WBB: Gophers 2016-17 Season

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/053116aaa.html

Stollings talks WNBA, Gophers' Summer Outlook. And mentions the Gopher will play at South Carolina.

GS: Now that you’ve had a couple months since the end of the collegiate season, what are some things you would like the returners to work on over the summer?

MS: I love the spring because it gives you time to spend more time on 1-on-1 improvements. I let my assistants run a lot of that and I get to sit back and watch a little bit. Our goal is always to have them leave us with an idea of two or three things we want them to really focus on at a high level individually. That’s what we utilize the spring for. They all left us knowing what that is. They all wrote out their goals for not just the spring, but the summer.

It’s going to be a very different looking team next year in terms of what we’re bringing in. It’s turning more toward the tide of having the style of players we’re looking for. We kind of look of look at this is our first true recruiting class, where we’ve been here and gotten some roots here. We’ve been able to establish an identity here. We look at this class as our first true full arsenal of Gopher recruits since our arrival. It’s exciting for us to have them here over the summer. I think you’re going to see them make great strides in having coaching over the summer and strength and conditioning over the summer.

GS: What are you already excited about for next season?

MS: I’m excited for our non-conference schedule, which obviously hasn’t been released yet, but we have a very competitive non-conference schedule, the toughest one we’ve had since we arrived. We’re bringing in multiple teams that played in the NCAA Tournament. We go to the Bahamas and we’ll open with an SEC opponent. The ACC/Big Ten Challenge game will be at home this year. The past two years it’s been on the road. We go to South Carolina. So it’s a competitive schedule. It will certainly test us early and often. I think the fans will enjoy the fact that that part of our program is being enhanced. We want it to be tougher and tougher as we go. So that part’s exciting, the schedule itself.

And the fact that we’re going to have seven players that are somewhat new faces. A couple of them have been here. When you look at Bry Fernstrom who came in mid-year, you look at Kenisha Bell who had to sit out a year, they’re familiar with what we want to do. Then we’ve got the four true freshmen, and we added Whitney Tinjum, a fifth-year transfer. So, seven new faces altogether that our fans will get to watch for the first time. We’re talking about some players that are extremely talented both on and off the court. We’re excited to bring another Minnesotan back home in Whitney, to play with a former teammate of hers, Bry. I think those pieces are falling together for us. We’re certainly not exactly where we want to be big picture, but we’re heading in the direction that we want to make this program a top-25, nationally known program.

Glad to hear the non-conference schedule will be more difficult. I am tired of waiting until the Big season for a competitive game and this past years schedule hurt our chances for making it to the dance. I hope Fernstrom can step up and provide us a legitimate post presence.

Glad to hear the non-conference schedule will be more difficult. I am tired of waiting until the Big season for a competitive game and this past years schedule hurt our chances for making it to the dance. I hope Fernstrom can step up and provide us a legitimate post presence.

Agree...and Fernstrom brings a toughness we didn't have in the post.

I'm getting tired of Stollings' "we'll finally be able to play the style I want to" narrative. I get that she inherited a lot of players but, especially when she juxtaposes that comment with the graduation of three (or two-ish) WNBA-caliber stars, it always seems to me that the subtext is that the reason the Gophers didn't do better these last two years was Mullaney and Bailey, the two players who are gone and who were not WNBA-caliber. I'm intrigued to see how she thinks next year's team will be an upgrade over this year's. And I know the coaches have their sites set on two exciting possibilities for 2017 and 2018, but I'm also concerned that the 2017 recruiting class is currently zero. Am I just an off-season crank?

I'm getting tired of Stollings' "we'll finally be able to play the style I want to" narrative. I get that she inherited a lot of players but, especially when she juxtaposes that comment with the graduation of three (or two-ish) WNBA-caliber stars, it always seems to me that the subtext is that the reason the Gophers didn't do better these last two years was Mullaney and Bailey, the two players who are gone and who were not WNBA-caliber. I'm intrigued to see how she thinks next year's team will be an upgrade over this year's. And I know the coaches have their sites set on two exciting possibilities for 2017 and 2018, but I'm also concerned that the 2017 recruiting class is currently zero. Am I just an off-season crank?

You are not an off-season crank. Generally consider myself open-minded to giving coaches a chance, but my gut tells me Stollings is going to be a bust. We've seen the best she has to offer. Two years with 3 WNBA players on her roster (including 2 high 1st-round picks) and maybe a 4th in the making (Wagner) and the best she can do is 1 NCAA appearance with 0 NCAA wins? I like Pitino's odds of being here longer than Stollings, and that's saying something.

When matador/Ole' Ole' Ole' defense is your calling card, just not a formula for a program wanting staying power.

It's possible, and in some cases, probable, that the best season, both college and pro, that Kelley, Zahui, and Banham will have, was the one year they played for Stollings. And they were spectacular seasons indeed. I'm not sure much more could've been wrung from Bailey. I will say that the notorious "senioritis" has not afflicted Stollings' teams thus far.

