Gopher Volleyball 2016

It is always great to beat the skunks. Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as the ladies brought it against the Badgers a few days back, they failed to do so against Michigan State tonight. Felt like they spent more time battling themselves than the Spartans and ultimately fell in five sets. Very disappointing performance, especially in sets two and three.

As much as the ladies brought it against the Badgers a few days back, they failed to do so against Michigan State tonight. Felt like they spent more time battling themselves than the Spartans and ultimately fell in five sets. Very disappointing performance on a number of fronts, most notably passing.

The first set was a continuation of the Badger effort with the Gophers taking it 25-12. After that, the Spartans (and Gopher passing) did a good job of keeping the ball from Seliger-Swenson. Although, even when Minnesota was in system, Michigan State did a good job reading the set. The Gopher offense looked unusually predictable tonight leading to a good MSU blocking effort. Comparatively, Minnesota's block was non-existent especially on the outside hitters.

Rosado added some backbone to the defense late in the match with some terrific digs but it wasn't enough. To sum up, in the fifth set the score was tied at 6-6 before Sparty went on a 5-0 run. The Gopher's rallied within one several times but eventually fell 15-13.

The first set was a continuation of the Badger effort with the Gophers taking it 25-12. After that, the Spartans (and Gopher passing) did a good job of keeping the ball from Seliger-Swenson. Although, even when Minnesota was in system, Michigan State did a good job reading the set. The Gopher offense looked unusually predictable tonight leading to a good MSU blocking effort. Comparatively, Minnesota's block was non-existent especially on the outside hitters.

Rosado added some backbone to the defense late in the match with some terrific digs but it wasn't enough. To sum up, in the fifth set the score was tied at 6-6 before Sparty went on a 5-0 run. The Gopher's rallied within one several times but eventually fell 15-13.

The fifth set really felt like a microcosm for the entire match. The predictable attack and lack of ball-handling caused it to go from 6-6 to 11-6 in a heartbeat. They tried to come back, but by then, it was too late.

Gophers play another poor match but come back late to beat Iowa 3-2.

Match was televised and the announcers said Iowa hasn't beaten Minnesota in volleyball since 1995 (40 straight wins for Gophers). That's a crazy number. Iowa must have been historically bad in volleyball.

Gophers play another poor match but come back late to beat Iowa 3-2.

Match was televised and the announcers said Iowa hasn't beaten Minnesota in volleyball since 1995 (40 straight wins for Gophers). That's a crazy number. Iowa must have been historically bad in volleyball.

Iowa has been terrible until this season. I only got to watch the first set and a half before heading off to hockey; but the once again the Gophers had trouble controlling the outside hitters. I'll watch the rest of the match as a warm-up to Nebraska. (Last night, the Huskers swept the Badgers in Lincoln). The next three matches (Nebraska, and in the Pav versus Rutgers and Penn State) will go a long way in determining if the Gophers can repeat as B1G champs.

Saturday night Penn State suffered their first B1G loss at Michigan 3-2. In other interesting scores around the B1G: Ohio State swept Michigan State in Columbus, Wisconsin bounced back from their loss in Lincoln by sweeping Iowa and visiting Purdue knocked off Illinois in five sets.

Minnesota lost in five sets at Lincoln. In his post-game presser John Cook said he told his team that the back row would determine the match, I think he was right.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/nu-vo...cle_b37c77d2-9972-11e6-acdd-af3e20b785e6.html

Two of the top three college volleyball teams in the country converged on the Bob Devaney Sports Center Sunday afternoon. No.1 Nebraska hosted No. 3 Minnesota and earned a five-set win (24-26, 25-18, 26-24, 22-25, 15-8).

“A classic final four-type atmosphere, final four-type match,” coach John Cook said. “Two great teams just battling point by point.”...

...Wong-Orantes also set a school record for most digs in a match, with 35.

“I honestly didn’t even know; I was so zoned into the game and just getting my teammates good digs,” Wong-Orantes said.

Warming up for Penn State, Minnesota swept Rutgers in the Pav 17, 14, 15. Hugh was up roaming the sidelines for much of the match (something he hasn't done much the last two seasons). He seemed intent on convincing his players this should be a short night. Hugh did send Eggert and McLean into to the match late and both contributed kills. Seliger-Swenson struck 4 service aces (three in the first set). Rosado threw in a couple of aces off a cool drop serve. Tomorrow will be a bit more hectic.

Looking for 4 tickets to the home game vs. Wisconsin on November 26th.

