Pro Football Focus: Jalen Myrick may be a better player than 2015’s NFL departees

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Minnesota: Cornerback Jalen Myrick may be a better player than 2015’s NFL departees
It’s natural to expect a significant drop-off in play at a position the year two starters depart for the NFL (Eric Murray was drafted in the fourth round by the Chiefs and Briean Boddy-Calhoun was an undrafted free agent of Jacksonville), but the reality is that when healthy, Jalen Myrick was the most productive CB on last year’s roster.

Myrick ranked ninth nationally in our cornerback grades through week nine, until a rib and lung injury knocked him out of the Ohio State game in week ten and prematurely ended his regular season. Opposing QBs had a NFL rating of 34.8 on targets thrown his way, ranking him third among all returning CBs with at least 250 coverage snaps in 2015. His deep speed and ability to play the ball in the air made him an effective defender downfield, and as long as he maintains his health this year he should be one of the Big Ten’s best at his position.

Link

per Pro Football Focus:

Minnesota: Cornerback Jalen Myrick may be a better player than 2015’s NFL departees
It’s natural to expect a significant drop-off in play at a position the year two starters depart for the NFL (Eric Murray was drafted in the fourth round by the Chiefs and Briean Boddy-Calhoun was an undrafted free agent of Jacksonville), but the reality is that when healthy, Jalen Myrick was the most productive CB on last year’s roster.

Myrick ranked ninth nationally in our cornerback grades through week nine, until a rib and lung injury knocked him out of the Ohio State game in week ten and prematurely ended his regular season. Opposing QBs had a NFL rating of 34.8 on targets thrown his way, ranking him third among all returning CBs with at least 250 coverage snaps in 2015. His deep speed and ability to play the ball in the air made him an effective defender downfield, and as long as he maintains his health this year he should be one of the Big Ten’s best at his position.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-biggest-reason-for-hope-for-every-big-ten-team/

Go Gophers!!

I definitely thought that Myrick looked like a potential all big ten player last year. Myrick will step in as a stud CB for us.

I definitely thought that Myrick looked like a potential all big ten player last year. Myrick will step in as a stud CB for us.

Myrick has looked solid when he has been out there. The main question is how well he will hold up now that he has to be the guy and will almost certainly draw the toughest coverage assignment each game. For the sake of our defense hopefully he is up to the challenge and can lock down his guy on most plays.

I think he'll be very good, but I don't think he has Murray's instincts.

And don't forget, Travis will be back as well. I am not worried about the defensive backfield at all. Linebackers will also be good, just need to find some push up front and we might have the best defense under the Kill/Claeys era.

Sawvel for President!

#makethesecondarygreatagain

Top Bottom