BTN format

And the pac12 network wishes it was the btn. Don't you have anything else to do besides sit around and find stuff you can be outraged by?

Not outraged, but the repeats are ridiculous along with the rhyme or reason why they're showing it. Today at 9:00 and 4:00 they're showing the Minnesota vs Illinois game of 2014 and calling it a "Illinois Classic" ? I laughted at that

Not outraged, but the repeats are ridiculous along with the rhyme or reason why they're showing it. Today at 9:00 and 4:00 they're showing the Minnesota vs Illinois game of 2014 and calling it a "Illinois Classic" ? I laughted at that
Well I am going to trust that the people running the btn to know what they are doing more than a cranky message board guy. Look Minnesota got a lot run this softball and baseball season. They are not a top 7 (top half) of the conference draw in the 2 big sports. So complaining about the number of games being rebroadcasted seems silly.

These threads are always hilarious. Every single fanbase in the conference complains about this stuff. The ones about game re-plays are the best. Most of this stuff ends up on Youtube these days anyway. I would urge a few of you to invest in a DVR so you can re-watch games at your leisure. I am just flabbergasted that anyone cares what is replayed on TV.

I guarantee that the people who do programming at the network give about 10 seconds of thought to it outside of live events. I seriously doubt that they give 2 craps about what their ratings are outside of live football games. They get the same fees from cable companies no matter who is watching. Ever paid attention to the ads? Most of them are for the conference itself or the member schools. Very few "out-of-house" ad buys for random products or companies. They are making money from subscription fees, and as long as they have live sports that certain fanbases can't live without (i.e. football and men's basketball) that revenue stream will always be there.

It's beyond laughable when people think that what games get re-played has any bearing on ratings or are even looked at to that extent in their programming decisions.

BTN might not love us, but ESPNU clearly does. They're showing our ultimate frisbee team right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These threads are always hilarious. Every single fanbase in the conference complains about this stuff. The ones about game re-plays are the best. Most of this stuff ends up on Youtube these days anyway. I would urge a few of you to invest in a DVR so you can re-watch games at your leisure. I am just flabbergasted that anyone cares what is replayed on TV.

I guarantee that the people who do programming at the network give about 10 seconds of thought to it outside of live events. I seriously doubt that they give 2 craps about what their ratings are outside of live football games. They get the same fees from cable companies no matter who is watching. Ever paid attention to the ads? Most of them are for the conference itself or the member schools. Very few "out-of-house" ad buys for random products or companies. They are making money from subscription fees, and as long as they have live sports that certain fanbases can't live without (i.e. football and men's basketball) that revenue stream will always be there.

It's beyond laughable when people think that what games get re-played has any bearing on ratings or are even looked at to that extent in their programming decisions.

This theory sounds a little like BTN execs say, "we are making enough money, no reason to try and make more." Sorry, not buying that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This theory sounds a little like BTN execs say, "we are making enough money, no reason to try and make more." Sorry, not buying that.

Are you saying that they would make more money showing Minnesota football replays? It's ****ing summer time go outside.

Are you saying that they would make more money showing Minnesota football replays? It's ****ing summer time go outside.

No, but Stoofin's saying he loves, loves, LOVES the BTN producers, and he thinks they are geniuses sent from the holy skies above (you have to admit, he has a strong point there). Look man, they make a strong profit. Why should we subscribers who pay for their profit demand decent programming? F all you all subscribers and B1G fans, gimme my money! - am I right or am I right, Spoogin?! Short-term profit is really all that ever should matter in this world, and those who make it by mediocre or poor treatment of others should be cheered strongly. I, for one, lub me some BTN producers and can't thank them enough for repeating the same Gopher game 27 times in a row over the course of 13 months. As long as they make themselves mega bucks on the back of my cable bill, I'm happy.

The difference in viewers between showing OSU/Michigan for the 99th time or MN/PSU is minimal. It has zero impact on revenue either way.

I think the showing of the same games over and over is a function of: 1) Rights fees, assuming they buy rights to the old games individually and not in bulk; 2) Sheer laziness and not investing much staff time or thought into the dog days scheduling.

The difference in viewers between showing OSU/Michigan for the 99th time or MN/PSU is minimal. It has zero impact on revenue either way.

I think the showing of the same games over and over is a function of: 1) Rights fees, assuming they buy rights to the old games individually and not in bulk; 2) Sheer laziness and not investing much staff time or thought into the dog days scheduling.

Probably the best explanation I've heard.

No, not my point at all. I would say just the opposite. I don't watch BTN anytime outside of Sept-Nov so I don't care what they show. I have also not said once I like their programming - no matter how many times cncmin says I do. I simply find the whole premise that BTN doesn't know what they are doing to maximize profits is silly.

No, but Stoofin's saying he loves, loves, LOVES the BTN producers, and he thinks they are geniuses sent from the holy skies above (you have to admit, he has a strong point there). Look man, they make a strong profit. Why should we subscribers who pay for their profit demand decent programming? F all you all subscribers and B1G fans, gimme my money! - am I right or am I right, Spoogin?! Short-term profit is really all that ever should matter in this world, and those who make it by mediocre or poor treatment of others should be cheered strongly. I, for one, lub me some BTN producers and can't thank them enough for repeating the same Gopher game 27 times in a row over the course of 13 months. As long as they make themselves mega bucks on the back of my cable bill, I'm happy.

Look dude. Your point is a moving target and I give up. I challenged your original statement that the BTN would get more viewers if they played a wider variety of games & your response has been to change your point, determine I love their programming, and to make yourself look like a tool. If you ever wonder why you don't have friends, you could read this thread for insight.

