Gopher Softball 2017

My 52-1 (tongue in cheek) season prediction is still in play...

While we can petition Coyle to give her a raise and continue to support her program, you can help coach Allister by contributing to her softball enhancement fund at
https://crowdfund.umn.edu/GopherSoftball
This money will go directly to her program and will be used for any discretionary expenses. For example, this year, the money was used to finance the training trip to Florida in January. I believe it is a big reason the team is off to such a great start.

Penn State lost a nail biter to Washington (Gophers are heading to the Huskie's tourney) today by a score of 13-1. Same two teams play again tomorrow.

Washington is 39-1 all time at the Husky Classic.

Penn State lost a nail biter to Washington (Gophers are heading to the Huskie's tourney) today by a score of 13-1. Same two teams play again tomorrow.

Washington is 39-1 all time at the Husky Classic.

My high school team played a goalie about 10 years ago who was 55-0 in his career. Someone at the game had the"55-1" sign and we did beat them. Never will forget it...

Gophers 7, Seattle 0

19-0 heading into the showdown with Washington coming up next...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sure wish this one could be viewed.

Gophers grab a 2-0 lead heading into the bottom of the 1st.
2-1 after 1 inning. Groenewegen strikes out the last 2 hitters with the bases full.
2-2 after two innings. 6 hits and a walk given up by Groenewegen thus far.
Huskies had runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs, bottom of 5th and Groenewegen worked out of it.
Washington gets a lead off home run in the bottom of the 6th to go up 3-2.
Gophers fall to the Huskies 3-2.

Gophers play the same teams today. Seattle at 2:30 and Washington at 7:00.
Washington coach, Heather Tarr, picked up her 500th win in the victory over Minnesota. (Really would be great to get this next one against the Huskies.)

Lindaman was 3-3 with 2 RBI's.
Parlich had a couple of hits.
Washington with 11 hits in their 6 innings of at bats. Every player with at least 1 hit. Both teams left 7 runners on.
Neither team with an error.
First 6 hitters in the Gopher order had the 9 hits.
4 strikeouts for Groenewegen and 7 for Alvelo, the Washington pitcher.
Groenewegen with 99 pitches, 66 strikes. Alvelo with 109 pitches, 66 strikes. 1 base on balls for Groenewegen and 2 for Alvelo.
1-2 count on the home run ball in the 6th, batter had struck out in both previous at bats.

Read that the wind was blowing out pretty good and the home run was a routine high fly ball and just cleared the center field fence. (From a Husky fan.)

I said we'd split with Washington. Still expect to. Let's get it back.

The schedule has changed for the remainder of the weekend due to weather. Only 1 game today against Seattle at 4:45.

Game against Washington has been moved to tomorrow. Gophers play South Dakota at noon and then Washington at 2:15.

Gophers defeat Seattle U 14-6 in 6 innings. Brandt (4-0) gets the win. Judge started and went 2.2 innings. Fiser came in and went 1 and Brandt finished it with 2.1 innings of scoreless relief.
Partain and Groenewegen each had 3 hits. Macken, Houlihan, Dwyer and Wagner all had 2 hits. Dwyer with a 3 run homer. She had 5 RBI'S.

What is with Sara Groenewegen's hitting this year? She has been very reliable the past few years but has an awful average so far. I keep assuming it will come around and we'll be a better team once it does. Glad to see the 3 hits today.

Brandt making her 7th appearance and first start of the year. Certainly deserving.

6-0 Minnesota after 1 inning. Lindaman with a 2 run double and Dwyer with a 3 run homer.
Gophers win 8-0 as Brandt 1 hits South Dakota. 10 ground outs, 2 fly outs, 3 strikeouts and doesn't walk a batter.

Huskies throwing the same pitcher the Gophers saw yesterday.
Gophers down 3-0 after a 3 run homer in the 1st inning.
2 run homer for Washington in the 2nd. 5-0.
Brandt in now. Finucane got into the 4th and walked three straight hitters. Still 5-0 in the 4th. Check that, 9-0 now.
Gophers lose to Washington 9-0 in 5 innings. Gophers with just 3 hits.

Anyone know why Sara G didn't pitch that game? I'm sure there is a good reason, I just was out and missed the game.

Anyone know why Sara G didn't pitch that game? I'm sure there is a good reason, I just was out and missed the game.
No idea, but I like the idea of throwing Finucane against a team of Washington's caliber the day after they got a good long look at SG. It didn't work out, but I like the idea. I think using SG less early is a good idea as well.

Back down to earth after the unbelievable start. This team is really good so I think it was a positive to hit a bump in the road at this point of the season.

Ski-U-Mah!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Gophers up 3-0 over Oregon State after a half inning of play.
Gophers win 6-0. Groenewegen with 14 strikeouts, 2 walks. Lindaman with a solo home run. Partain with 3 hits, Lindaman, Groenewegen and Dwyer each with 2. Lindaman and Dwyer each had 2 RBI's.

There goes 52-1. I'm going to have to hope for 51-2 now...

Gophers drop a spot in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches poll, now at #8. Washington moved from #8 to #6 after the two wins over Minnesota.
Michigan at #19 and Wisconsin at #24.
Three B1G teams, not bad at all.

Nice match up tomorrow against #20/23 California. They are 16-4 overall with 6 of those wins against Big Ten squads. No home run power on the club, just 2 on the year. Looks like they run a lot, 26 out of 33 in steal attempts. Zoe Conley has made appearances in 16 of their 20 games with 12 starts, so she is their work horse in the circle. 62 hits and 31 walks in 75.1 innings. She has more than double the innings of anyone else on the staff. The Bears also have a game this evening versus Lehigh.
It will be interesting to see who Allister sends out to the circle tomorrow to start the game.
Only 3 more games till the Big Ten schedule starts. Season is going fast.

Gophers bounce back with a convincing win over Cal!

Get your season tickets and watch these ladies!
Hey I was supposed to get my tickets yesterday but work got crazy and I never called. Everyone wait until I get my tickets tomorrow morning before you order yours!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I think this team is going to dominate the B1G this season, unlike other years, they are playing a very easy conference schedule and its not altogether unreasonable to see them go through the season undefeated, although I wouldn't get upset if they lost a game or two, as it has to be tough to win every game. But I have a feeling this team is going to break some records this season. Just hope it finally translates into a deep run in the post season.

This team is indeed really good. I'll be suprised if, barring injuries or some other unforseen occurence, they lose more than 10 games this year.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Gophers beat Pacific 12-1 and 10-0 today if I'm reading things correctly. Fiser threw the 12-1 game and Finucane the 10-0 victory. Lindaman, Dwer and Groenwegen all homered in the 12 run game. Parlich had 3 hits and Lindaman 4 RBI's in that one also. Finucane with 7 strikeouts, 2 hits allowed and 2 walks. Fiser with 3 strikeouts, 4 hits allowed and 1 walk.

Gophers beat Pacific 12-1 and 10-0 today if I'm reading things correctly. Fiser threw the 12-1 game and Finucane the 10-0 victory. Lindaman, Dwer and Groenwegen all homered in the 12 run game. Parlich had 3 hits and Lindaman 4 RBI's in that one also. Finucane with 7 strikeouts, 2 hits allowed and 2 walks. Fiser with 3 strikeouts, 4 hits allowed and 1 walk.

I like our team. Time to rock the Big Ten!

Top Bottom