It's possible, and in some cases, probable, that the best season, both college and pro, that Kelley, Zahui, and Banham will have, was the one year they played for Stollings. And they were spectacular seasons indeed. I'm not sure much more could've been wrung from Bailey. I will say that the notorious "senioritis" has not afflicted Stollings' teams thus far.

Respectfully, is it more important to have spectacular individual seasons by one or two of your players, or for the team to have a spectacular season? Call me crazy, I'll take the team success, and it is possible to have both. Certainly in these first two seasons, Banham, ZB, and Kelley had enough help around them to produce more than 0 NCAA wins. That falls on the coach(ing staff).

Respectfully, is it more important to have spectacular individual seasons by one or two of your players, or for the team to have a spectacular season? Call me crazy, I'll take the team success, and it is possible to have both. Certainly in these first two seasons, Banham, ZB, and Kelley had enough help around them to produce more than 0 NCAA wins. That falls on the coach(ing staff).

To be fair, it's not like she had all 3 at once. If Rachel doesn't get hurt or if ZB hadn't left, we might have had a decent tourney run. Two really bad "breaks" which gives Stollings a little slack, IMO. As much as I liked Kelley, she was quite inconsistent and somewhat of a turn-over machine.

I do, however, share your dismay at her idea of playing defense. Hopefully, she's flexible enough to start emphasizing that. I do think Fernstrom will make a big difference inside. Now, if she only will get the perimeter defenders to take more than one step and raise their hands when playing defense.

I think we see better defense with the players she has on board for next year. You can't teach quickness. If you have good quickness you can make a mistake on defense and catch-up.The Gophers were woefully slow on defense last year; thus the 2-3 matchup zone.

http://athletics.augsburg.edu/news/2016/6/1/wbb060116.aspx

Former Gopher, Jackie Voigt, joins former Gopher assistant Ted Riverso's Augsburg staff.

Former University of Minnesota women's basketball player Jackie Voigt has joined the Augsburg College women's basketball coaching staff as an assistant coach, head coach Ted Riverso has announced.

Voigt played for Riverso from 2008 to 2012, when he served as an assistant coach for the Golden Gophers. For the past three seasons, Voigt has been on the University of North Dakota women's basketball staff, the past two years as an assistant coach and her first year as the team's director of basketball operations.

I think Marlene is dead on when she says they will have better defense this season. Don't get me wrong, I have loved watching Zahui, Kelley and Banham have the seasons they have had the last two seasons but you gotta look at why the gophers played the 2-3 zone like they did. The gophers did not have great 1-1 defenders. the backcourt was Mullaney and Bailey who I love but they were not defensive stoppers. This year we will have Bell and two freshman in Brunson and Hubbard who are shorter yet faster guards who are known for defense. Bell, Hubbard and Wagner is my guess for who will be the starting guards next year. I see Bell and Hubbard being able to put a lot of pressure on guards from the other team. Plus Wagner is fast enough and smart enough to be able to stick with other bigger guards in the conference. I don't know how the post players will look differently during the non-conference season, I see Fermstrom begin a huge upgrade at Center and being able to hold her own vs. the other post players in conference. I see the scoring once again falling mainly onto the guards (Bell, Hubbard, and Wagner) but at least I am more confident that the posts wont be a liability and at the very least can rebound and defend to give the guards a chance to outscore the opponents.

Lastly, I don't think its wrong for Marlene to say that she getting closer to her style of kids. It's no secret that while she did inherent a great deal of talent, she really didn't play her style of ball due to working the system around the amazing talent of Zahui/Kelley her first season and then Banham/Wagner second season. Marlene's style is more full court press with a lot of pressure and causing turnovers and she hasn't had the players to fully implement that. Some people are not happy with her defense last two seasons and I agree but I at least at willing to give her chance due to her bringing not one or two but FOUR Minnesota kids back home and doing more in the last two seasons that Borton could do in her last 6 or 7 seasons.

I think we see better defense with the players she has on board for next year. You can't teach quickness. If you have good quickness you can make a mistake on defense and catch-up.The Gophers were woefully slow on defense last year; thus the 2-3 matchup zone.
ss.
We were quick enough to go up and down the court when we had the ball, but the reason for the crappy defense was lack of quickness? I'm not talking about a pressing man to man. I'm talking about at least moving toward the shooter with upraised hand. Way too many times a player would virtually stand and watch the shooter. That's a mind-set, not lack of quickness.

The gophers did not have great 1-1 defenders. the backcourt was Mullaney and Bailey who I love but they were not defensive stoppers. This year we will have Bell and two freshman in Brunson and Hubbard who are shorter yet faster guards who are known for defense.

I'm with you on that. I'm interested where Starr fits. (Allina had some strong moments last season.) And it would be nice to see Carlie take the next step.

My criticism's of the 2-3 zone got boring by early last December so I'm looking forward to a new season and some fresh material.

Welcome to the board bball_craz_26.

