WBB: Gophers 2016-17 Season

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062316aaa.html

The Gopher Sports announcement:

Palma Kaposi from Pécs, Hungary, has signed a Big Ten Tender of Financial Aid to join the University of Minnesota women’s basketball program. She will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2016-17 season.

“We are honored to welcome Palma Kaposi to the Golden Gopher family,” head coach Marlene Stollings said. “She has extensive national team experience and comes from a system very similar to how we play. Palma is versatile and can play both inside and outside at the power forward position. This is an exciting addition to our program.”

A 6-foot-1 forward, Kaposi has been a member of the Hungarian National Team since 2012. She played for Team Hungary at the 2012 U16 European Championship, the 2014 U18 European Championship and the 2015 U20 European Championship. Kaposi’s free throws late in the game helped seal the Division B title for Hungary at the 2014 U18 Championship

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062316aaa.html

The Gopher Sports announcement:

Palma Kaposi from Pécs, Hungary, has signed a Big Ten Tender of Financial Aid to join the University of Minnesota women’s basketball program. She will have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2016-17 season.

“We are honored to welcome Palma Kaposi to the Golden Gopher family,” head coach Marlene Stollings said. “She has extensive national team experience and comes from a system very similar to how we play. Palma is versatile and can play both inside and outside at the power forward position. This is an exciting addition to our program.”

A 6-foot-1 forward, Kaposi has been a member of the Hungarian National Team since 2012. She played for Team Hungary at the 2012 U16 European Championship, the 2014 U18 European Championship and the 2015 U20 European Championship. Kaposi’s free throws late in the game helped seal the Division B title for Hungary at the 2014 U18 Championship

Good news.

Looking at the PEAC-Pecs roster, I see that, at least for a time, one of Kaposi's teammates was former Illini, Destiny Williams. Williams was the most highly touted of Jolette Law's highly touted first recruiting class. Williams, of course, fled Champaign after a year and finished her college career at Baylor.

Nice get for Stollings. Who will be her competition for starting at PF?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062716aaa.html

Gophers release non-conference schedule:

Nov. 12 HARVARD Williams Arena
Nov. 15 VCU Richmond, Va.
Nov. 18 GEORGETOWN Williams Arena
Nov. 20 SETON HALL Williams Arena
Nov. 24 Georgia (Junkanoo Jam) Bahamas
Nov. 25/26 USF/North Carolina (Junkanoo Jam) Bahamas
Nov. 30 FLORIDA STATE (ACC/Big Ten) Williams Arena
Dec. 3 DETROIT Williams Arena
Dec. 6 New Mexico Albuquerque, N.M.
Dec. 8 ARMY Williams Arena
Dec. 11 SOUTH CAROLINA Columbia, S.C.
Dec. 14 BELMONT Williams Arena
Dec. 22 KENT STATE Williams Arena

Non-conference opponents list by last season's RPI.

4 South Carolina 33-2
13 Florida State 25-8
20 South Florida 24-10 (or North Carolina)
45 Georgia 21-10
47 Seton Hall 23-9
60 Army 28-3
80 VCU 23-10
82 Belmont 22-9
102 Harvard 14-14
110 Georgetown 16-14
151 North Carolina 14-18
160 Detroit 14-15
172 New Mexico 17-15 (the loss that likely kept the Gophers out of the NCAA tournament)
318 Kent State 5-23

Much better than last year in regards to RPI.

That's saying a mouthful. I'm going to spare myself the agony of checking but I believe this is three or four fewer 300-plus RPI opponents than last year. And wasn't there a 200 or two in there, too? (And I'm not sure it was that close, Ignatius. I suspect it was the meaningless wins that really kept 'em out.)

That's saying a mouthful. I'm going to spare myself the agony of checking but I believe this is three or four fewer 300-plus RPI opponents than last year. And wasn't there a 200 or two in there, too? (And I'm not sure it was that close, Ignatius. I suspect it was the meaningless wins that really kept 'em out.)

Love this non-conference schedule and will be going to Williams arena in November for the first time in years. Nice get @ PF and could be good complement to Fernstrom.

I went to a couple of games last year. My schedule might allow a few more this year.

I hope the men also open on November 12. I enjoyed the doubleheader last year.

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...a-new-career-high-against-the-lynx/385035711/

Amelia Rayno catches up with Amanda Zahui following Amanda's best WNBA performance against the Lynx.

You played a big role in those last six minutes of regulation to charge back from 15 down. What was going through your mind? We always talk about not giving up and playing with a lot of heart. And that’s just what we had to do – never give up on any play. We were down by 15, we had to just keep fighting. Even when there was just a minute left on the clock, someone said ‘There is so much time left. We’ve got to get a stop and get a score.’ And that’s what we did. We followed our leaders and play with that intensity.

