Charles Buggs to transfer

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Best of luck to Charles. Here's a kid Gopher fans can be proud of. Hope he finds his niche somewhere for his 5th year, and contributes.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agreed. Best of luck to Buggs. Curious how expecting of this Pitino was and what his plans may be for that scholarship.

Need a shooter in the worst way IMO, hope that can potentially grab someone to help right away.

Otherwise only high profile transfers I know of are Malik Newman from Mississippi State and the Kentucky kid who would both need to sit a year and probably wouldn't come here regardless.

Fingers crossed.

Shooter or a big man depending on what happens with Lynch. I'd prefer a shooter as bare minimum Konate can protect the paint and rebound at a decent leave hopefully, but a shooter makes life easier for everyone spreading the floor. Assuming they can be an average defender.

And my last time destroying this thread.

Wonder if Tubby would consider taking him back at Memphis?

From a reddit.com thread talking about available transfers:

Just my opinions here, the rankings are a rough order until they pick a school.
Derryck Thornton, 6'2 PG, Duke (3)
Malik Newman, 6'4 SG, Mississippi St (3)
Chris Perry, 6'8 F/C, South Florida (1)
Charles Matthews, 6'6 SF, Kentucky (2)
Paris Bass, 6'7 F, Detroit (2)
Marcus Lee, 6'10 F/C, Kentucky (1)
Brekkott Chatman, 6'8 PF, Utah (2)
Kameron Chatman 6'7 F, Michigan (2)
Derrick Bruce 6'3 PG, Oregon St (3)
Elliott Pitts, 6'5 SG, Arizona (1)
Jakeenan Gant, 6'8 PF, Missouri (2)
Namon Wright, 6'5 SG, Missouri (2)
Brandone Francis-Ramirez, 6'5 G/F, Florida (3)
Javon Bess, 6'5 G/F, Michigan St (2)
Austin Grandstaff, 6'5 SG, Oklahoma (2)
Others
Joe Burton, 6'6 SF, Oklahoma St (2)
Wes Clark, 6'0 PG, Missouri (1)
Tavrion Dawson, 6'8 PF, Cal St Northridge (3)
Kevin Dorsey, 6'1 PG, Minnesota (3)
Michael Gilmore, 6'10 PF, VCU (2)
Paul Jackson, 6'1 PG, Eastern Kentucky (3)
Malik Marquetti, 6'6 G/F, USC (2)

From a reddit.com thread talking about available transfers: Just my opinions here, the rankings are a rough order until they pick a school. Derryck Thornton, 6'2 PG, Duke (3) Malik Newman, 6'4 SG, Mississippi St (3) Chris Perry, 6'8 F/C, South Florida (1) Charles Matthews, 6'6 SF, Kentucky (2) Paris Bass, 6'7 F, Detroit (2) Marcus Lee, 6'10 F/C, Kentucky (1) Brekkott Chatman, 6'8 PF, Utah (2) Kameron Chatman 6'7 F, Michigan (2) Derrick Bruce 6'3 PG, Oregon St (3) Elliott Pitts, 6'5 SG, Arizona (1) Jakeenan Gant, 6'8 PF, Missouri (2) Namon Wright, 6'5 SG, Missouri (2) Brandone Francis-Ramirez, 6'5 G/F, Florida (3) Javon Bess, 6'5 G/F, Michigan St (2) Austin Grandstaff, 6'5 SG, Oklahoma (2) Others Joe Burton, 6'6 SF, Oklahoma St (2) Wes Clark, 6'0 PG, Missouri (1) Tavrion Dawson, 6'8 PF, Cal St Northridge (3) Kevin Dorsey, 6'1 PG, Minnesota (3) Michael Gilmore, 6'10 PF, VCU (2) Paul Jackson, 6'1 PG, Eastern Kentucky (3) Malik Marquetti, 6'6 G/F, USC (2)

Any idea how many can play right away vs sitting a year?

Not a really a surprise that anybody transfers or is arrested on this team these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per the U:

Buggs Earns Degree; Will Pursue Graduate Education Elsewhere

University of Minnesota forward Charles Buggs, who completed his degree requirements and graduated earlier this month, has chosen to continue his playing career elsewhere, head coach Richard Pitino announced. Buggs will have one year of eligibility remaining as he pursues a graduate degree.

“It has been a pleasure to coach Charles over the past three years and see his continued development and growth as a basketball player and a person,” Pitino said. “Charles has always represented the University with class and I am especially proud of him graduating. He has a bright future in basketball and life ahead of him, and will no doubt find success wherever he goes.”

"I want to take the time to thank everyone including our coaching staff, and especially Minnesota fans for their support and efforts throughout my time here,” said Buggs. “Being part of the University of Minnesota athletic program, I was able to not only make friends but formulate a new family that helped me grow as an athlete and a person. I will always support the University and Minnesota and hope to get the opportunity to give back to the school and the athletic program as much as it has given me."