Thank you! I agree on Starr! I liked some of her moments at the PF/Forward spot last year. I feel like she was kind of hesitant due to coming in middle of the season. I expect more of an attacking mentality from Starr this year and frankly I wouldn't mind seeing her at the SF spot and moving Carlie to the SG spot due to Starr having pretty decent passing and ball handling skills. I am also intrigued yet worried about Wagner. I know that no one human can possibly make up for what Banham did for the gophers last year on the offensive side of the ball but frankly I think Carlie is going to have to come close for the gophers to be successful. She averaged 19 ppg on spotty shooting. if she can finish more regularly and play like its the last 2 minutes of the game during the whole game (also known at Wagner clutch time IMO), she could average what Rachel did last year.

I'm with you on that. I'm interested where Starr fits. (Allina had some strong moments last season.) And it would be nice to see Carlie take the next step.

My criticism's of the 2-3 zone got boring by early last December so I'm looking forward to a new season and some fresh material.

Welcome to the board bball_craz_26.

ss.
We were quick enough to go up and down the court when we had the ball, but the reason for the crappy defense was lack of quickness? I'm not talking about a pressing man to man. I'm talking about at least moving toward the shooter with upraised hand. Way too many times a player would virtually stand and watch the shooter. That's a mind-set, not lack of quickness.

Running the court has nothing to do with quickness, especially lateral quickness. In football you have heard of being "quick" to the hole. Normally that is your first two steps. You need a Mulligan on the definition of speed versus quickness.

I am also intrigued yet worried about Wagner. I know that no one human can possibly make up for what Banham did for the gophers last year on the offensive side of the ball but frankly I think Carlie is going to have to come close for the gophers to be successful. She averaged 19 ppg on spotty shooting. if she can finish more regularly and play like its the last 2 minutes of the game during the whole game (also known at Wagner clutch time IMO), she could average what Rachel did last year.

Intriguing is the correct word for Carlie heading into summer. As a Freshman, Carlie averaged 13.8 points in B1G play. Last season, she boosted that to 19.9/game. Her shooting percentages improved from the field (.368 to .375), behind the arc (.344 to .366) and from the line (.808 to .859). Wagner played 678 B1G minutes last season compared to 667 her freshman year. She's not far away from being one of the top offensive players in the B1G. And it's not as if teams were only concerned about stopping Rachel-but that's another discussion.

Finishing off the drive was a big addition to her arsenal last season and there's still plenty of room for improvement in that area. Last season, a major concern was 47 assists compared to 52 turnovers (her freshman season she had a more respectable 55 assists and 28 turnovers). Whether Carlie can be pressed into use as a point guard is an open question; but she'll get her chance to provide the offense.

Running the court has nothing to do with quickness, especially lateral quickness. In football you have heard of being "quick" to the hole. Normally that is your first two steps. You need a Mulligan on the definition of speed versus quickness.

What a crock of b.s. I'm talking mindset, but you keep lecturing me because you're such a basketball savant.

With summer session just around the corner, it's time for a Carlie Classic-the OT game winner over the Buckeyes' Kelsey Mitchell: (yes, with a big assist to Jessie Edwards).

Wow. So if looking at the interview with marlene and games we know...gophers will have possibly 2 ACC teams (North Carolina and Florida St), 3 SEC teams (Georgia, South Carolina and the unknown one marlene mentioned to start the season. My guess is it will be Vanderbilt due to Rebekah Dahlman now being a senior and never have playing back in her home state as of yet) Plus knowing that Kent St will be in the Barn and Gophers will travel to New Mexico to complete the home/home series started last season, it looks like both a daunting schedule yet also a schedule filled with opportunity. Go into big ten season with only South Carolina and maybe Florida St as their losses and their SSO and Record will be impressive come NCAA time.

http://junkanoojam.com/brackets/

Junkanoo Jam Brackets (November 24-26): In the Lucaya division the Gophers open with Georgia. Then Minnesota plays either North Carolina or South Flordia.

This is what we got for sure so far in terms of schedule:

Gopher 2016-2017 Non-Conference Schedule:
-Junkanoo Jam Holiday Tournament-November 24th- AT Georgia
-Junkanoo Jam Holiday Tournament-November 25th- AT North Carolina/South Florida
-ACC/B1G Challenge-November 30th- HOME vs Florida State

Dates Unknown:
- @ South Carolina
- @ New Mexico
- Kent State

Wow. So if looking at the interview with marlene and games we know...gophers will have possibly 2 ACC teams (North Carolina and Florida St), 3 SEC teams (Georgia, South Carolina and the unknown one marlene mentioned to start the season. My guess is it will be Vanderbilt due to Rebekah Dahlman now being a senior and never have playing back in her home state as of yet) Plus knowing that Kent St will be in the Barn and Gophers will travel to New Mexico to complete the home/home series started last season, it looks like both a daunting schedule yet also a schedule filled with opportunity. Go into big ten season with only South Carolina and maybe Florida St as their losses and their SSO and Record will be impressive come NCAA time.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062016aaa.html

Gopher's conference opponents: the home and home games are top end.

Minnesota’s home-and-home matchups will be against Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan State.

Home-only opponents: Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers and Wisconsin.

Road-only opponents: Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think one of the connections could be Robyn Parks who played at VCU. She is on the PEAC roster.

Top Bottom