Offseason B1G Projections Now That We Know Who's Coming Back

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Revisit in August when we know more about suspensions/transfers/late roster additions, and most importantly each teams' B1G schedule. But for now. ...

1 Wisconsin
2 Purdue
3 Michigan State
4 Indiana
5 Ohio State
6 Michigan
7 Illinois
8 Northwestern
9 Maryland
10 Penn State
11 Iowa
12 Nebraska
13 Minnesota
14 Rutgers

I'd swap Purdue and IU. I think Purdue will really miss Hammons

1. Wisconsin
2. IU
3. Sparty
4. Purdue
5. Ohio State
6. Michigan
7. Maryland
8. Northwestern
9. Illinois
10. Iowa
11. Nebraska
12. Minnesota
13. Penn State
14. Rutgers

Revisit in August when we know more about suspensions/transfers/late roster additions, and most importantly each teams' B1G schedule. But for now. ...

1 Wisconsin
2 Purdue
3 Michigan State
4 Indiana
5 Ohio State
6 Michigan
7 Illinois
8 Northwestern
9 Maryland
10 Penn State
11 Iowa
12 Nebraska
13 Minnesota
14 Rutgers

IF lynch plays does that raise MN or do you really think we'll be as bad as last year in the Big Ten?

mine

Tier 1:
1 Wisconsin
2 Indiana
3 Purdue

Tier 2:
4 Michigan State
5 Ohio State
6 Michigan

Tier 3:
7 Illinois
8 Northwestern
9 Minnesota
10 Maryland
11 Iowa
12 Nebraska
13 Penn State

Last place:
14 Rutgers

1 Wisconsin
2 Purdue
3 Michigan State
4 Indiana
5 Ohio State
6 Michigan
7 Illinois
8 Northwestern
9 Maryland
10 Penn State
11 Iowa
12 Nebraska
13 Minnesota
14 Rutgers

1) Wisconsin
2) Indiana
3) Michigan state
4) Purdue
5) Michigan
6) Ohio state
7) Illinois
8) Northwestern
9) Minnesota
10) Maryland
11) Penn state
12) Iowa
13) Nebraska
14) Rutgers
I could see the top 10 finishing 8-10 or better, with the 11th seed being a 7-11 team. The games between 7-13 will be absolute bloodbaths. The conference may not have a lot of national title contenders (if any) but the conference is as deep as ever

I could see the top 10 finishing 8-10 or better, with the 11th seed being a 7-11 team. The games between 7-13 will be absolute bloodbaths. The conference may not have a lot of national title contenders (if any) but the conference is as deep as ever

Completely agree with this. I think that range is nearly impossible to predict. I do think we're underrating Maryland a bit. I certainly hope they finish as low as possible, but I have a hard time seeing them below 8/9 or so at the worst

My way too early take...

1) Indiana
2) Wisconsin
3) Michigan State
4) Michigan
5) Purdue
6) Ohio State
7) Northwestern (I think this is the year they finally hit the dance floor)
8) Maryland
9) Penn State
10) Illinois
11) Minnesota
12) Iowa
13) Nebraska
14) Rutgers

Completely agree with this. I think that range is nearly impossible to predict. I do think we're underrating Maryland a bit. I certainly hope they finish as low as possible, but I have a hard time seeing them below 8/9 or so at the worst

Yup, within the last 48 hours, Maryland got Melo Trimble back and landed a 4-star small forward in Justin Jackson. I'd expect they'll finish ahead of us, Northwestern, and possibly Illinois. I think Illinois has enough talent, despite losing Kendrick Nunn this offseason, to do some damage, since they have Abrams for a 6th year, and return Mike Thorne, Leron Black, and Jalen Coleman-Lands. There was also that tall white guy who was dropping threes on us in our Big Ten tournament game, I think he was just a freshman.

In case you weren't aware of how old Tracy Abrams is:

He committed to Illinois in 2008, over 3 years before Bruce Weber was fired.
He will be 25 by the end of this upcoming season.
Other members of his recruiting class include Andre Hollins, Anthony Davis, Austin Rivers, Michael Carter-Williams, Trey Burke, Sam Thompson, and LaQuinton Ross

1. UW (returns everyone)
2. MSU (Izzo + talent)
3. PU (Now have a PG)
4. Mary (Tremble back and healthy)
5. OSU (Too much talent)
6. Indiana (No Yogi No 14 B1G sos)
7. Mich (Middle of the pack seems just right)
8. NW (missing the tourney yet again)
9. Iowa (Jok is good enough to win a couple by himself)
10. Neb (this is probably just who they are)
11. PSU (play tough win a few)
12. Illinois (Is a mess)
13. Minnesota (close to a dumpster fire)
14. Rutgers (dumpster fire)

If things go opposite of the last two seasons with injuries and defections the Gophers can get to the 7,8,9 range. We will have like 6 more available competitive players to start the season if Lynch or a replacement for him emerges. We will be much better than we have been, if and just because we have 13 athletic players competing for spots.

