Charles Buggs to transfer

Best move for both sides. Best of luck to Buggs.

I wonder if we will hear about another grad transfer coming in to the "U" in the next week or two. I can't imagine the staff taking a guy who will take up a scholarship beyond next year unless they can get a major impact player. It seems pretty clear they want three guys in the 2017 class.

Good luck to Buggs wherever he ends up.

I wonder if we will hear about another grad transfer coming in to the "U" in the next week or two. I can't imagine the staff taking a guy who will take up a scholarship beyond next year unless they can get a major impact player. It seems pretty clear they want three guys in the 2017 class.

Good luck to Buggs wherever he ends up.

I was looking at the grad transfer list earlier today, and it looks like the pickins are pretty slim. Wouldn't be surprised to see the scholarship go to Sharp for the 2016-2017 season.

Not a really a surprise that anybody transfers or is arrested on this team these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I assume you don't follow the program at all or just troll? As has been mentioned, folks half expected this a long time ago. He finished his degree and we would love to use his scholarship.. guessing this was mutual and Buggs liked his time here.

But hey, why work at your post when you can just fire a quick shot at the program...

On his "Scoops" Podcast, Doogie said there is a 90% chance that Buggs ends up at Memphis.

Go Gophers!!

On his "Scoops" Podcast, Doogie said there is a 90% chance that Buggs ends up at Memphis.

I think that would be awesome.

Who remembers that odd thing he would do following the ball when it was dead, as in rolling to the inbounded he was guarding. Still puzzels me what the ____ he was doing. You would have to see it, I can't really explain it.

Pitino is getting quite good at those WISHING YOU THE BEST IN THE FUTURE LETTERS. Enough already.

Pitino is getting quite good at those WISHING YOU THE BEST IN THE FUTURE LETTERS. Enough already.

Everyone is. Did you see Tom Izzo ranting about the transfers in college basketball? If not get your head out of the sand and realize that this is the lay of the land in college athletics(basketball) now.

Izzo also has had lots of transfers out as well some for off the court issues(or breaking team rules) and some for no playing time like his 2 this year. I was going to say that Wisconsin seams to be the only team immune to it but even they had Riley Dearing transfer out mid season this past year.

Certainly possible, but that number is too high.

Would be really happy for Buggs if he ended up there. Believe id heard how much he loved Tubby and how tough it was when he got fired. If he still feels the same, hope he gets the chance to play for him again.

I am glad to see all of the positive replies to this news. Charles and his family are good people, and I believe that he loved his time at Minnesota and is very thankful for his experiences there.

I can still remember an even more raw Buggs walking into our practice the spring of his senior HS season. we were already playing games, and he had 1 offer at the time (Southern).

he worked out...dunking and making 3's and jumpers...and we are thinking "this is a college basketball player, what is going on?" he had just never played aau. his family was focused on church and school.

we had a very successful summer, and mid and high majors showed strong interest. Charles went to Hargrave to develop another year, and would eventually choose Minnesota.

while the on the court successes were not what many had hoped, I again believe that Charles loved his time at Minnesota, and that it was a great experience for him personally. I wish you all the best going forward, and hope the best for Charles as well.

take care Gopher fans, and thanks for the ride.
+10

Commercial Appeal: University of Memphis could be next stop for Minnesota transfer Charles Buggs

Having already landed one graduate transfer this offseason, the University of Memphis could be in position to add another soon in 6-foot-9, 230-pound Minnesota forward Charles Buggs.

Buggs, who was recruited to Minnesota by Memphis coach Tubby Smith, announced Tuesday that he plans to transfer and play immediately for another program next season as a graduate student.

Buggs wasn't a huge contributor statistically for the Gophers last season, averaging 5.9 points and 2.9 rebounds. But he did start 21 of Minnesota's 31 games in 2015-16 and ranked fifth on the team in minutes per game (24).

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...nnesota-transfer-Charles-Buggs-381523971.html

Go Gophers!!

Creighton a possible landing spot?

Don't know their scholarship situation, but I wonder if Creighton would be interested? The Jays are on their way back up, have a lot coming back, McDermott teams like to shoot the 3, which is what Buggsy likes to do best. Might be a fit for a role on a NCAA-caliber team?

best of luck to Buggs, too bad he couldn't have announced this earlier when that big man who committed Nebraska was still on the market

That's my only complaint. He could have done this a month earlier and the possibilities would have been better for him and the program.

