Dienhart: My 4 biggest assistant coach hires in West Division (#2. MN OC Jay Johnson)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

2. Minnesota offensive coordinator Jay Johnson.

Tracy Claeys surprised some by firing offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Matt Limegrover and quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski. Claeys responded by hiring Jay Johnson to run the offense and coach quarterbacks. He was the associate head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterbacks coach at Louisiana-Lafayette for the past five seasons. Johnson operates a run-first spread with an emphasis on the quarterback run.

The offense needs more bite if Minnesota wants to contend in the West. Another key change: Claeys tabbed Bart Miller to coach the offensive line. Miller coached the line at Florida Atlantic the last two years. He coached Wisconsin’s line in 2012 after Mike Markuson was fired after just two games of the season.

http://btn.com/2016/05/20/dienhart-my-four-biggest-assistant-coach-hires-in-west-division/

Go Gophers!!

It's interesting that he had Wisconsin's hire of Justin Wilcox as DC number 1 on that list. Wilcox is a big drop off from Dave Aranda, he will have his work cut out for him there (especially considering the struggled in same position at USC).

It's interesting that he had Wisconsin's hire of Justin Wilcox as DC number 1 on that list. Wilcox is a big drop off from Dave Aranda, he will have his work cut out for him there (especially considering the struggled in same position at USC).

I guess it depends how you interpret the title. If by "biggest assistant coach hires" he means the coach with the biggest shoes to fill, it definitely is Wilcox.

Top Bottom