Another thread on the construction

Rog

Reaction score
I remember from some time past that the negative on building where they are now doing it was that there was quite a bit of contaminated soil that had to be replaced. What the contaminated soil was caused by, I don't know, but usually it is due to some sort of oil contamination. This may be the reason for the "dark" soil being replaced by a lighter colored soil. thoughts?

The contaminated soil was expected to contain asbestos, mercury and ash, etc. The assessment report said the mercury might be found along former railroad track locations. I assume the asbestos would likely be found in fill materials brought to the site over the decades. At least that's what I encountered managing a project on a similar Minneapolis site.

Because they are laying storm sewer I'm assuming the soil correction under the basketball building pad is complete. The assessment report anticipated the need to remove approximately 10 feet of unsuitable (largely fill) material. They also expected to encounter footings for previous structures (past policy was to remove buildings to a depth of two feet below the ground).

I assume there was an underlying grid of utilities (both abandoned and operating) that needed to be removed or rerouted along with the legal work to provide or revise the necessary easements.

I recall that being a concern with TCF as well, what was under parking lots not far from the train tracks where in past times it was thought some stuff may have spilled and etc. I don't think that came to much.

I thought I read that that area was landfill, and former housing and they may find old houses torn down underneath?

According to the assessment report, the specific concern regarding mercury was related to the running track and its removal.

Top Bottom