Damn! that was fun. A 17, 20, 18 sweep of Penn State. The spirited, and long,rally for the 15th point of the second featured a couple of sensational Rosado pancake saves and a Hart termination that sent the crowd into a frenzy. It was just as fun on the replay when I got home.

I took my daughter to the volleyball match tonight - first time for either of us. It was a blast. Sold out crowd, rocking the entire night and the ladies played great.

Fun night indeed.

Go Gophers!!

I really enjoyed some of the long rally but Rosado getting her hand under that dig was special. #22 from PSU was tough but great sweep for Godly.

I took my daughter to the volleyball match tonight - first time for either of us. It was a blast. Sold out crowd, rocking the entire night and the ladies played great.

Fun night indeed.

Go Gophers!!

I've been there in the past. Great venue to take your daughter. Glad you both had fun!

Molly Lohman - Defensive Player of the Week. This was her first honor of her career.

Great all-around weekend for Molly, she hit an amazing .773 (17 kills in 22 swings, with no errors, 2.83 kps), and had 11 blocks (1.83 bps).

Video of the long, frenzied, second set rally during Penn State/ Minnesota match. It's with music instead of crowd noise; but, as plus it's from the end camera.

Video of the long, frenzied, second set rally during Penn State/ Minnesota match. It's with music instead of crowd noise; but, as plus it's from the end camera.

Thx for posting this replay. It was fun to see it again.

In front of another nice crowd at the PAV, Minnesota swept the Hoosiers, 21, 24, 21. After a fairly normal first set (Indiana staged a late comeback), sets two and three featured an aggressive Indiana attack (both serve and front line). Fortunately, Indiana was error prone. In the second set, the Hoosiers led big for most of the set before Minnesota tied it at 23 and then secured the win. The third was a minor variation on the second. Indiana took a smaller lead and were caught earlier by the Gophers.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Minnesota took care of business in College Park 16, 19, 22. The Terp's Gia Millana with 17 kills and 10 errors was an unavoidable story. The Gophers controlled the first two sets; but fell behind in set three 11-8 before rallying for the win. Wilhite had 13 kills hit .355 and Hart chipped in 8 kills hitting .438.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...olleyball-division-i-committee-reveal-top-ten

A reminder:

INDIANAPOLIS — The Division I Women’s Volleyball Committee will reveal a top ten ranking on Wednesday, November 9 at 6 p.m. ET during the Alabama vs. Auburn match on ESPNU.

The ranking is based on the criteria used to select and seed the 64 teams for the Division I Volleyball Championship and include strength of schedule, Rating Percentage Index, head-to-head competition, results versus common opponents, significant wins and losses, and locations of contests. Additionally, input is provided by the regional advisory committees for consideration by the Division I Women’s Volleyball Committee.

Minnesota took care of business in College Park 16, 19, 22. The Terp's Gia Millana with 17 kills and 10 errors was an unavoidable story. The Gophers controlled the first two sets; but fell behind in set three 11-8 before rallying for the win. Wilhite had 13 kills hit .355 and Hart chipped in 8 kills hitting .438.

I fully expect us to win the next 4 before the last dicey weekend with Wisconsin and Nebraska.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...olleyball-division-i-committee-reveal-top-ten

A reminder:

INDIANAPOLIS — The Division I Women’s Volleyball Committee will reveal a top ten ranking on Wednesday, November 9 at 6 p.m. ET during the Alabama vs. Auburn match on ESPNU.

The ranking is based on the criteria used to select and seed the 64 teams for the Division I Volleyball Championship and include strength of schedule, Rating Percentage Index, head-to-head competition, results versus common opponents, significant wins and losses, and locations of contests. Additionally, input is provided by the regional advisory committees for consideration by the Division I Women’s Volleyball Committee.

The top ten:

1. Nebraska
2. Minnesota
3. Wisconsin
4. Texas
5. San Diego
6. Kansas
7. Stanford
8. North Carolina
9. Florida
10. Washington

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/110916aaa.html

Gophers sign six:

University of Minnesota volleyball head coach Hugh McCutcheon has announced his recruiting class, featuring six individuals set to join the 2017 Gopher volleyball team. Gopher Volleyball welcomes

Lauren Barnes (Naperville, Ill.),
Sydney Kleinman (Frisco, Texas),
Jasmyn Martin (Brooklyn Park, Minn.),
Sara Nielsen (Glen Ellyn, Ill.),
Stephanie Samedy (Clermont, Fla.)
Alice Zeimann (Christchurch, New Zealand) to the program.

Top Bottom