Tom Powers: New Gophers AD ready to report with a mop and bucket

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Powers:

So this week Coyle shows up with a mop and a bucket and goes to work. He’ll deal with an alleged Xanax ring involving the wrestling team, a men’s basketball coach who gets his best recruiting ideas by perusing the FBI’s most wanted list and a phalanx of boosters who are justifiably livid that Jerry Kill is now employed by Kansas State.

If Coyle can wrap all that up by Thursday, he can take a long weekend and enjoy some of our lovely lakes and wildlife. My biggest worry is that he may have difficulty reaching his office, what with all the NCAA enforcement and compliance tents set up outside the building. Plus, squad cars are clogging up the parking lot. So it could be a challenge.

Anyway, has it occurred to anyone else just what a great AD Joel Maturi was? In retrospect, he wasn’t appreciated enough while he was in office. Let’s hope Coyle can perform to similarly high standards. Things have been piling up. There’s a lot to be done.

We’ll probably be able to get a (mop) handle on the newcomer fairly quickly.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/28/new-gophers-ad-coyle-ready-to-report-with-a-mop-and-bucket/

Go Gophers!!

I don't read the PP - and this column is exhibit A why not. Powers is Souhan light - tries to be snarky, but just comes off as sophomoric.

Gotta love those that look at the Maturi/Mason days as the holy grail. Not sure why folks have such a hard time realizing that just because Maturi/Mason were better than Norwood/Brewster doesn't mean they were what we should strive for. It shows a total lack of comprehension and big picture thinking. Annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The times have changed so much in 10 years that there are no comparisons. The $$$ have gotten so unbelievable large as TV and Cable have made college football and basketball each an entertainment industry generating $billions. There is something more shocking than a college football coach making $10 million. That's the pure fact that someone like Saben or Myers when measured against any other entertainment mogul on a pure profit/loss generating basis is significantly underpaid.

How Coyle and the U of M deal with this will be very interesting. Mark this posting. In 5 years Claeys will be making north of $7 million or he will be gone. Either to assist somewhere else or to HC where he is paid what he is worth. The fine folks in Minnesota will have a delicious time coming to grips with the fact that Minnesota Football has an entertainment presence as large as Prince did. It will generate darned near as much cash flow and will have a larger Civic presence. The person who successfully manages and maximizes this cash flow can demand an outrageous salary or go and take his assistants somewhere where it will be appreciated. Watch these pages!

per Powers:

So this week Coyle shows up with a mop and a bucket and goes to work. He’ll deal with an alleged Xanax ring involving the wrestling team, a men’s basketball coach who gets his best recruiting ideas by perusing the FBI’s most wanted list and a phalanx of boosters who are justifiably livid that Jerry Kill is now employed by Kansas State.

I stopped reading at this garbage comment.

20130907__tom_powers_picks-e1453937097115.jpg

Just look at this guy, doesn't take care of himself. Disgusting.

Powers is a naf; he shouldn't even be writing for the Rochester Post Bulletin.

The times have changed so much in 10 years that there are no comparisons. The $$$ have gotten so unbelievable large as TV and Cable have made college football and basketball each an entertainment industry generating $billions. There is something more shocking than a college football coach making $10 million. That's the pure fact that someone like Saben or Myers when measured against any other entertainment mogul on a pure profit/loss generating basis is significantly underpaid. How Coyle and the U of M deal with this will be very interesting. Mark this posting. In 5 years Claeys will be making north of $7 million or he will be gone. Either to assist somewhere else or to HC where he is paid what he is worth. The fine folks in Minnesota will have a delicious time coming to grips with the fact that Minnesota Football has an entertainment presence as large as Prince did. It will generate darned near as much cash flow and will have a larger Civic presence. The person who successfully manages and maximizes this cash flow can demand an outrageous salary or go and take his assistants somewhere where it will be appreciated. Watch these pages!

There is no way he will be making anywhere close to 7 million and I'll even say 5 million anywhere within the next 5 years.

If not, he won't be our head coach. Either because he was successful or because he wasn't. Pull this up in 2021 and either point out how prescient or dumb I was.

If not, he won't be our head coach. Either because he was successful or because he wasn't. Pull this up in 2021 and either point out how prescient or dumb I was.

Since your timeline is 5 years from now, it would be instructive to look back 5 years to see where things stood. Five years ago, Kill was a few months into the job and was making $1.2 million/year. Tracy Claeys' current deal averages out to $1.5 million/year. That means over the previous 5 years, the coach's average salary has gone up 25%. Even if I pretend that Kill didn't resign for health reasons and that he was still here making $2.5 million/year, that would be an increase of 108% over the previous 5 years. Now you're trying to claim that the coach's salary will go increase by 466% in the next 5 years? What are you basing this on? It just plain doesn't make any sense.

Gotta love those that look at the Maturi/Mason days as the holy grail. Not sure why folks have such a hard time realizing that just because Maturi/Mason were better than Norwood/Brewster doesn't mean they were what we should strive for. It shows a total lack of comprehension and big picture thinking. Annoying.

yer on the money here: for those of us who were there- maturi took over and made his way to each athletic dept and facility and gave his intro speech. he told us he wanted to be like Madison in 5 yrs. everyone there knew the U had hired a wannabee who had no vision of greatness.

Since your timeline is 5 years from now, it would be instructive to look back 5 years to see where things stood. Five years ago, Kill was a few months into the job and was making $1.2 million/year. Tracy Claeys' current deal averages out to $1.5 million/year. That means over the previous 5 years, the coach's average salary has gone up 25%. Even if I pretend that Kill didn't resign for health reasons and that he was still here making $2.5 million/year, that would be an increase of 108% over the previous 5 years. Now you're trying to claim that the coach's salary will go increase by 466% in the next 5 years? What are you basing this on? It just plain doesn't make any sense.
What's interesting is Jerry had roughly 20 plus years of head coach experience and Claeys has a bigger first time deal. Grant it as a long time assistant of Kill's, but it is worth noting. I can see where ncgo4 is coming from, we may look back and say he exaggerated the increases, but we seem to be a never ending arms race

What's interesting is Jerry had roughly 20 plus years of head coach experience and Claeys has a bigger first time deal. Grant it as a long time assistant of Kill's, but it is worth noting. I can see where ncgo4 is coming from, we may look back and say he exaggerated the increases, but we seem to be a never ending arms race

Don't forget that Jerry asked that part of his initial salary be shifted to his assistant coaches. That made his original salary smaller. Of course this was all forgotten in the next few years after Jerry showed his value. They then gave him a big raise because he was being paid so low compared to his peers in the B1G. A brilliant move by Jerry to get better pay for his assistants knowing that he would get adjusted later.

Top Bottom