Red McCombs wants two teams added to Big 12, one of them Houston

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Houston Cougars have the attention of at least one, deep pocketed, Texas donor.

San Antonio billionaire Red McCombs, a long-time contributor to Longhorn athletics, thinks the Big 12 should expand by adding Houston.

In fact, he said the Cougars should’ve been invited two years ago.

McCombs told ESPN radio in San Antonio: “I think we need to add two teams to the Big 12 and should have done it two years ago. The first one should be the University of Houston then it would be your choice of several others.”

http://www.hookem.com/2016/05/23/red-mccombs-thinks-big-12-add-houston/

Go Gophers!!

He wanted the Vikings in Houston too.... probably would have had them join the Big XII...

He's right on this one, Houston to the Big 12 makes a lot of sense, almost to much sense

He's right on this one, Houston to the Big 12 makes a lot of sense, almost to much sense

The only problem is will the other Texas schools accept them. I think Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU probably don't want anyone stealing their thunder which I imagine a resurgent Houston could do.

I'm pretty sure it was San Antonio. The NFL awarded a franchise to Texans owner Bob McNair in 1999 thus it wouldn't make sense to have two franchises in Houston.

I stand corrected, yeah it was San Antonio.

Still he would have had them join the Big XII too!

The only problem is will the other Texas schools accept them. I think Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU probably don't want anyone stealing their thunder which I imagine a resurgent Houston could do.

You are exactly correct! It makes perfect sense for UofH to join the Big 12 but it will be over the Longhorns dead body. Unless something drastically changes down here, the other Texas schools feel very strongly that there are already too many schools form the Lone Star State in the Big12. Not gonna happen!

You are exactly correct! It makes perfect sense for UofH to join the Big 12 but it will be over the Longhorns dead body. Unless something drastically changes down here, the other Texas schools feel very strongly that there are already too many schools form the Lone Star State in the Big12. Not gonna happen!

Is this primarily because they don't want increased competition for recruits? Or a less prestigious school, or what? Genuinely curious.

Is this primarily because they don't want increased competition for recruits? Or a less prestigious school, or what? Genuinely curious.

Because it is simply another mouth to feed out of the Big 12 revenue that doesn't add any additional revenue from a TV standpoint. They would be taking more in money than they would contribute. The Big 12 already has exposure in Houston and Dallas, etc..

Because it is simply another mouth to feed out of the Big 12 revenue that doesn't add any additional revenue from a TV standpoint. They would be taking more in money than they would contribute. The Big 12 already has exposure in Houston and Dallas, etc..

Given how close College Station and Louisiana are to Houston, I would think there is room for growth in the Houston market for the BigXII. Admittedly, I have no idea how influential the LHN is in Houston. You would think that he would have knowledge of growth potential since he owned one of the largest media companies in the country.

Given how close College Station and Louisiana are to Houston, I would think there is room for growth in the Houston market for the BigXII. Admittedly, I have no idea how influential the LHN is in Houston. You would think that he would have knowledge of growth potential since he owned one of the largest media companies in the country.
The Big 12 games are already available on all of the cable service/television providers in that market, hence the market is already covered and no monetary benefit in adding them.

By that logic they shouldn't have added TCU 4 years ago.

By that logic they shouldn't have added TCU 4 years ago.
And a lot of people were opposed to it from a monetary standpoint. They didn't add substantially more media revenue to the conference. The Big 12 already had media rights in the DFW area, cable subscribers were already paying to view those schools even before TCU came onboard. They didn't all of a sudden open up additional subscribers in that market. They would be better off monetarily adding a UCF which would open them to new additional media markets and subscribers that they don't already have coverage in versus a Houston for example.

TCU also had consistently won and played in big bowl games. They made huge stadium improvements and they are super competitive in baseball as well. UofH is kind of a second rate school. Ofter referred as Cougar High here in Houston, not that they deserve that moniker. The Cougars have a new stadium that in my opinion is extremely average. If coach Hermann were to leave, I am not sure where that leaves the program.

As previously reported, the Houston market is a big supporter of Texas and aTm. If you didn't attend UofH, you aren't a fan unlike most Longhorns.
Ouga Ouga Ima Couga Go Cats Go!

Red McCombs=Love Boat MN Style.

He was so cheap he dismantled the Vikes staff babysitting services for overpaid/over-sexed players.

Who is Red McComb and how does Houston add to the academic integrity of the B1G?

Who cares what that piece of trash wants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Houston Cougars have the attention of at least one, deep pocketed, Texas donor.

San Antonio billionaire Red McCombs, a long-time contributor to Longhorn athletics, thinks the Big 12 should expand by adding Houston.

In fact, he said the Cougars should’ve been invited two years ago.

McCombs told ESPN radio in San Antonio: “I think we need to add two teams to the Big 12 and should have done it two years ago. The first one should be the University of Houston then it would be your choice of several others.”

http://www.hookem.com/2016/05/23/red-mccombs-thinks-big-12-add-houston/

Go Gophers!!
Who would the second team be? Would Houston make a contribution or be a punching bag?

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Who is Red McComb and how does Houston add to the academic integrity of the B1G?

I want to find tape of Red in the broadcast booth begging the Vikings defenders to stop the opposing player from scoring a long TD play. Perhaps the best moment of the Red McCombs era of Vikings history. "Stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him, stop him........Oh noooooo!" It didn't get any better than that. :cool:

Top Bottom