Gopher Softball 2017

Shoot, have been working a night shift, so sleeping through all these games! Did not even know Lindaman and Houlihan had swapped spots in the lineup. Only 2 runs allowed in the last 6 games. Storming through the Big Ten schedule. Really impressive.

Shoot, have been working a night shift, so sleeping through all these games! Did not even know Lindaman and Houlihan had swapped spots in the lineup. Only 2 runs allowed in the last 6 games. Storming through the Big Ten schedule. Really impressive.

They switched during second game at Wisconsin. Partain is coming back down to earth and Houlihan was crushing it. So after a Big Ten tying 5 walks in game one for Lindaman, coach swapped the two.

Just looked at the weekly scores. Both Arizona (Lost to #6 Oregon) and Texas A&M (Lost to #17 Louisiana Lafayette) lost a game this week and both are ranked ahead of the Gophers. Oregon was #6, but they lost 2 of 3 to Arizona. I'd guess the Gophers move up to the #3 spot just behind Florida and Florida St. It's important we win our next 8 games to finish the season so we can secure a super regional. If we win out in the regular season, it won't matter if we lose one game in the Big Ten tournament.

Gophs hold at #11 in this week's RPI. Honestly it probably would be best if the NDSU doubleheader was cancelled. Their record is really down - they're not the same team they usually are which is not going to help our RPI.

Gophs hold at #11 in this week's RPI. Honestly it probably would be best if the NDSU doubleheader was cancelled. Their record is really down - they're not the same team they usually are which is not going to help our RPI.

If they win out in the regular season, I could see them jumping some schools with higher RPIs for the 8th seed.

If they win out in the regular season, I could see them jumping some schools with higher RPIs for the 8th seed.

They will. The committee uses their brains for selections and you're not going to deny a team tied for the fewest losses in the nation. The 9th ranked team has 10 losses (even if they did beat us twice). I'm not too worried about RPI...

Up to #4 now. Team will be even better next year too. Losing Sara will be tough, but Amber's been pitching very well (and the rough innings like NW will help make her better) and still have Carlie and Katelyn on bench as freshmen. Coach definitely deserves a raise and extension at end of season. In-state recruiting and PJ's 6 hour radius has been great too, they just need to keep raiding Vortex/As after getting Maddie and Carlie and Katelyn from them.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/softball/msu-michigan-hutchins-continues-title-ix-fight

Not the Gophers; but an interesting article on long time Michigan head coach, Carol Hutchins. It describes her fight for Title IX including her class action lawsuit (filed in 1978), Hutchins vs. the Board of Trustees of Michigan State University, which she initiated while a two sport, softball and basketball, at MSU.

“Women were just supposed to be happy for doing anything,” Hutchins said. “And the athletic directors would say, ‘Well, just be happy you get to do it.’”

Hutchins was happy to do it, but wanted more. The “****ty gym time,” the poor travel and the diet consisting of almost only McDonald’s wasn’t fair for the female athletes. They were reluctantly given the minimum from the Athletic Department because they had to comply with the law, and Hutchins wouldn’t stand for it.

“There was a lot of pushback,” Hutchins said. “We didn’t feel very appreciated, and you know what? At some point, we got mad about it.”

Thus came Hutchins vs. Board of Trustees of Michigan State University. Hutchins gathered her teammates and they collectively tried to make a change for all women in sports.

After graduating from Michigan State in 1979, Hutchins went on to get her master’s degree at Indiana and then an assistant coaching job for the Hoosier’s softball team. Two years later, she was hired as an assistant coach at Michigan. Two seasons after that, she took over.

Gophers lose to NDSU today in the first game! Let's hope the second game goes better.

The only question in the first game is did NDSU's run really score?

It looked like player on 2nd was cruising home, and the batter might have been tagged out at 2nd before the run scored.

The only question in the first game is did NDSU's run really score?

It looked like player on 2nd was cruising home, and the batter might have been tagged out at 2nd before the run scored.

Yeah it definitely scored. It was a bizarre way to end a game though. Can't believe the girl tried to stretch the hit to a double!

