BTN: Ranking Week 1 Big Ten games (#2. Oregon State at Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Ranking Week 1 games

1. LSU vs. Wisconsin at Green Bay, Wis.
2. Oregon State at Minnesota (Sept. 1)
3. Rutgers at Washington
4. Fresno State at Nebraska
5. Western Michigan at Northwestern
6. Indiana at Florida International (Sept. 1)
7. Bowling Green at Ohio State
8. Hawaii at Michigan
9. Kent State at Penn State
10. Miami (Ohio) at Iowa
11. Furman at Michigan State (Sept. 2)
12. Murray State at Illinois
13. Howard at Maryland
14. Eastern Kentucky at Purdue

http://btn.com/2016/05/24/best-of-week-1-opening-week-all-about-lsu-vs-wisconsin/

Go Gophers!!

Hard to argue otherwise. Washington is a more interesting opponent than Oregon St but that game will be over by half time. What makes our match up so interesting is all the drama Anderson stirred up here while at Wisconsin and his unexpected exist from there. I think we win this game. By how much will be determined by whether or not Anderson can improve a very bad defense.

per BTN:

Ranking Week 1 games

1. LSU vs. Wisconsin at Green Bay, Wis.
2. Oregon State at Minnesota (Sept. 1)
3. Rutgers at Washington
4. Fresno State at Nebraska
5. Western Michigan at Northwestern
6. Indiana at Florida International (Sept. 1)
7. Bowling Green at Ohio State
8. Hawaii at Michigan
9. Kent State at Penn State
10. Miami (Ohio) at Iowa
11. Furman at Michigan State (Sept. 2)
12. Murray State at Illinois
13. Howard at Maryland
14. Eastern Kentucky at Purdue

http://btn.com/2016/05/24/best-of-week-1-opening-week-all-about-lsu-vs-wisconsin/

Go Gophers!!
I'd move Purdue up to 11 just because EKU could pull the upset in that one

So one good game, two games that might be passable for folks not invested in those teams and a lot of preseason stuff.

I'd move Purdue up to 11 just because EKU could pull the upset in that one

That is assuming of course that Purdue would be favored in that game. Have not looked into any of these matchups but would not expect Purdue to be a big favorite against anybody given how bad they have been the past few years.

As for the matchups, basically it is LSU vs. Wisconsin in the top spot and the 13 other games all jumbled into one big pile after that in week 1. Not to say there won't be some good games in there but in terms of interest level, there is really only one game that will draw attention from outside of the teams respective fanbases.

So one good game, two games that might be passable for folks not invested in those teams and a lot of preseason stuff.

Good assessment. Bowling Green and Western Michigan have been good and could be mildly entertaining games.

Apart from the game one Wisconsin matchup, I think the biggest curiosity to people is who among the underdogs has the best chance at an upset. The writer talks all about the Northwestern game in his piece and then lists it 5th on his list? Minnesota is #2 without a word why. Previously, we have been told by others that game one is our easiest non conference matchup. Yet, he is picking it #2? Tell us why. The Anderson factor to me is a non starter. Any idea why we'd be #2?

I would list us number two, just from the curiosity interest of having a new offensive coordinator going against a new defensive coordinator, in the first game of the season unknown vs unknown.

Apart from the game one Wisconsin matchup, I think the biggest curiosity to people is who among the underdogs has the best chance at an upset. The writer talks all about the Northwestern game in his piece and then lists it 5th on his list? Minnesota is #2 without a word why. Previously, we have been told by others that game one is our easiest non conference matchup. Yet, he is picking it #2? Tell us why. The Anderson factor to me is a non starter. Any idea why we'd be #2?

60's guy, If you watched their Spring game like I did you would see why they ranked it number 2.
The transfer QB from Utah State is the real deal. They've very good RB's and WR's.Anderson RS
a lot of his first recruiting class ; many on defense. He also brought in some quality JC transfers
We lost two of our best defensive backs. Will the guys in the wings perform? That is the question. Myrick should be solid, and the kid we get back from injury will help; solid player. I look for a game in the 30's . So I'll go : Gophers 35 the Beavers 31. We'll win on a late TD drive by Mitch.

