Gopher Softball 2017

Just saw a slow motion replay on twitter. It wasn't even close to hitting her jersey.

I agree, I watched it a couple of times and couldn't see that all. In fact there is pretty clearly visible space between the ball and arm.

I always go to the "just beat the team badly enough and you won't have to worry about the umps" card. Not this time. Unfreakingbelievable.

I like the Alabama fan that says it's been a tight strike zone all game. Maybe for Little League.

Yeah how ridiculous is that dude? Alabama pitcher got strikes on about every pitch side-to-side, and certainly got the same pitches Sara did not get in the last inning every. single. time. And Lindeman's ball-4 he was bemoaning was pretty clearly inside; though from his standpoint, since Osorio got every. single. other. way. inside. pitch. called. a. strike., then I suppose why not bemoan that one, too?

What about "ball 3"? Where was that? It wasn't just that last pitch. The strike zone was relatively large all day - and was HUGE for the Alabama pitcher from start to finish. Then he decided Alabama and the precious SEC was too close to losing, so made sure Alabama won.

That mystery "ball 3" was where I knew Minny was going to lose no matter what. It was right down the middle the plate and waist high.
bad.jpg

I always go to the "just beat the team badly enough and you won't have to worry about the umps" card. Not this time. Unfreakingbelievable.

Agreed. I hate blaming the refs for anything as a general rule, but when you get three horrible calls in a row (one hit by pitch and two more on "balls" three and four in the final at-bat), it's time to call out the ref for deciding the game.

Wasn't the arm where the jersey rippled.. it was on the stomach area. The replay that showed it was the replay from straight on the hitter. (Camera above the dugout) Again, doesn't matter at this point

Wasn't the arm where the jersey rippled.. it was on the stomach area. The replay that showed it was the replay from straight on the hitter. (Camera above the dugout) Again, doesn't matter at this point

If you cannot be certain that a loose jersey was nicked, then you cannot put her on base; and certainly not after you sent back the other team's batter after she got hit on the elbow earlier in the game. And then, you cannot, just cannot make it worse by free-loading the next batter after 2 balls and 3 strikes were thrown. Travesty. That ump should be banned from ever umping collegiate ball again.

If you cannot be certain that a loose jersey was nicked, then you cannot put her on base; and certainly not after you sent back the other team's batter after she got hit on the elbow earlier in the game. And then, you cannot, just cannot make it worse by free-loading the next batter after 2 balls and 3 strikes were thrown. Travesty. That ump should be banned from ever umping collegiate ball again.
The ump was certain though, and so was the hitter and no argument from lindeman, as I'm sure they heard it

The ump was certain though, and so was the hitter and no argument from lindeman, as I'm sure they heard it

Many people are certain they are correct when they are not. His "certainty" is far less my concern than his ability to be (1) fair and (2) correct. An ump that cannot be both of those does not belong at any level, much less say NCAA Regionals.

Except for a sole Alabama fan, the poll of the rest disagrees with you:
http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/tuscaloosa-regional-8511886?&trail=180

Weather is our biggest enemy right now. Looks quite unlikely that we'd get the game in tonight, LATech/Albany could get pushed back to tomorrow anyways. Unless the if necessary gets moved to Monday, would have 3 straight games. Amber goes LaTech game for sure. If we get big enough lead then probably put Tori in since we'd likely need a reliever for game 1 vs Alabama. Obviously need to play for a win the first game against them, but if Sara goes CG and like 120 pitches hard to think she'd be top of her game for the next one.

Nice to see even the Alabama and Florida fans see how bad this has really become. It severely damages the sport's credibility when this type of crap (and it is utter crap) is allowed to take place. Wondering if the NCAA and the umpires can still find another way to screw over the Gophers one more time before all is said and done. I wouldn't bet against it.

I have no problem losing to Alabama but this game should not have taking place one game into the tournament. The frustration with me is how the committee screwed over the Gophers and Alabama to ensure that the Gophers hopes of the World Series was not going to happen or make it the most difficult path to get there. How was Kentucky seeded higher then Alabama when Alabama finished higher in the regular season and went deeper into the conference tourney. This issue has to be looked into to keep the integrity of the sport in my opinion. There was absolutely no reward for the season the Gophers had to put themselves in the best possible path to the World Series. Yes one will have to face tough teams to get there but in NO way does a 54-3 record deserves a path that the Gophers received.

