ESPN: Most indispensable player: Minnesota (QB Mitch Leidner)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Most indispensable player: QB Mitch Leidner

It's pretty obvious to pick a quarterback here, and Minnesota has some very valuable defensive players, including defensive backs Jalen Myrick and Damarius Travis. But it's hard to deny the experience and leadership Leidner brings, not to mention the dearth of those traits behind him.

Golden Gophers fans have made it a near-weekly rite of fall to criticize Leidner and wonder if someone will replace him under center. Leidner showed growth last season, however, setting career highs in completion percentage (59.5), passing yards (2,701) and touchdowns (14). He threw for 317 yards against Michigan and 281 versus Ohio State. In the Quick Lane Bowl against Central Michigan, Leidner went 24-for-30 for 223 yards and a touchdown while playing on one healthy foot.

He has been one of the team's top leaders since the day he walked on campus, and Leidner is now a fifth-year senior with 35 starts under his belt. With Leidner mostly sidelined this spring following foot surgery, his backups got a chance to gain reps and experience. Perhaps one day soon it will be time for sophomore Demry Croft or freshman Seth Green to run the show.

But Minnesota should hope that day can wait. Because Leidner will be one of the most experienced quarterbacks in the Big Ten this fall, and he'll be virtually irreplaceable for the Gophers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/133322/most-indispensable-player-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

He looked good after Jerry left and they opened things up, and yeah you gotta go with experience here.

This was not a tough choice.

This article didn't address his ability to throw a spiral though?! :rolleyes:

I wish we had run more "hurry up" last year. Mitch seemed to do well when he was allowed to run it. I'm not sure why they stopped doing it especially since it was successful when it was tried...for the most part. If there is a player that most needs to be in rhythm it's the QB so hopefully we'll see it more this season.

I wish we had run more "hurry up" last year. Mitch seemed to do well when he was allowed to run it. I'm not sure why they stopped doing it especially since it was successful when it was tried...for the most part. If there is a player that most needs to be in rhythm it's the QB so hopefully we'll see it more this season.

I think the coaches deliberately tried to hide the extent of Leidner's foot injuries last year. The last thing you want to do is broadcast to the opposition that "hey, our QB can't run."

That is one of my bigger sources of optimism for 2016. If Leidner is 100% healthy, and working with a new (and hopefully more creative) offensive coordinator, I could see the Gophers having the best - and most balanced - offense since Kill took over. It all comes down to the WR's. If they are productive, this offense could be fun to watch.

I thought after 2013 Mitch could develop into a decent QB. After 2014 I was hoping someone would beat him out because he couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn when the game was on the line. Now I believe Mitch is poised to have a great senior season. He won't be electrifying but he should be able to drive the team down the field consistently. Unless of course the O-Line and receivers are terrible. Then I don't know what he can do on his own.

I thought after 2013 Mitch could develop into a decent QB. After 2014 I was hoping someone would beat him out because he couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn when the game was on the line. Now I believe Mitch is poised to have a great senior season. He won't be electrifying but he should be able to drive the team down the field consistently. Unless of course the O-Line and receivers are terrible. Then I don't know what he can do on his own.

I've had the same up and down feelings about Mitch.

I feel pretty after Jerry was gone and we saw them seemingly open it up and Mitch rise to the occasion a bit.

We need some WR's to step up. KJ pulled off some great catches for Mitch.

I still can't believe how many reception he had last year. Eric Decker had 84 for 1200 and 7 TDs in a wide open spread attack in 2008 while KJ had like 73 for almost 800 and 5 TDs. A couple more TDs from KJ might have got us another win.

I think the coaches deliberately tried to hide the extent of Leidner's foot injuries last year. The last thing you want to do is broadcast to the opposition that "hey, our QB can't run."

<B>That is one of my bigger sources of optimism for 2016. If Leidner is 100% healthy, </B>and working with a new (and hopefully more creative) offensive coordinator, I could see the Gophers having the best - and most balanced - offense since Kill took over. It all comes down to the WR's. If they are productive, this offense could be fun to watch.

The rub is ML7 starts every year at 100%, but never finishes near that. He is anything but elusive when he runs and takes some big hits. He keeps on going, which is awesome, but I'm not optimistic he'll stay healthy this year.

Top Bottom