The 6-9 native of Arlington, Texas played three years on the court in Maroon and Gold, after redshirting his freshman season.

Go Gophers!!

best of luck to Buggs, too bad he couldn't have announced this earlier when that big man who committed Nebraska was still on the market

Please add a grad transfer. Don't want to take up another scholarship in that uber-rich 2017 class.

The exodus starts

It does?! I am 100% confident that this is a mutual decision that both parties are content with. Congrats to Charles on getting his degree and best of luck to him in his graduate studies.

For the Gophers - this provides an opportunity to add another grad transfer, or to give his minutes to Fitzgerald/Hurt/Curry, etc. - opens up 12-14 minutes per game if desired.

Go Gophers!!

Congrats t ohim. I don't blame him for transferring.

Maybe getting away from the the sex trio and the poisoned atmosphere created by it is a good thing for him to start afresh elsewhere.

The culture propogated by Pitino's recruits and the lack of control & accountability rests squarely on RP.

It does?! I am 100% confident that this is a mutual decision that both parties are content with. Congrats to Charles on getting his degree and best of luck to him in his graduate studies.

For the Gophers - this provides an opportunity to add another grad transfer, or to give his minutes to Fitzgerald/Hurt/Curry, etc. - opens up 12-14 minutes per game if desired.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed I am sure he saw the writing on the wall. I'll always remember him for winning the Iowa game Pitino's first year

every game I hoped to see a Buggs' trifecta: a three, a dunk, and a block.

No surprise to see Buggs go as it looked like he might have a tough time getting on the court this year. Buggs has always seemed like a good guy I hope he is able to find a good fit and have a good season.

Agreed I am sure he saw the writing on the wall. I'll always remember him for winning the Iowa game Pitino's first year

He scored 13 points.

I love people's memory of that game, no doubt Charles had an out of body experience during that game of which he parlayed into some more minutes, a start the following game and a rabid following on this board, but we wouldn't have even sniffed winning that game had Austin Hollins not scored nearly 30 points.

He scored 13 points.

I love people's memory of that game, no doubt Charles had an out of body experience during that game of which he parlayed into some more minutes, a start the following game and a rabid following on this board, but we wouldn't have even sniffed winning that game had Austin Hollins not scored nearly 30 points.

We were down huge in the first half before Buggs started raining threes. Without him, we likely go into halftime down double digits and lose the game.

Not surprised, was borderline expecting this since last offseason. It came a little later than expected though. Hopefully we can find a grad transfer, otherwise I would have just preferred Buggs stay one more year. Have to keep the scholarship open for 2017.

Great to see Buggsy got his degree and is moving on to his next adventure. From a basketball standpoint, this is addition by subtraction imo and obviously had been discussed ad nauseum for some time now so it's no shocker.

Congratulations on graduating and being a positive representative of the U, Charles. I hope he finds a place he can succeed.

Agree with the other posters that getting anyone other than a grad transfer would be a bad idea. If an immediate contributor is available, go for it. Otherwise use as planned for 2017.

Congrats to Buggs!!

Maybe Jarvis will get the scholarship ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

best of luck to Buggs, too bad he couldn't have announced this earlier when that big man who committed Nebraska was still on the market

I'm sure all relevant parties knew the situation at that time. Whether he "announced" it publicly is irrelevant.

I don't want the big guy, glad he went to Nebraska, and I have my doubts how hard we pursued him at the end. Signing him would not have helped us in 2016 (a raw, freshman center isn't going to help immediately) and it would've put us down to 1 available scholarship for the loaded 2017 in state class, which includes other bigs like Sims and John who are a lot better prospects.

No need to be a goofball. Anyone who follows this team knew this transfer was a possibility given Charles' graduatiion/5th-year status.

I think "goofball" is about two orders of magnitude too polite of a descriptor for Former Goofer.

Buggs was a Gopher Hole a hall of famer before he ever stepped foot on the floor. Forever a superstar on GH.

I am glad to see all of the positive replies to this news. Charles and his family are good people, and I believe that he loved his time at Minnesota and is very thankful for his experiences there.

I can still remember an even more raw Buggs walking into our practice the spring of his senior HS season. we were already playing games, and he had 1 offer at the time (Southern).

he worked out...dunking and making 3's and jumpers...and we are thinking "this is a college basketball player, what is going on?" he had just never played aau. his family was focused on church and school.

we had a very successful summer, and mid and high majors showed strong interest. Charles went to Hargrave to develop another year, and would eventually choose Minnesota.

while the on the court successes were not what many had hoped, I again believe that Charles loved his time at Minnesota, and that it was a great experience for him personally. I wish you all the best going forward, and hope the best for Charles as well.

take care Gopher fans, and thanks for the ride.

Top Bottom