Like most others, I wish him luck. As a grad transfer, he'll definitely catch on somewhere.

I think Buggs has some amazing natural ability. That said, he lacks basketball instincts and perhaps more importantly, self confidence in what he can do. He got noticeably down on himself on court if he would miss a shot of make a mistake and it would get into his head and affect his game. He definitely has the physical talent to transfer to a high D1 but I just think he'd be better off at a mid major where he could feel like he was one of the best players on the squad and could play with more confidence. He has always been a kid I rooted for because of the talent that is potentially there and his reputation as a good human being. I hope he has a great year where ever he goes.

I think Buggs has some amazing natural ability. That said, he lacks basketball instincts and perhaps more importantly, self confidence in what he can do. He got noticeably down on himself on court if he would miss a shot of make a mistake and it would get into his head and affect his game. He definitely has the physical talent to transfer to a high D1 but I just think he'd be better off at a mid major where he could feel like he was one of the best players on the squad and could play with more confidence. He has always been a kid I rooted for because of the talent that is potentially there and his reputation as a good human being. I hope he has a great year where ever he goes.

Well said. You pretty much summed up my own feelings on Buggs and did a better job of it than I would have

It'll be interesting to see if he starts and contributes where ever he lands. There've been many a time I've read on this forum that all he needed was a chance and continued minutes.

Really? I assume you don't follow the program at all or just troll? As has been mentioned, folks half expected this a long time ago. He finished his degree and we would love to use his scholarship.. guessing this was mutual and Buggs liked his time here.

But hey, why work at your post when you can just fire a quick shot at the program...

A Troll?? LOL. Ok Sunshine!

I remember reading an article from Amelia maybe last year with an antidote about Buggs not having filled out brackets for March madness. I think she also mentioned him having a very high GPA (3.8 or so) and my read on him was he is more of an intellectual than a jock. Would have been great to see him put it together on the court, but there's more to life and I have a lot of respect a kid with those qualities.

Sid claims Pitino and Buggs didn't get along. Per Sid:

• There was never any question forward Charles Buggs wasn’t coming back to the Gophers basketball team. He and coach Richard Pitino didn’t get along.

http://www.startribune.com/former-gophers-star-mychal-thompson-is-proud-nervous-father/381595851/

Go Gophers!!

I really dislike this type of comment made after the parties have parted ways. It was certainly widely speculated that Buggs might not be back next year, so the news isn’t earth-shattering. If the Strib thinks it is some big secret that Pitino and Buggs didn’t like each other and that Sid is privy to that information because he’s so close to the program, then either have the balls to report it when you get the information or respect those relationships and refrain from any comment.

Making the remark after the announcement and after both Buggs and Pitino have said all the right things smacks of kicking one or both of them as Buggs is headed out the door and raises questions about whether there were hard feelings or whether they lied when they issued the nicey-nice statements we have come to expect. Instead of letting it go, Sid can’t resist the “well, of course I knew this was going to happen all along because I’m such a well connected program insider with so many close personal friends” angle.

I haven’t read Sid everyday for quite a while. Has he turned on J Robinson yet?

How could a coach like a player like him? He would be incredibly frustrating.
Given some of the off the court issues the team has had over the last couple years, a team member that is a good student and a genuinely good person should be one of Pitino's favorite players.

Like sands through the hourglass, so too are the Gopher MBB transfers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Given some of the off the court issues the team has had over the last couple years, a team member that is a good student and a genuinely good person should be one of Pitino's favorite players.

Yawn.

Like sands through the hourglass, so too are the College MBB transfers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Fixed it for you. Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, Purdue, and Rutgers have had just as many or more transfers as the Gophers this offseason. This is just college basketball in 2016. Players from good and bad programs are transferring all the time.

I don't really believe that they didn't like each other. I can believe there were frustrations between them. I would assume Pitino was quite hard on him to try and pull out his natural talents. And it has been said repeatedly that Buggs didn't have a natural passion for the game. He was a good student and loyal team member. Wish him the best, but it was time for him to move on.

I don't really believe that they didn't like each other. I can believe there were frustrations between them. I would assume Pitino was quite hard on him to try and pull out his natural talents. And it has been said repeatedly that Buggs didn't have a natural passion for the game. He was a good student and loyal team member. Wish him the best, but it was time for him to move on.

Agreed, three years an awfully longtime to stay somewhere for a coach you don't like

best of luck to chuck. seems like a good dude.

it will be fun to see what pitino can do with all of his guys now.

Top Bottom