60's guy, If you watched their Spring game like I did you would see why they ranked it number 2.
The transfer QB from Utah State is the real deal. They've very good RB's and WR's.Anderson RS
a lot of his first recruiting class ; many on defense. He also brought in some quality JC transfers
We lost two of our best defensive backs. Will the guys in the wings perform? That is the question. Myrick should be solid, and the kid we get back from injury will help; solid player. I look for a game in the 30's . So I'll go : Gophers 35 the Beavers 31. We'll win on a late TD drive by Mitch.

Thanks Rupp...not good news...everything I have read on here says they are laughable...therefore without the writer giving any reasons it made no sense for us to be #2 to me. If it's a dogfight game, ya now makes sense. Colorado St is supposed to be the difficult non conference game? Not starting 3 and 0 would be a major buzz kill once again to dreams of 8,9, 10 wins. Hopefully, your prediction of a win is accurate but we win by three touchdowns just to set the tone going forward. Go Gophers!

OSU's run defense was trash last season and they lost 4 of their front 7 starters. Like TCU last year, I don't expect that to help them.

Given that it is the first game of the season we should be relatively healthy on the line, our backs will be healthy, and we should be able to bury these guys. If we can't, time to pop the Rolaids similar to after that CSU game last season.

Their new QB may be a savior, but that remains to be seen. Statistically their offense was not great. Now, there are always confounding factors that insiders and followers are aware of; injuries and talented freshmen coming in etc. Maybe someone can chime in. I'm not too worried about a spring game passing exhibition of all things.

Here is their advanced stat profile. Check out the numbers. They are ugly. It can't be overstated how many meatgrinder defenses we faced last season. We had a tough, tough schedule. This D is Charmin soft. Defenses don't often go from among the worst to top 10 in one season. If we can't pull off this game, at home, I'm going to be very worried.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-oregon-state-advanced-statistical-profile

Here is their advanced stat profile. Check out the numbers. They are ugly. It can't be overstated how many meatgrinder defenses we faced last season. We had a tough, tough schedule. This D is Charmin soft. Defenses don't often go from among the worst to top 10 in one season. If we can't pull off this game, at home, I'm going to be very worried.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-oregon-state-advanced-statistical-profile

Yes it was soft last year. Last game of the year they gave Oregon a hell of a game. Anderson is not chopped liver as a coach. They can run, pass,and catch on offense. .My guess is they will put 8 in the box against Mitch and force him to throw more. I think we will win, but like CSU last year it will come down to the final quarter.

Previously, we have been told by others that game one is our easiest non conference matchup.

We have? Where? Indiana St. is the easiest nonconference game, and it isn't close.

Oregon had a below average defense last year. They can score points, but they gave up a lot as well.

They gave up 37.5 pts/game last year.

Unless I'm wrong, and I don't think so, there are only three conference week 1 games between two Power 5 Conference teams. The Wisconsin game is between two top 25 teams and the Rutgers game has, well, Rutgers. A Power 5 team in name only. So, it is pretty logical that our game takes the #2 spot.

Although Rutgers is better at football than basketball.

My undergrad degree is from OSU and I go out for one or two games per year. They were bad last year for multiple reasons. The D was exceptionally young and slow and Anderson gave the the team the ice bath treatment with completely different systems and a much tougher coaching style vs the Mike Riley/ Mr Rodgers aw shucks style. He weeded out a lot of dead wood and I expect the team to be much better. Think Kills second year. The QB play last year was dreadful. None had taken a live snap before. The Utah State transfer should be a major upgrade. There is some talent on offense, but it will be dependent on the O line health. Injury bug as bad as the Goph's last year.

My undergrad degree is from OSU and I go out for one or two games per year. They were bad last year for multiple reasons. The D was exceptionally young and slow and Anderson gave the the team the ice bath treatment with completely different systems and a much tougher coaching style vs the Mike Riley/ Mr Rodgers aw shucks style. He weeded out a lot of dead wood and I expect the team to be much better. Think Kills second year. The QB play last year was dreadful. None had taken a live snap before. The Utah State transfer should be a major upgrade. There is some talent on offense, but it will be dependent on the O line health. Injury bug as bad as the Goph's last year.

Thanks for your post. Keep posting OSU football news. I like to get insights on our opponents and OSU doesn't seem to have a lot online (not that I really search for it). If you have additional thoughts, please share them.

Thanks for your post. Keep posting OSU football news. I like to get insights on our opponents and OSU doesn't seem to have a lot online (not that I really search for it). If you have additional thoughts, please share them.

Once we get close to the game I will give a rundown here.

Top Bottom