Do you feel like you’re starting to come into your own in this league? You had a new career high with 17 points tonight. Yes, I definitely feel like I’m coming back, slowly but surely. I wish it would go faster, but coach has confidence in me and he respects the process, so I’ve got to respect it and just let it come to me.

I saw Carly Wagner and some of the current Gophers in the stands. Did coach [Marlene] Stollings make it too? Yes. I met them today. I went over to speak at the youth camp and I had lunch with them. They said they would be here

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062916aaa.html

It's fun to see Karley versus the tire. Here's Gopher Sports: Introducing Whitney Tinjum:

GS: The team has been going through strength and conditioning workouts. Has the program here been different from strength and conditioning at your past schools?
WT: It’s very different, and it’s more fun. I usually don’t really like lifting and conditioning, but it’s actually been kind of neat. Coach Ralph (Petrella) is our strength and conditioning coach and he mixes it up. Every single day is something different. It kind of keeps us on our toes. I really enjoy it. I’m getting stronger.

GS: In addition to coming home, you do have that additional connection in Bry.
WT: She’s been showing me the ropes here and helping me meet people. Not only that, we’ve played together. Even scrimmaging here in the preseason, we’ve got that connection. We’re clicking. I played with Jo Hedstrom in AAU as well since fifth grade, so a lot of these girls I know or have played against. It’s neat

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/070616aaa.html

Introducing Jasmine Brunson:

GS: Growing up in New York, did you play a lot of outdoor basketball on park courts?
JB: I grew up playing on park courts against boys. They were physical. I had to find ways to stay on the court because if you lose they kick you off. I was already the only girl playing with them, so they want to kick you off. That’s how I grew up.

GS: Other than your defense, what would you say are the strengths of your game?
JB: I’m just a scorer. I truly believe that. I find different ways to score the ball. I think one of the most exciting parts of the game is scoring. I love scoring.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/071116aaa.html

When the Gophers visit South Carolina this season, they will have the added task of defeating a team with a newly named "Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics". Yes, Melanie Balcomb, former Vanderbilt HC, will deal the data in a non-coaching position.

South Carolina women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley announced today that veteran coach Melanie Balcomb will join the Gamecocks’ staff as director of coaching offensive analytics for the 2016-17 season. The addition of Balcomb, who brings 22 years of head coaching experience, including 13 in the SEC, will assist the staff in developing strategies for growing the game of women’s basketball and providing analytical data pertaining to on-court performance.

“Someone with Melanie’s experience and success is an asset to the game of women’s basketball, and this is a great opportunity for our program to benefit from her point of view,” Staley said. “I have and will always treasure the close-knit staff that we have, most of whom have been here from the beginning, but there is always room to grow professionally. Our staff looks forward to Melanie sharing her insights.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/072116aaa.html

Introducing Gadiva Hubbard:

GS: What have you liked about practice and strength and conditioning so far?
GH: I really like that they’re different. On Friday we have “away game challenges.” They’re different—like tire flips and going outside and getting on the turf.

GS: What are some things you’ve already learned about your teammates?
GH: My roommates, the other three freshmen—gotta love ’em. We’re already close. I can tell during the season it’s going to be great. We’re already close as a team.

GS: What would you say are the biggest strengths of your game?
GH: I’d say getting my shot off and getting open. I think those are my two biggest strengths.

This will be a fun year. If the transfers and frosh jell, and we improve our defense, we've a shot to be a top 25 team.

They make the "dance" last year had B stayed.

They go on a legit run in the dance if she stayed. That interior defense was atrocious last year, even with out her, with the talent that remained there was no excuse for missing the NCAA's

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/072616aaa.html

Gopher Sports: Introducing Taiye Bello

GS: Out of the variety of strength and conditioning challenges the team has done, is there one you’ve liked the best?
TB: I would say the most interesting, fun and also challenging strength and conditioning thing we’ve done is we went to the TCF Bank Stadium football field and had to run across the field. The interns and the other coaches would be throwing things (like tennis balls) toward us, and if it hits you, you “die.” So we had to run as a team to the end zone. Whoever got hit “died” and the other people who made it had to go back and get the “dead” and carry everybody back to the end zone. We just kept doing that back and forth. That was really fun.

GS: Being a twin, sometimes people think you’re the same and do everything together. Can you tell us a few differences between you and Kehinde?
TB: That’s a good question. I don’t always reflect on this that much. Sometimes we’re really different, sometimes we’re really similar. Sometimes I might be more quiet, sometimes she’ll be more outgoing, or vice versa. Honestly, I feel like we switch personalities and traits sometimes. It’s kind of weird.

Top Bottom