Charles Buggs to transfer

I remember reading an article from Amelia maybe last year with an antidote about Buggs not having filled out brackets for March madness. I think she also mentioned him having a very high GPA (3.8 or so) and my read on him was he is more of an intellectual than a jock. Would have been great to see him put it together on the court, but there's more to life and I have a lot of respect a kid with those qualities.
This reminds me if a high school coach who had an exceptional athlete on the team at a school primarily focused on the arts. When I talked with him about the kids potential, he just cringed and said, "Yeah, but the d@mn kid wants to play the violin!"
Buggs reminds me of that kid.

That being said, I wish Mr. Buggs all the best. It sounds like he's a really likeable guy.

responding to a few points at once:

creighton is definitely interested - did you have a source? they specifically asked and are very interested, but I am not sure about the fit. for the record, I know things 2nd hand, but ultimately the family decides everything. again great people. I would never want to share too much, but just responding generally.

not getting along with Pitino - as someone stated, 3 years is a long time to stay somewhere that you do not get along. I believe that the coaching style and player mentality is a bad fit. Tubby's style was a much better fit (he did recruit him after all).

that said, it is not all on Pitino in any way. Charles can be better. we all see it. some respond to Pitino-type coaching style. he has his own recruits who actively choose to play for him. it just wasnt the best fit, but to say they didnt get along seems dramatic.

Charles stayed because he picked Minnesota and not a coach. he did choose Tubby, but they all discussed when he chose the school that it is about the school. we tell all our kids pick a SCHOOL not a coach - coaches leave, fired, etc. Tubby in fact moved again, this time on his own.

Charles stayed at Minnesota because he loved it and wanted to be there. Pitino wanted him to be a big part of thing this season and always praised his potential. the team and Charles all wanted to do better this season, but there were other circumstances as well. I was fired up after 10 and 9 versus tourney team Temple. then the rest of the season did not go as well.

I think Charles can be better and Pitino knew that. I dont know that they knew how to push the right buttons with each other, so to speak.

I believe both parties have respect and also both want to move on - hence their very fair quotes in the release.

Charles can be better and clearly Minnesota will be better than last season. Buggs was a bit of an enigma for the Gophers, and will always be part of the programs history, even in an unpredictable fashion.

Long live Buggs over Iowa - that was so much fun to watch. Best of luck Gopher fans.

responding to a few points at once:

creighton is definitely interested - did you have a source? they specifically asked and are very interested, but I am not sure about the fit. for the record, I know things 2nd hand, but ultimately the family decides everything. again great people. I would never want to share too much, but just responding generally.

not getting along with Pitino - as someone stated, 3 years is a long time to stay somewhere that you do not get along. I believe that the coaching style and player mentality is a bad fit. Tubby's style was a much better fit (he did recruit him after all).

that said, it is not all on Pitino in any way. Charles can be better. we all see it. some respond to Pitino-type coaching style. he has his own recruits who actively choose to play for him. it just wasnt the best fit, but to say they didnt get along seems dramatic.

Charles stayed because he picked Minnesota and not a coach. he did choose Tubby, but they all discussed when he chose the school that it is about the school. we tell all our kids pick a SCHOOL not a coach - coaches leave, fired, etc. Tubby in fact moved again, this time on his own.

Charles stayed at Minnesota because he loved it and wanted to be there. Pitino wanted him to be a big part of thing this season and always praised his potential. the team and Charles all wanted to do better this season, but there were other circumstances as well. I was fired up after 10 and 9 versus tourney team Temple. then the rest of the season did not go as well.

I think Charles can be better and Pitino knew that. I dont know that they knew how to push the right buttons with each other, so to speak.

I believe both parties have respect and also both want to move on - hence their very fair quotes in the release.

Charles can be better and clearly Minnesota will be better than last season. Buggs was a bit of an enigma for the Gophers, and will always be part of the programs history, even in an unpredictable fashion.

Long live Buggs over Iowa - that was so much fun to watch. Best of luck Gopher fans.

Jimmy- I have enjoyed your positive approach and your insights on Charles! Thanks.

All the positivity is nice for a change. I like it. I think I will go out and plants some flower to help make the world a better place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff all around.

As others have alluded, I would be really interested to see Buggs go to a team where he's "the man."

Doogie said on his latest podcast that he had a source tell him he's "90% sure" Charles Buggs ends up at Memphis with Tubby Smith. Doogie also mentioned that the Gophers will play Northern Illinois next season.

I remember reading an article from Amelia maybe last year with an antidote about Buggs not having filled out brackets for March madness. I think she also mentioned him having a very high GPA (3.8 or so) and my read on him was he is more of an intellectual than a jock. Would have been great to see him put it together on the court, but there's more to life and I have a lot of respect a kid with those qualities.

An antidote to the poison that Reusse spews?

The Gophers need to play Strong Style Basketball NXT, er, next season.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Fixed it for you. Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, Purdue, and Rutgers have had just as many or more transfers as the Gophers this offseason. This is just college basketball in 2016. Players from good and bad programs are transferring all the time.

Shh, don't confuse him with facts. You'll ruin his opportunity to slam the University of Minnesota at every chance like he so loves to do.

Good stuff all around. As others have alluded, I would be really interested to see Buggs go to a team where he's "the man."

He had chances to be the man this year when everyone was suspended. He completely disappeared during those games.

Doogie said on his latest podcast that he had a source tell him he's "90% sure" Charles Buggs ends up at Memphis with Tubby Smith. Doogie also mentioned that the Gophers will play Northern Illinois next season.

I don't know who Doogie is, but while it is certainly an option, 90% is too high.

Thanks to others for the kind replies.

If he's a religious chap, perhaps a place like TCU would be a good fit.

Its Doogie so I'd give him a 50/50 shot at being 50 percent right about one of those but only because he completely guessed and not because he has an actual source.

Memphis is certainly in the running, mainly due to Tubby
He may be visiting USC, which could be exciting and a great educational opportunity
Tulane and TCU are also in the running, along with UTSA and a few others having shown strong interest

I believe things are very much still up in the air

Memphis is certainly in the running, mainly due to Tubby
He may be visiting USC, which could be exciting and a great educational opportunity
Tulane and TCU are also in the running, along with UTSA and a few others having shown strong interest

I believe things are very much still up in the air

Thanks for the update. Would be interesting to see him back with Tubby. Hopefully he ends up on a team that makes it to the tournament.

Thanks for the update. Would be interesting to see him back with Tubby. Hopefully he ends up on a team that makes it to the tournament.

I want to see him back with Tub-Tub. Wish Joe Coleman would have done the same... looks like he graduated from the UofM and is working for Sport Ngin.

Buggsy on official visit to USC

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

His first two years in conference were terrible - Derryck Thornton Jr. duke transfer just announced he was going to usc- enfield has some sort of college record for free throw percentage - I had a close view of fgcu run- my son played for a year on the team( before the tourney run)

Top Bottom