No, not my point at all. I would say just the opposite. I don't watch BTN anytime outside of Sept-Nov so I don't care what they show. I have also not said once I like their programming - no matter how many times cncmin says I do. I simply find the whole premise that BTN doesn't know what they are doing to maximize profits is silly.

Pretty much. (I stop after basketball season though) Howeda has good points too. BTN in the off season has a very tough job in programming. They have to try and appease all 14 schools and try and get enough eyes to watch outside Big Ten country so the cable systems, Dish, Direct and all the burgeoning "cut the cable" services can justify keeping BTN in their line-up. Better chance of that by showing more tOSU, Michigan, NE or Penn State games of the past than Indy, Purdue or Minnesota.

Wouldn't want that job myself.

You're not the brightest bulb in the box, are you? Since you still don't get it, Google the term "strawman" argument, then reread your replies in this thread. NO ONE is arguing the meme you are attacking, Sploogin' - everyone here understands very well that BTN knows how to make monetary profits.

This discussion comes up here in slightly different forms all the time. I think I have started a thread on the BTN topic at one point or another. I always love the people quick to jump to the BTN defense team and fall all over themselves as they crow about nobody wants to watch the Gophers so they are just fine with wall to wall Ohio State coverage. "We're not good enough" - it is the Minnesota fandom way.

Perhaps BTN makes more money with its current programming choices. That may even be true. But here is what is true for me... I used to be a regular BTN watcher. I loved the Rotel days, Friday night tailgate, etc. etc. As the years have passed I have noticed the same two things everyone else has:

1. The gradual evolution from BTN into "the Ohio State Network - now featuring Michigan too"
2. The head scratching choices for game reruns, and the absolute pounding into the ground of some games compared to others that never seem to appear.

The end result is I don't watch BTN now unless I am tuning in for a specific game. It has fallen off my radar as a "flip over and see what is on" choice. I guess if all you show is Ohio State material, eventually Ohio State fans will dominate your viewership, and this will convince you to show more Ohio State programming. One of the things I always loved about the B1G was the way money has always been distributed equally, and it kept "our" conference above the squabbles we have seen tear other conferences apart. I realize BTN isn't the B1G.

For those of you that seem to take joy in the programming offerings of The Ohio State Network, I won't argue. I'm sure the masses of Ohio State fans are tuning in regularly. I am not.

I do get a bit concerned when the uphill recruiting battle for my favorite Division 1 university is already a challenge due to an imbalance in facilities, fan bases, coaching pay, (take your pick) and then gets further thrown off balance by the fact BTN can put on a repeating Ohio State recruiting infomercial (that hard knocks style show they did last year). That show basically was my last straw as a viewer.

Its good to hear the baseball and softball teams were well represented this year. I also don't get the feeling Ohio State hockey gets more coverage than the Gophers. So I guess I am limiting these thoughts to the overall feel of BTN, its coverage of the bigger revenue sports, and its choices for game rerun material.

Well it's hard to argue with the
O$U coverage because they did win a national title 2 years ago. Once football was over I didn't see much of them basketball hockey or baseball wise......

You know, the Gophers really get jobbed. We had great softball and baseball seasons this year and the cover was minimal. We keep seeing the same old, same old football classics covering Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska ,etc. Now, in the last several weeks all of a sudden Purdue,Indiana ,and Illinois games keep coming up. Minnesota?, the Quick Lane Bowl has been on a couple of times in the last month. While I enjoy seeing Becky get blasted in the B1G Championship game two years ago, enough is enough. Wtf......
Hey asshat. Gophers are on right now.

If asshat is two words shouldn't ruppertflywheel be 3 words?

It's actually two.words as in the name Ruppert Flywheel, and in the engine part one word"flywheel" Ruppert Flywheel was a character name Groucho Marx used in one of his movies.i negated the spacing and lower case for the username format.

It's actually two.words as in the name Ruppert Flywheel, and in the engine part one word"flywheel" Ruppert Flywheel was a character name Groucho Marx used in one of his movies.i negated the spacing and lower case for the username format.

I see a reference to a character that Groucho Marx used named "Waldorf T. Flywheel", but I don't see a reference to "Ruppert Flywheel" anywhere.

I have dropped BTN. Will pick it up come football season. It is in package that is $10 a month. No point in off season.

I thought it meant grouchy old man who acts like a 5 year old with turrets whenever Wisconsin is mentioned and gives Gopher fans a bad name.

I thought it meant grouchy old man who acts like a 5 year old with turrets whenever Wisconsin is mentioned and gives Gopher fans a bad name.

Mentioning Wisconsin gives Gopher fans a bad name? Do you live in a cave?

I see a reference to a character that Groucho Marx used named "Waldorf T. Flywheel", but I don't see a reference to "Ruppert Flywheel" anywhere.

It was actually " Wolf J Flywheel from the movie " Coconuts" Another one was Rufus T. Firefly.
How I came up with Ruppert escapes me.

The way you react and the things you post when Wisconsin is mentioned give Minnesota fans a bad name.

Son, before you crown yourself judge, jury ,and hangman, I suggest you see some of the comments by Wisconsin fans about Minnesota. My comments are angelically mundane to what they post.

Son, before you crown yourself judge, jury ,and hangman, I suggest you see some of the comments by Wisconsin fans about Minnesota. My comments are angelically mundane to what they post.
Yeah I am sure the "child beating" comment you just made in another post is mundane. How would you know what Badger fans say. You probably go over there and provoke them. But keep using the "they do it too" excuse for spewing internet vomit.

Top Bottom