Sorry, day late and a dollar short, see Lindaman set the record. Wow, what a year. Also Arneson with another home run. Good power for for her size. Had 5 last year also. The obvious, Sara G is something else. She is so freaking good. Fiser must have thrown a good one also.

Sorry, day late and a dollar short, see Lindaman set the record. Wow, what a year. Also Arneson with another home run. Good power for for her size. Had 5 last year also. The obvious, Sara G is something else. She is so freaking good. Fiser must have thrown a good one also.

Allie's my favorite hitter on team. Never wastes time getting back into box and seems focused. #3 obp on team behind Maddie and Kendyl, but high strikeout rate. She'd be a good #2 next year, move Makenna up to 1 to replace Macken

Allie's my favorite hitter on team. Never wastes time getting back into box and seems focused. #3 obp on team behind Maddie and Kendyl, but high strikeout rate. She'd be a good #2 next year, move Makenna up to 1 to replace Macken

Ha, yeah she charges back into the box after pitches.

Groenewegen was the number 2 pick in the draft. (Just saw it.) Betsa was #6 and going to the same club, Akron. Will be interesting to see which one fares the best at the next level. Hoping the stars align and those two hook up in the tourney title game.

No hitter and eight run rule in the same game. The roll continues

8-0 final. Macken with two home runs...

9-1 in the first game today. Sara pitched again and gave up a solo home run as the only hit. So 10.1 innings this weekend and one hit and one run. I'd be shocked if Fiser doesn't start game 2. They let Finucane finish the last 2 outs to give the senior another chance to pitch in front of her parents. The way Fiser has been pitching, she'll be relied on to start a game or two during the post season.

12-2 in 5 innings in the second game to improve to 48-3!

Win 1 at Penn State next weekend to win a share of the regular season title, win 2 for outright title!

Arizona lost again last night to Arizona St. So that's their 5th loss. Likely means we'll be the #3 team in the land on Tuesday. Florida and Florida St play a game this week, so one of them will lose, but likely won't change the rankings. Heady times for our squad.

Another awards sweep:

Lindaman player & freshman of the week
Groenewegen pitcher of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of other items of note:

1. The Gophers rank in the top three in the country in both batting average and ERA. Right now, their batting average of .347 is just behind San Diego State and James Madison while their ERA of 1.18 is behind only No.1 Florida, whose team ERA is a mind-boggling .75. The ladies' offensive average of 7.25 runs per game also ranks No. 3 in the country.

2. Minnesota has the most wins in Division I and has the best winning percentage in the country.

3. Sara G is No.3 in the country in ERA, behind Florida's Kelly Barnhill's .16 and James' Madison's Megan Good's .51. She is also fourth in the country in victories with 25.

4. Sydney Dwyer is No. 2 in the country in RBIs with 69. She trails Louisiana's D.J. Sanders, who has 70. Kendyl Lindaman is fifth with 64.

5. Lindaman is also tied for sixth in the country with her 18 home runs and is third in the country in on-base percentage at .581. Her slugging percentage of .914 ranks fifth in the nation.

Just an incredible year for coach Allister and the ladies! :clap::clap::clap:

Anybody know what to expect university/booster club offers for travel and ticket packages when we make WCWS? I'm currently planning on blocking off work for those days to be able to drive down to OKC, it's not clear if the all fan experience pass thing actually includes tickets or not, but would be easiest just if team has a section for the sessions we'd play in

Anybody know what to expect university/booster club offers for travel and ticket packages when we make WCWS? I'm currently planning on blocking off work for those days to be able to drive down to OKC, it's not clear if the all fan experience pass thing actually includes tickets or not, but would be easiest just if team has a section for the sessions we'd play in

I know there will be a reserved section for the players Family/Friends "pass list." As far as donors/university fans that are not affiliated with the players, I'm not sure if they have tickets blocked for them.

The fan experience pass for Hockey was on top of the regular ticket cost (so if you bought it, you did have tickets to the game as well). It was a blocked off area with some food and alcohol and music for prior to the game. Hockey was in Chicago, so there was plenty else to do, so I didn't bother with the fan experience crap. Not sure if there are others that think it was worth the extra money...

Top Bottom