those two games against Wisconsin cost them the title last year. Pay back. But of course handle the Wildcats first. Getting too far ahead.

More B1G honors for the Gophers:

Allie Arneson - Co-player of the Week (with Anna Petersen of Northwestern)
Amber Fiser - Pitcher of the Week
Kendyl Lindaman - Freshman of the Week

Win games... That helps.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I'm curious to see if the games will get shifted around again this weekend. This forecast looks goofy and keeps changing.

We'll host regionals without a doubt. It's a matter of whether or not we can host Supers.

Here is last year's hosting. The seeding of the teams and the RPI in parenthesis. (If my research is correct.)

1-Florida (2)
2-Michigan (4)
3-Oklahoma (1)
4-Auburn (3)
5-Oregon (10)
6-Alabama (6)
7-James Madison (7)
8-Florida State (5)
9-Kentucky (18)
10-LSU (8)
11-Washington (9)
12-UCLA (13)
13-Tennessee (15)
14-La-Lafayette (12)
15- Missouri (11)
16-Georgia (16)

Some movement among the top 16 in regards to seeding, but only one chosen that wasn't in the top 16 RPI. Baylor was #14 in the RPI, replaced by Kentucky #18.
Gophers were 20 in the RPI

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2016WSBrpi7.html
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d1/2016

Here is last year's hosting. The seeding of the teams and the RPI in parenthesis. (If my research is correct.)

1-Florida (2)
2-Michigan (4)
3-Oklahoma (1)
4-Auburn (3)
5-Oregon (10)
6-Alabama (6)
7-James Madison (7)
8-Florida State (5)
9-Kentucky (18)
10-LSU (8)
11-Washington (9)
12-UCLA (13)
13-Tennessee (15)
14-La-Lafayette (12)
15- Missouri (11)
16-Georgia (16)

Some movement among the top 16 in regards to seeding, but only one chosen that wasn't in the top 16 RPI. Baylor was #14 in the RPI, replaced by Kentucky #18.
Gophers were 20 in the RPI

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2016WSBrpi7.html
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d1/2016

A Big Ten Regular Season and Tournament champ that is ranked top 7 or 8 in the country would definitely host regionals. If they drop a couple games to these bad teams they are playing then all bets would be off on where they end up.

BTN...Ranked Gopher team gets no games. Unreal.....
They put the schedule out before the season. It looks like they tried to give every team some televised games.

They put the schedule out before the season. It looks like they tried to give every team some televised games.

I think their Sunday game vs. Indiana was to be on BTN but the game got moved to that Saturday. Hopefully if they host a regional BTN will pick it up.

The Big Ten Network tends to do whatever they can to have awful ratings. It's a bummer.

The ladies overcame an incredibly poor game in the field and three rain delays to down Northwestern 6-2 at Cowles. Macken hit a homer and Sara G with 11 K's, but the continued problems in the field are becoming a real concern. They're able to win games right now because they aren't playing the stiffest competition, but against good teams, four errors if going to get them beat nearly every time. Still have time to get it straightened out, but it's now becoming a pattern.

The ladies overcame an incredibly poor game in the field and three rain delays to down Northwestern 6-2 at Cowles. Macken hit a homer and Sara G with 11 K's, but the continued problems in the field are becoming a real concern. They're able to win games right now because they aren't playing the stiffest competition, but against good teams, four errors if going to get them beat nearly every time. Still have time to get it straightened out, but it's now becoming a pattern.

Give them a pass last night. 3 rain delays meant the field was muck and the ball was wet. That leads to weird rolling grounders and a ball you can't throw.

Give them a pass last night. 3 rain delays meant the field was muck and the ball was wet. That leads to weird rolling grounders and a ball you can't throw.

You may be right as it pertains to last night, but the overall trend is concerning. Really hoping they can play mostly clean in the field from here on out.

Michigan at 10-1 with a single games today and tomorrow at Maryland. They beat Michigan State 5-1 during the week and Maryland by the same score yesterday.
Gophers at 9-1 with the Northwestern games here.
Illinois 8-2 with a double header against Michigan State today. Playing in Caledonia, Michigan because of flooding.
Ohio State 9-3, at home with games today and tomorrow against Indiana

Allister giving the ball to Fiser once again.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Northwestern going with Nicole Bond. 56 innings pitched, 60 hits, 43 walks, 30 strikeouts.

Whoa, that camera is a long ways away from the action.

Gophers down 2-0 coming to bat in the 1st. (Thank goodness for Dwyer.)
Good news is that Michigan is down 2-0 in the 5th against Maryland. Make that the 6th inning.
Michigan lost 2-1. Tying run was thrown out at the plate in the last inning. (Game of inches cliche?)
First place awaits the Gophers.

Allister giving the ball to Fiser once again.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Northwestern going with Nicole Bond. 56 innings pitched, 60 hits, 43 walks, 30 strikeouts.

Whoa, that camera is a long ways away from the action.

Gophers down 2-0 coming to bat in the 1st. (Thank goodness for Dwyer.)
Good news is that Michigan is down 2-0 in the 5th against Maryland. Make that the 6th inning.
Michigan lost 2-1. Tying run was thrown out at the plate in the last inning. (Game of inches cliche?)
First place awaits the Gophers.

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Maryland is a tough team to figure out. They have posted wins over Florida, Missouri and now Michigan but have also lost to Binghamton, Iona, Florida A&M and Northwestern State. I'd say the old cliche of "on any given day" applies to the Terps pretty well.

And, oh yeah, the ladies are now in first place all-alone after coming back to win 3-2 this afternoon...:clap:

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Maryland is a tough team to figure out. They have posted wins over Florida, Missouri and now Michigan but have also lost to Binghamton, Iona, Florida A&M and Northwestern State. I'd say the old cliche of "on any given day" applies to the Terps pretty well.

And, oh yeah, the ladies are now in first place all-alone after coming back to win 3-2 this afternoon...:clap:
Fiser struggled with control early but settled down to pitch a solid game. The home plate umpire's strike zone changed in the 3rd inning. He set up over the left shoulder of the catcher and wasn't giving anything on the inside corner early but called a lot of strikes on the outside corner. As the game progressed, his strike zone got bigger for both teams. Fiser was getting strikes called on the same pitches that were balls in the first two innings. The NU slappers were stepping outside the box on nearly every pitch... No sour grapes just something I noticed...

Fiser struggled with control early but settled down to pitch a solid game. The home plate umpire's strike zone changed in the 3rd inning. He set up over the left shoulder of the catcher and wasn't giving anything on the inside corner early but called a lot of strikes on the outside corner. As the game progressed, his strike zone got bigger for both teams. Fiser was getting strikes called on the same pitches that were balls in the first two innings. The NU slappers were stepping outside the box on nearly every pitch... No sour grapes just something I noticed...

Really good observation.

Me either. Honestly, the way the Michigan was pitching earlier, just thought they would breeze through.
Also didn't know that Maryland had beaten Florida. Yep, any given day.

Noticed that too...the outside corner was there some of the time and not at other times. Hard to pitch under those circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

8-0. She sure took care of business today! 10 strikeouts, 4 ground outs, 2 fly outs and no walks. 69 pitches, 49 strikes, 17 batters faced and 17 first pitch strikes. AND she had 3 hits! Whoa, that is some efficient work. When she is on, she is so good. (Dang, wasn't able to watch the game.)

Top Bottom