Gopher Softball 2017

Gophers were cruising and had a bad inning defensively let Illinois right back in the game. They lose in 7, 4-3. now 4-1 in B1G.

Way too many errors early in the conference campaign. That's nine in five games. Gotta shore that up big time.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Way too many errors early in the conference campaign. That's nine in five games. Gotta shore that up big time.

Eight errors in the 2 Saturday games. One total error in the other 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sara G. steadies the waters today with a 5 hit shutout as the Gophers beat the Illini 4-1 to reach 30 wins for the 7th straight season. Congrats to the ladies.

Sara G. steadies the waters today with a 5 hit shutout as the Gophers beat the Illini 4-1 to reach 30 wins for the 7th straight season. Congrats to the ladies.

Yeah, good bounce back game. Also nice to see Dani Wagner pop one out today! :)

Sara G finished with 10 Ks and the defense was much better after a rough final two innings yesterday. At long last, the ladies return home to play their first two games at Cowles against South Dakota on Tuesday. Figure it will be a very nice crowd with a top-10 team at 30-3 getting to play their first games before the home folks.

Big win today. Really needed. If they fall two behind Michigan, even this early in the conference season, it's over. This is going to sound soooo stupid, but that was a huge loss yesterday with regards to winning the Conference. Michigan is just going Betsa, Blanco, Betsa, Blanco etc. and they are both throwing well. Think they are up around 40 straight innings without a run given up.

Big win today. Really needed. If they fall two behind Michigan, even this early in the conference season, it's over. This is going to sound soooo stupid, but that was a huge loss yesterday with regards to winning the Conference. Michigan is just going Betsa, Blanco, Betsa, Blanco etc. and they are both throwing well. Think they are up around 40 straight innings without a run given up.

Have to admit, I'm also hoping that loss doesn't come back to bite them. Considering how Michigan is rolling along right now, the margin for error seems very small.

Illinois is a good team though, so I'd say it wasn't the end of the world to drop one on the road to them. They are going to be a to 5 team in conference.

Big Ten Standings

Michigan 6-0 (Michigan and Ohio State hook up next weekend in Columbus.)
Ohio State 6-0
Minnesota 5-1
Illinois 4-2
Purdue 4-2
Indiana 3-3
Michigan State 3-3
Nebraska 3-3
Wisconsin 2-4
Penn State 2-4
Iowa 2-4
Northwestern 1-5
Rutgers 1-5
Maryland 0-6

Michigan remaining conference schedule
3 games @Ohio State
1 game @Michigan State
3 games @Maryland
1 game at home against Michigan State
3 games @Wisconsin
3 games at home against Indiana
3 games @Rutgers

Ohio State remaining conference schedule
3 games at home against Michigan
2 games @Penn State
3 games @Michigan State
3 games at home against Iowa
3 games @Illinois

Minnesota remaining conference schedule
3 games at home against Northwestern
2 games @Wisconsin
3 games at home against Iowa
3 games at home against Purdue
3 games @Penn State

Some stats (all games)
Minnesota hitting .343
Michigan .323

Minnesota ERA 1.47
Michigan 1.64

Fielding
Michigan .982 with 16 errors
Minnesota .966 with 32 errors

Groenewegen with an ERA OF .50
Betsa with a 1.23
Groenewegen with 136 strikeouts in 98.2 innings
Betsa with 221 in 125.1 innings

Nicole Evans of Illinois with 12 home runs
Kendyl Lindaman with 11

Gophers run less than 13 of the 14 teams in the Big Ten with 19 out of 25 attempts in the stolen base department.

http://www.bigten.org/library/stats/soft-team.html

The ladies certainly took care of business against South Dakota, sweeping the Coyotes 8-0 and 12-0 in their first two home games of the season at Cowles yesterday.

Lindaman continued her freaky pace of bombs, hitting two more monster shots in game one while Houlihan hit her first of the season and Arneson her third. Finucane was overpowering in the circle in game one, finishing with 9 Ks and giving up just one hit.

