Softball: NCAA to Curtail Dugout Antics for Tournament?

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ball_s_awesome_dugout_props_and_routines.html

Unless you’re a die-hard college softball enthusiast or love getting down into the double digits of ESPN networks, you may not have known women’s college softball players have the most fun of any players of any sport, perhaps ever. You think I’m joking. I’m not. The current climate in America's softball dugouts is like a modern day sporting renaissance. You thought the Monmouth men’s basketball team bench was clever? You need to watch more softball, friend. Inflatable props, unselfconscious cheers, conspiratorial choreography, and high jinks galore all add up to make your average college softball game part finely tuned athletic contest and part improv comedy skit. There’s no need to make softball great again, it’s already doing just fine. But that could all be about to change. The NCAA is reportedly about to shut the fun down ahead of the NCAA National Championship tournament that kicks off this weekend, “curtail[ing] usage of props and uniform alterations in dugouts,” according to the Advocate.

What a joke. Dang, to me that's part of the appeal. I enjoy how the pitcher might signal to the outfielders how many down in a special way. The dancing in the dugout, the celebration at home plate after a dinger, etc. They have a good time and it shows.

Button down conservatism Ray Williams. The NCAA is controlled by a bunch of "Dick Cheney's"

Button down conservatism Ray Williams. The NCAA is controlled by a bunch of "Dick Cheney's"

No. More like politically correct conspirators, of which there are plenty from all over the political spectrum. I don't watch a lot of softball but I have noticed that they seem to have a lot more fun on and off the field than most high D-1 athletes. It's refreshing.

Top Bottom