My two cents, I know Allister doesn't like to bunt, but when she had Wagner on second and Arneson on first with Macken up, no outs in the 8th.... Not saying they could do it for sure, because she could pop it up, miss the pitch. etc., but try to get them over. Parlich next up, with Lindaman after that. Took me by surprise that she didn't attempt it. Heard her say once she doesn't like to give up outs. I better take her for her word on that and quit thinking it might happen.

My two cents, I know Allister doesn't like to bunt, but when she had Wagner on second and Arneson on first with Macken up, no outs in the 8th.... Not saying they could do it for sure, because she could pop it up, miss the pitch. etc., but try to get them over. Parlich next up, with Lindaman after that. Took me by surprise that she didn't attempt it. Heard her say once she doesn't like to give up outs. I better take her for her word on that and quit thinking it might happen.
2nd and 3rd one out for Parlich lets you be free swinging, walk or HBP and they have to pitch to Kendyl, wasted out and you're still getting bases loaded for Maddie after a walk. That was a pretty bad decision even with a senior up to bat

And still would have liked to see Partain be more aggressive fielding the almost perfect slap from Turner. Had no chance once she caught it in glove on second stop. Either need to scoop it on short hop or bare hand and quick toss to first. Teams seem to know they can steal on Lindaman

The dream is not dead!

Somebody has to come through with hits. The strike zone made it really tough today and I think the inside pitches being called strikes would have just been hit foul by Dwyer and Lindaman, who we really were counting on. But they each had a good pitch to hit in their last at bats and fouled them straight back. And nobody else came through. Wagner took a called third strike in extra innings with a runner in scoring position (that same inside pitch!) Somebody needs to deliver.

Sure, now we got weather problems, but Fiser pitches the next game weather it's today or tomorrow. Then Groenewegen for a game and a half or two with our staff to back her up. Alabama has been struggling offensively.

Our players should get even more irked and determined. They are totally capable of beating Alabama twice in a row. Alabama has played more good teams, they aren't going to get any better. Minnesota has more head room to adjust and learn from what happened today. It would be fantastic if they won this regional.

^^ We need to adjust and decide to either give up inside or outside but be able to hit the other. Crowding so much so outside should be easier, or open up a little to be able to pull the inside ones

Michigan up 1-0 over Washington in the bottom of the 1st. Betsa throwing for Michigan.
Ha! Make it 1-1. Now 3-1. Betsa gone.

The dream is not dead!

Somebody has to come through with hits. The strike zone made it really tough today and I think the inside pitches being called strikes would have just been hit foul by Dwyer and Lindaman, who we really were counting on. But they each had a good pitch to hit in their last at bats and fouled them straight back. And nobody else came through. Wagner took a called third strike in extra innings with a runner in scoring position (that same inside pitch!) Somebody needs to deliver.

Sure, now we got weather problems, but Fiser pitches the next game weather it's today or tomorrow. Then Groenewegen for a game and a half or two with our staff to back her up. Alabama has been struggling offensively.

Our players should get even more irked and determined. They are totally capable of beating Alabama twice in a row. Alabama has played more good teams, they aren't going to get any better. Minnesota has more head room to adjust and learn from what happened today. It would be fantastic if they won this regional.

One game at a time. Gophers were going to have to beat them twice one way or the other. Twice tomorrow instead of once today and once tomorrow.

Another lightning delay before Albany/Tech can start

I don't think even ruppert would argue that he is a 99% moron, but I do agree with him that we took too many pitches today.

I played both fast and slow pitch softball at a high level. If the Gophers had played their "A" game the botched umpire call would've certainly been questioned, but not the fire and brimstone comments that everybody is throwing out. What did the ladies have 5 called third strikes and 8 runners LOB? Plus striking out a season high number ( 11?) Bottom line, They put themselves in a position to get screwed. The " moron " comment? Being from Woodbury I'm just going to laugh it off. You're letting your emotions run away with you on this game. Have a nice evening. The Gophers live to fight another day.

Just saw the replay of the last pitch on channel 4. Wow is all I'll say at this time.

Top Bottom