New DB transfer from Houston Baptist!

Lordshawesome

Reaction score
Played at Oregon before JC. Sounds promising. Will have 2 yr of eligibility.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 yr of eligibility, I mean. Stupid big fingers... lol

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Played in 1 game in 2 years at Oregon.

2015 season at Houston Baptist (a 4-year school, not JC) he had 1 INT, no pass break-ups, and 31 tackles in 9 games.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Greder's comment is a little misleading since the kid is really transferring in from a Texas JC and not Oregon as his wording would make it seem. Nothing wrong with adding experienced depth though and hopefully he turns out to be good enough to see some significant time.

Mods - please change thread title; as Hodger stated, he is a grad transfer from an NCAA school, not a JC.

Him and his twin brother both signed with Oregon out of HS. His twin brother transferred to Illinois State.

We could really use the depth in the defensive backfield. I can't imagine that we could possibly have a similar amount of injuries as last year in our defensive backfield, but depth is always good.

Do we know if he's on scholarship?

Mods - please change thread title; as Hodger stated, he is a grad transfer from an NCAA school, not a JC.

Correct, he is transferring from Houston Baptist University, an FCS school.

http://www.hbuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2215

In nine games last year he had 31 total tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception. Not gaudy numbers, but we'll see what happens. He was on an awfully bad team (2-9). It was only the school's third year having football at all (second official year), so it's not like he had a lot of talent around him...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Baptist_Huskies_football

Oh, FCS. My bad. On the 24/7 site, the JC & grad transfers look very similar. Looks like a great get, either way.

If Oregon & Chip Kelly found him a talented enough athlete, to offer him a scholarship, that says something.

Coming from a powerhouse team in a powerhouse conference he should be ready from the git go to play in the BIG.
I wonder who his contact at MN was. I did not know until today that Houston Baptist existed.

Not excited. This tells me we aren't in on a good crop of DB's for 2017. This reminds me of the QB Kill brought in from I believe Texas. ( Dexter ? ) It's early, but right now it is alarming at the lack of visits we have setup compared to other Power 5 teams.

Not excited. This tells me we aren't in on a good crop of DB's for 2017. This reminds me of the QB Kill brought in from I believe Texas. ( Dexter ? ) It's early, but right now it is alarming at the lack of visits we have setup compared to other Power 5 teams.

So a guy who will play exclusively in 2016 is indicative of who we're recruiting for 2017? You never fail to bring spectacular insight.

TC has previously said that, we need to stay healthy at safety, because we are thin there. The kid's profile says he can play either as nickel back or coverage safety, we have a few extra scholarships so they are adding a little depth, nothing more or less than that. There's no need to be a chicken little, the coaches saw a way to make the team a little stronger, so they did. I for one, am glad the coaches are being proactive, it's paying attention to the little things that adds up.

Not to mention it might help not burning a redshirt this year for one of the incoming freshmen. And at the absolute worst, the kid will play on special teams.

Isn't Oregon Defense an oxymoron? I'd rather have former Duck offense...

Although glad for this kid to get one more shot at div 1.

Claeys needed matured experienced bodies on the depth chart, and it sounds like this kid can play two positions.

So a guy who will play exclusively in 2016 is indicative of who we're recruiting for 2017? You never fail to bring spectacular insight.

A. Watch his film ( don't think he is going to see much of the field)
B. It looks like nobody will step up as a true freshman in the defensive backfield
C. Look at the number of visits currently scheduled for 2017 for DB's ....Zero

B. It looks like nobody will step up as a true freshman in the defensive backfield

Even if your A, B, and C are true, they have nothing to do with one another. This guy being brought in says nothing about current recruiting, and is just taking up an open scholarship. If you wanted to be intelligent, you could say that it shows a lack of 2016 recruiting...but I don't think that is your strong suit. Seriously - you are the worst.

Since he is only a one year player, this isn't a big deal if true. We have extra scholarships so why not use them? The alternative is to give the scholarship to someone already on the team (walkon) or give one to a high school kid who probably shouldn't get one.

No it doesn't. This was a chance to add depth to the team, nothing more, nothing less IMO. If he ends up getting beat out by some of the young guys, so be it.

What does this have to do with Amoako? He will be gone after this season. And we just signed six DB's in 2016 so my guess is we will only sign a couple in 2017. And of all the position groups on the team, DB is easily the least to worry about with this coaching staff. They've done a phenomenal job recruiting and developing DB's.

Top Bottom