1.Wisky
2.MSU
3.OSU
4.Purdue
5.Indiana
6.Maryland
7.Minnesota
8.Michigan
9.NW
10.Nebraska
11.Ill.
12.Iowa
13.Rutgers

I can understand the grasping at straws after last season but what did Lynch do at ILL ST against competition far less than he will face in the BIG to make anointed as the savior?
Just asking.

IF lynch plays does that raise MN or do you really think we'll be as bad as last year in the Big Ten?
I think Lynch is done. His situation happened at the worst time possible for the program. The Wrestling team scandal will not divert attention to misconduct because it has intensifted scrutiny on all athletic programs.

For this team to improve, we need to find a big man transfer who can make an immediate impact and have the entire incoming class of freshmen contend to be starters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think Lynch is done. His situation happened at the worst time possible for the program. The Wrestling team scandal will not divert attention to misconduct because it has intensifted scrutiny on all athletic programs.

For this team to improve, we need to find a big man transfer who can make an immediate impact and have the entire incoming class of freshmen contend to be starters.

That's asking a lot as we head into June! Best and only good thing that can happen is that he gets cleared before season. Of course, that is only good if he is innocent.

Back to hoping the development of Konate is something miraculous.

I can understand the grasping at straws after last season but what did Lynch do at ILL ST against competition far less than he will face in the BIG to make anointed as the savior?
Just asking.

What's with your fascination with making things up?
Just asking.

Of course you do because you wake up thinking that your cereal has been poisoned. It's sports Ewert. It's for enjoyment! Have a little stinkin' positivity.

No more excuses for Pitino. Year 4 with a roster you picked. There is no reason to not have one top 5 finish in 4 years. Doing miraculous things under trying circumstances is what great coaches do.
UW
MSU
MARY
OSU
MICH
PU
IND
GOPHERS
NW
WHO CARES

No more excuses for Pitino. Year 4 with a roster you picked. There is no reason to not have one top 5 finish in 4 years. Doing miraculous things under trying circumstances is what great coaches do.
UW
MSU
MARY
OSU
MICH
PU
IND
GOPHERS
NW
WHO CARES

I agree with that. At the end of next year there has to be a feeling among fans and in the eyes of the AD that he has the guys in place to not only be a borderline NCAA selection, but also to be a future contender in the Big 10. If he finishes 10th or below- he's done. 8th or 9th is borderline and more of a "feel call" than a cut and dried decision. Top five is a ridiculous ask for the coming year.

Being optimistic with Murphy and Mason being among the best in the big 10 - we will finish 4th!

If Lynch plays, and there are no other off-court "surprises," then the key to the season - for me - is:

Does the Gopher team show improvement as the season continues. Integrating the new players into the rotation may take some time, but once the conference season starts, and assuming Pitino has the rotation the way he wants - I want to see a team that gets better during the season.

I'm not making demands or predictions for the number of wins. I just want to see improvement. I want to see signs that the players understand the system, are learning the system, and getting better.

If we get to February, and the team is running around on the court like they don't have a clue, Pitino is toast, buyout or no buyout.

If you can't sell the public success, you at least have to be able to sell them hope. If you can't sell them hope, game over.

Of course you do because you wake up thinking that your cereal has been poisoned. It's sports Ewert. It's for enjoyment! Have a little stinkin' positivity.
Sorry, my positivity and optimism were greatly decreased cheering for the football team from 1981-1986 and the basketball team from 1992 -1999. Everything I see is colored towards avoiding the worst possible scenario for the U Sports teams. I don't see a great risk-reward scenario in the MBB anymore. Enough false promises have been heard and enough police reports have been filed.

You want to hear me be positive about MBB? The team better start winning and going to class, while staying out of the jails.

This isn't just about sports, it is about reflecting on the University of Minnesota have a high level of integrity and respectability as a whole. The Psychiatry program should be a reminder that the academic side of the school can be just as bad as Athletics.

Only way we finish in the bottom 2 is if Pitino is canned before the start of league play. This team has a lot more talent than last year.

I agree with that. At the end of next year there has to be a feeling among fans and in the eyes of the AD that he has the guys in place to not only be a borderline NCAA selection, but also to be a future contender in the Big 10. If he finishes 10th or below- he's done. 8th or 9th is borderline and more of a "feel call" than a cut and dried decision. Top five is a ridiculous ask for the coming year.

