Whats up with recruiting?

At some point the staff needs to bring in a top 25 class.

Respectfully, Ruppert, the day a Gopher football coach does that is the day we sign 10-15 Jeff Jones' or Jeffery Simmons'. It would have to be a recruiting class of red-flag prospects left and right.

How you perform in recruiting seems to loosely follow the previous season's results, which is why last year's class was so much better (even though it fell off a bit at the end) than our previous years. So unfortunately, last season, combined with the lack of in-state talent this year, doesn't give us much to work off of this year. This is part of the reason why I think it's crucial that we capitalize on our easier schedule this year. That's what Iowa did last year.

I think the way recruiting success interacts with on-field success is one of the biggest factors that makes it so difficult to take the next step up as a program. You essentially have to string together 3-4 seasons where you perform above expectations in order to make the success sustainable.

Yep i.e brew's 2008 class

Agree, but I think the mindset of TC and staff wouldn't bring in kids with questionable characters. They did miss the boat on Jeff Jones. It was a chance Kill and staff took in order to put the kid on the right track.

How you perform in recruiting seems to loosely follow the previous season's results, which is why last year's class was so much better (even though it fell off a bit at the end) than our previous years. So unfortunately, last season, combined with the lack of in-state talent this year, doesn't give us much to work off of this year. This is part of the reason why I think it's crucial that we capitalize on our easier schedule this year. That's what Iowa did last year.

I think the way recruiting success interacts with on-field success is one of the biggest factors that makes it so difficult to take the next step up as a program. You essentially have to string together 3-4 seasons where you perform above expectations in order to make the success sustainable.

Tbh, I would say last year's seemingly strong class was entirely to do with the very robust in state crew and the feeling in the state that we were truly ready to take the next step under Kill. Future trajectory will depend on in state talent and Claeys keeping that drive alive imo

Remember, this will be a small class. Therefore, TC can't take as many chances.

Maybe for the top 10-15 recruiting classes, yes. Let's see where Iowa actually settles in the end for 2017. No doubt they've had a good year so far, but their classes have as close to #50 as they've been to #25 in the previous 5 years. Same for Wisc...they really haven't had a top 25 class in the last 5 years either.

Respectfully, Ruppert, the day a Gopher football coach does that is the day we sign 10-15 Jeff Jones' or Jeffery Simmons'. It would have to be a recruiting class of red-flag prospects left and right.
You don't need top 25 recruiting classes to win games. Virginia Tech did it for years. (Just to poke ruppert in the eye) Iowa and Wisconsin do it now.

It all starts with getting every kid in state who the coaching staff thinks thinkso that can play. Either with a scholarship or as a walk on. So far so good here but this doesn't build you a top 25 class.

The second part is getting kids from Texas Florida and California (just using the big three as an example) to come to Minnesota. This is the difficult part. The opinion here is going to be different then from the outside. Minnesota for the most part is still behind Iowa Nebraska and Wisconsin for national recognition. This is why we should be be playing big games against big opponents. To MOST not all high school kids the Gophers are an after thought to those other three.

At some point the staff needs to bring in a top 25 class.

You don't need top 25 recruiting classes to win games. Virginia Tech did it for years. (Just to poke ruppert in the eye) Iowa and Wisconsin do it now.

It all starts with getting every kid in state who the coaching staff thinks thinkso that can play. Either with a scholarship or as a walk on. So far so good here but this doesn't build you a top 25 class.

The second part is getting kids from Texas Florida and California (just using the big three as an example) to come to Minnesota. This is the difficult part. The opinion here is going to be different then from the outside. Minnesota for the most part is still behind Iowa Nebraska and Wisconsin for national recognition. This is why we should be be playing big games against big opponents. To MOST not all high school kids the Gophers are an after thought to those other three.
Agree the key is establishing pipeline in talent laden areas. A side from the big three you just mentioned, there is a good football being played all over the Sunbelt, and states like Ohio, Indiana, Illind Pennsylvania and New jersey will always produce talent as well. Our staff seems to have good relations with coaches in Georgia and Alabama, I am sure coach Johnson has some in the South east as well. The JUCo schools in states like Iowa and Kansas seem to produce talent and we've gotten some good players out of there too. Just need to keep expanding those relationships, have some success stories come out of there, can't underestimate the importance of putting guys like Damien Wilson, Devondre Campbell and Cedric Thompson in the NFL and helping them get drafted.

IMO it would help recruiting from Texas if you developed a reputation for scheduling a team from Texas every year in non-Conference (2 year start with TCU helps). Kids from Texas would get a chance to see you in person and more importantly know that they would have a chance for hometown fans to have an opportunity to see them play at least once a year in person in addition to on TV. That would mean some early season away games, but I'd trade home at home with Texas schools over home games against schools that don't advance the program.

Top Bottom