More of the same in game two. Dwyer hit a homer and Fiser looked really good in the circle for the second straight outing. Now 32-3 with the Hoosiers coming to town this weekend.

The ladies certainly took care of business against South Dakota, sweeping the Coyotes 8-0 and 12-0 in their first two home games of the season at Cowles yesterday.

Lindaman continued her freaky pace of bombs, hitting two more monster shots in game one while Houlihan hit her first of the season and Arneson her third. Finucane was overpowering in the circle in game one, finishing with 9 Ks and giving up just one hit.

More of the same in game two. Dwyer hit a homer and Fiser looked really good in the circle for the second straight outing. Now 32-3 with the Hoosiers coming to town this weekend.

I think I read the Gopher season record for Home Runs is 13 and Lindaman is at 9 with 18 games or more left. She's not only going to sail past the single season record, she may near the career record by the end of next year. She'll be driving Partain home quite a few more times over the next few years (I assume Partain will move to 3rd in the order starting next year).

I think I read the Gopher season record for Home Runs is 13 and Lindaman is at 9 with 18 games or more left. She's not only going to sail past the single season record, she may near the career record by the end of next year. She'll be driving Partain home quite a few more times over the next few years (I assume Partain will move to 3rd in the order starting next year).

She actually already has 13 and it turns out the school record in a single season is 15. I agree, I think she'll get past that number pretty easily. It was interesting to see South Dakota's pitchers give her nothing but away, away, away after she hit the second homer. Anything belt-high over the inner half she just crushes, so I would expect opposing pitchers to try and stay away as much as possible. But if they make a mistake over the inner-half, it's a moon-ball out to left.

The ladies overcame a rare shaky showing from Sara G in the circle to down the Hoosiers 11-6. Indiana battled pretty hard all night, but didn't have the firepower to keep pace with the Gophers. Lindaman and Parlich with bombs while Dwyer added two hits. Committed two more errors that led to three unearned runs, but found a way to win despite that. Now 33-3 overall and 6-1 in conference.

Double-dip tomorrow.

Ha, I get so dependent on seeing a 12 k performance with only one or two hits given up by Groenewegen. Indiana hitters appeared to be getting some good swings in against Sara. (Partain must have really hit that ball hard after the Lindaman home run. The one that struck the pitcher, who subsequently came out of the game.)

Looks like the Michigan/Ohio State game is postponed.

I like it when Cowger's the DP when Sara is pitching. Then Sara just has to pitch and hit. Cowger can run for her each time she gets on base.
No need to have your ace running bases.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

(Can't help myself from scoreboard watching) Michigan puts 4 up in the 1st inning against the Buckeyes. Ohio Sate came back with one in the bottom to make it half 4-1. Betsa is pitching for the Wolverines.

Side note: Gophers and Hoosiers look sharp in those uni's.

Gophers going with Fiser in the 2nd game.

Fiser with 2 hits allowed, 1 base on balls in the 8-0 5 inning victory.

Michigan a 7-2 winner in their 1st game. Down to Ohio State 2-0, top of the 3rd inning, second game.
3-2 Michigan after a 3 run home run in the 3rd.
Michigan takes the second game 8-4. Betsa came in for the last 3 innings and recorded 9 strikeouts. She had 21 on the day.

It's fun to have our own outfield warehouse to bounce homers off of. Okey, it's the new football training facility and one of the homers actually disappeared through the framed opening; but it's as close to Camden Yards as we're going to get.

Bummed I missed the double-dip, but it looks like the ladies took care of business. Grand-slams from Arneson and Dwyer? Awesome! Also looks like Fiser is finding a groove. On to next weekend versus Northwestern...

I like it when Cowger's the DP when Sara is pitching. Then Sara just has to pitch and hit. Cowger can run for her each time she gets on base.
Agreed. The less wear and tear on Sara, the better.

Top Bottom