Shama: Kaler, Coyle Reach Out to U Critic Jim Carter

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

About two weeks ago Kaler announced Coyle as his choice to succeed interim AD Beth Goetz. The day of the announcement, and prior to holding the news conference, Kaler called Carter. “(Kaler) said they hired a superstar,” Carter told Sports Headliners. “Those are his words, and (he) asked me to greet the new man warmly.

“Then a couple days after Coyle got the job he was nice enough to call, which I was impressed with. I would expect it if a guy was good…he would call the people like me that have voiced lots of disagreement with Kaler and with the way the athletic department is being run. …

“So he did reach out to say let’s get together for a cup of coffee. Wanted to introduce himself over the phone. I congratulated him on getting the job, and I would guess that we’ll get together and get a chance to meet in person.”

The Coyle hire has been applauded by fans, media and others. The 47-year-old Iowa native has an impressive background in athletics administration that includes stops at Boise State, Kentucky and Syracuse. He was the AD at both Boise and Syracuse, and while at Kentucky reportedly helped raise more than $140 million. Before going to those schools Coyle worked in the Gophers athletic department with responsibilities that included marketing, licensing and sponsorships.

“I am sure he is a talented guy,” Carter said. “As you know, I was favoring hiring a person not in the (college athletic director) ranks, or working their way up as assistant AD. I would have much preferred an M man (U letter winner) …somebody that has been in (private) business.

“Having said all that, this looks like a good candidate. We’ll see. It’s still early on. What he (Coyle) does with that Pitino thing, I think we’ll know right away.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

“Having said all that, this looks like a good candidate. We’ll see. It’s still early on. What he (Coyle) does with that Pitino thing, I think we’ll know right away.”

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like he(Carter) has his mind made up as to what should be done with Pition. If Coyle decisions are the same as Carter, Coyle will be good....otherwise not so good.

Carter definitely thinks he matters...I'll give him that.

Carter definitely thinks he matters...I'll give him that.

No kidding. I wish they would stop giving this looney bird a platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Shama:

About two weeks ago Kaler announced Coyle as his choice to succeed interim AD Beth Goetz. The day of the announcement, and prior to holding the news conference, Kaler called Carter. “(Kaler) said they hired a superstar,” Carter told Sports Headliners. “Those are his words, and (he) asked me to greet the new man warmly.

“Then a couple days after Coyle got the job he was nice enough to call, which I was impressed with. I would expect it if a guy was good…he would call the people like me that have voiced lots of disagreement with Kaler and with the way the athletic department is being run. …

“So he did reach out to say let’s get together for a cup of coffee. Wanted to introduce himself over the phone. I congratulated him on getting the job, and I would guess that we’ll get together and get a chance to meet in person.”

The Coyle hire has been applauded by fans, media and others. The 47-year-old Iowa native has an impressive background in athletics administration that includes stops at Boise State, Kentucky and Syracuse. He was the AD at both Boise and Syracuse, and while at Kentucky reportedly helped raise more than $140 million. Before going to those schools Coyle worked in the Gophers athletic department with responsibilities that included marketing, licensing and sponsorships.

“I am sure he is a talented guy,” Carter said. “As you know, I was favoring hiring a person not in the (college athletic director) ranks, or working their way up as assistant AD. I would have much preferred an M man (U letter winner) …somebody that has been in (private) business.

Go Gophers!!

aka important people

When Carter shows up in these articles, man he comes off as a dick...

Excuse me for being ignorant, but who is Jim Carter? Why does he have a platform?

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Sorry Jim you don't really matter. You sure did a great job when you ran the T-Wolves. Move on and enjoy.

Carter, the only reason you got a call is because you are a squeaky wheel and you make the program look bad. You think you are a BFD, but you are just a whining ex-alum that got his education paid for by the people of Minnesota.

Coyle made a phone call- so I guess he's good. Ego-Strokin 101.

Carter, the only reason you got a call is because you are a squeaky wheel and you make the program look bad. You think you are a BFD, but you are just a whining ex-alum that got his education paid for by the people of Minnesota.

Ex alum? is this a real thing? DO i need to watch what i say?

Probably a good move by Coyle. If he can bring some of the dissidents to his side - or at the least get them to stop spouting off every 30 minutes - it buys him some time to evaluate the department without having to answer/respond to every former Gopher who likes airing his/her gripes in public.

Smart move by Coyle, sometimes in politics or positions that have political like aspects you need to make unimportant people feel important. I believe Carter was a football captain in the late 60's to the poster wondering who he was, an alum who has seen better days and was a part of those better days.

I was just a boy when Carter played at the U, but I do remember he was a standout (2-way) player at South St. Paul and was a major recruit to Minnesota at a time when the program expected to compete for the Big 10 title most years. We'd shared the title with Indiana in '67, a short time before Carter came aboard, if memory serves. He was a standout Gopher and was drafted by the GB Packers, who were just a couple of years removed from their dynasty period. Played linebacker there for several years, and was a tough customer on the gridiron. I never pulled for the Packers (Vikes fan) but always was proud of both Carter and teammate Gale Gillingham, who was a standout OL from Little Falls, MN and also a Gopher great.

We'd shared the title with Indiana in '67, a short time before Carter came aboard, if memory serves.

Carter was on the team in 1967 and contributed more than his fair share to that title run.

Top Bottom