Power Ranking Toughest Big Ten Football Environments to Play In (8. TCF Bank Stadium)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bleacher Report:

The temporary home of the Minnesota Vikings for the past two seasons, TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis has arguably been better known for its NFL games than its college experiences as of late.

But when the Golden Gophers are in town, fans still show up, with Minnesota filling an average of 99.7 percent of its 52,525 capacity in 2015, including five sellouts, despite the team finishing with a 5-7 regular-season record at year's end.

The Big Ten's first new stadium since Memorial Stadium opened in Bloomington in 1960, TCF Bank Stadium is still finding its footing in terms of tradition, but its modern design has been a breath of fresh air in the conference. Since its opening seven years ago, the Golden Gophers have owned a 26-23 record at home, including a 21-14 mark in the past five years.

This season, however, Minnesota has thus far been left out by both ESPN and the Big Ten Network when it comes to hosting prime-time games. Whether one will eventually get added remains to be seen and will likely be dependent on the Golden Gophers' on-field success throughout the 2016 campaign.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-ten-football-environments-to-play-in/page/8

Go Gophers!!

Is there anyone with an unusually strong record at home compared to everyone else that is better than say... just their regular record would indicate?

Hard to argue with our spot, although, I think Wisconsin is behind Nebraska, Michigan and Penn State when it comes to home field

This is a flawed analysis (didn't take opponents into account/strength of schedule), but for the last 5 years (2011-2015). Neutral site games don't appear to be included.

1tuutI2.png

*Used stats from ESPN's B1G standings page

This is a flawed analysis (didn't take opponents into account/strength of schedule), but for the last 5 years:

OoRNZUG.png

I'm not following your chart there. I must be misreading it somehow. Can you better explain what each column represents for the past five years?

This is a flawed analysis (didn't take opponents into account/strength of schedule), but for the last 5 years:

OoRNZUG.png

Your chart confuses me. Take Ohio State for example. Per the chart, their 5 year total record is 33-17. In actuality they went 56-12. I'm sure some of those games were neutral sites, but this isn't adding up.

Your chart confuses me. Take Ohio State for example. Per the chart, their 5 year total record is 33-17. In actuality they went 56-12. I'm sure some of those games were neutral sites, but this isn't adding up.

Glad I'm not the only one wondering about what those numbers represent. It says Illinois has a home win % of 91.3% (21-2). Huh? Clearly, we're missing something.

per Bleacher Report:
The Big Ten's first new stadium since Memorial Stadium opened in Bloomington in 1960, TCF Bank Stadium is still finding its footing in terms of tradition....

Is it my imagination, or does every Bleacher Report article contain at least one inexcusably stupid error or failure of research?

Hmmm... you're right. Will admit to a few brews after a long day of work. Oh well, will rework it tonight when I get home.

I thought facts didn't matter on here? :p

Is it my imagination, or does every Bleacher Report article contain at least one inexcusably stupid error or failure of research?

This is IU's football stadium in Bloomington, IN. They also named the field Memorial Stadium (as is the name for like 40 other football stadiums out there)

Also, pretty sure Illinois has had more then 7 losses over the past five years...could just be my flawed thinking though and not the flawed nature of this chart :p

Hmmm... you're right. Will admit to a few brews after a long day of work. Oh well, will rework it tonight when I get home.

I thought facts didn't matter on here? :p

Great response / post!

I think that's the point. It gets people talking and sharing the article on social media, which gets them more page views and more ad revenue.

Top Bottom