As usual, people focus on the wrong things here. If you don't win the Big Ten, it doesn't really matter where you finish. What's important is getting in the Tournament. He needs to be in the Tournament (or at the very least narrowly miss) if he wants to save his job, in my opinion. Whether the Gophers finish 2nd or 5th or 8th or 9th or 13th in the Big Ten is academic - the resume established and whether or not you're playing meaningful games in mid/late March are what's important.

As usual, people focus on the wrong things here. If you don't win the Big Ten, it doesn't really matter where you finish. What's important is getting in the Tournament. He needs to be in the Tournament (or at the very least narrowly miss) if he wants to save his job, in my opinion. Whether the Gophers finish 2nd or 5th or 8th or 9th or 13th in the Big Ten is academic - the resume established and whether or not you're playing meaningful games in mid/late March are what's important.

I hear what you are saying and somewhat agree but finishing in the top 5 at some point really does matter. It means that you have been a contender all year, that you have a shot at rising further and perhaps winning a conference title at some points AND it gets you a better seed with a better chance to advance a long ways in the NCAAs. It matters.

Playing in the NCAA tournament is not all that matters to me. Winning big games during the Big Ten season and watching a good, fun team finish near the top of the Big Ten standings is very enjoyable.

I would rather finish top 3 in the Big Ten and go out in round one of the NCAA tournament than finish 6th or lower and win one NCAA tournament game.

Playing in the NCAA tournament is not all that matters to me. Winning big games during the Big Ten season and watching a good, fun team finish near the top of the Big Ten standings is very enjoyable.

I would rather finish top 3 in the Big Ten and go out in round one of the NCAA tournament than finish 6th or lower and win one NCAA tournament game.
For me it would depend. It would suck to pull an Iowa State or Baylor two years in a row. At the same time if you get dumped by 20 plus in the second round than it's why bother. I guess the expectations of the team to begin with would play a role in it as well. Next year I would gladly take an appearance in the round of 32, even that means an eighth place finish in the big ten.

What's with your fascination with making things up?
Just asking.

I don't think he asked that bad of a question and i'll even raise...

On what level is Fitgerald over King and Coffey over Buggs/Morris enough of a difference to go from 13th to top 10 in the Big Ten like some are projecting? I know Coffey is our biggest recruit in years but unless he is putting up 20 a night I still see us in the bottom 4 in the Big Ten. Remember we were 2-12 (along with some terrible non conference losses) even with the Threesome still playing.

On what level is Fitgerald over King and Coffey over Buggs/Morris enough of a difference to go from 13th to top 10 in the Big Ten like some are projecting? I know Coffey is our biggest recruit in years but unless he is putting up 20 a night I still see us in the bottom 4 in the Big Ten. Remember we were 2-12 (along with some terrible non conference losses) even with the Threesome still playing.
Even if Coffey is scoring in the 8-12 range, I would expect him to be a much better defender than Carlos Morris. The drop off from Austin to Carlos and side of the ball was painfully obvious. Not that Coffey will defend on Austin's level as a frosh, but that's where I expect him to make his biggest contribution. Fitz is a wildcard, hopefully he's as good as advertised, it would solve a lot of problems. Curry should provide a good motor off the bench when spelling Murphy. He won't stretch the floor like Joey, but he should improve rebounding. Lynch (legal issues pending but I think he will play) is a huge upgrade to our interior defense. Having him will allow the guards to be more aggressive on the perimeter. Ultimately though if were going to go to the tournament, 3M is going to have to take that next step, all thre will need to build off there years last year. We have as much depth as anyone, but can our best three players step up and defend the barn and steal a couple on the road

I think you also need to assume all the returning players take another step forward. Year three Mason is better than year two Mason. etc etc

I don't think he asked that bad of a question and i'll even raise... On what level is Fitgerald over King and Coffey over Buggs/Morris enough of a difference to go from 13th to top 10 in the Big Ten like some are projecting? I know Coffey is our biggest recruit in years but unless he is putting up 20 a night I still see us in the bottom 4 in the Big Ten. Remember we were 2-12 (along with some terrible non conference losses) even with the Threesome still playing.
But also remember we were 0-12, beat then #6 Maryland, blew out Rutgers, then had the suspensions. Last years team was dreadful defending and rebounding first half of the year and improved greatly in those areas. I still say the suspensions stopped the momentum that was building and also stopped us from getting to 4-5 wins in conference. You add Lynch (hopefully), Fitz, Coffey, Hurt, Curry and Springs suddenly you have depth and roster versatility. Springs also adds maturity and experience which is something we needed desperately last year.

Top Bottom