Could the Gophers play NW at Wrigley in 2017?

That's just not true.

If TV is the determining factor, then by almost any metric, Minnesota would trump Purdue.

Minnesota has more TV sets by a fairly wide margin, has more alums, more enrollment, will almost certainly be looked upon more favorably from a team projection standpoint. Minneapolis is the 15th largest TV market in the country.

Purdue this past season had so much interest from TV networks that it didn't play a single game on ABC or ESPN. Twice the Boilers appeared on ESPN 2 and 5 more times on BTN (all the 11am kickoff variety). Excitement level for Purdue football was so high last year, it played FOUR TIMES on the vaunted ESPN-U or even worse, ESPN News. They did not appear in a night game. In addition, Purdue has been chosen for exactly ZERO prime times game for the coming year (2016). Quite simply, TV does not want Purdue game.

Comparatively, Minnesota played in four prime time games last year, including three national broadcasts on ABC or ESPN. And, the Gophers have been selected for two evening games already for the coming season (2016)

And, in case you haven't noticed, interest level in Purdue football is at a two-decade low. They have an almost lame-duck coach who is 2-22 in Big Ten games in 3 his years in West Lafayette. The only hope the Boilers likely have is if the decision is made after this season and Purdue hires some exciting new coach.

According to the link on the OP, a game at Wrigley isn't likely until 2019 now. Neither game appears real desirable it appears. While I agree that the TV market is quite a bit bigger for Minnesota than it is for Purdue, that doesn't mean a lot of sets are tuned to Gopher football games. Cooking shows probably have as many viewers during a typical Gopher telecast. It is what it is.

I think the number of Purdue alum in Chicago and the proximity of W Lafayette trumps Minnesota in terms of interest slightly. Just a gut feeling. Again, it appears that the game won't happen in 2017 so it's a moot point.

According to the link on the OP, a game at Wrigley isn't likely until 2019 now. Neither game appears real desirable it appears. While I agree that the TV market is quite a bit bigger for Minnesota than it is for Purdue, that doesn't mean a lot of sets are tuned to Gopher football games. Cooking shows probably have as many viewers during a typical Gopher telecast. It is what it is.

I think the number of Purdue alum in Chicago and the proximity of W Lafayette trumps Minnesota in terms of interest slightly. Just a gut feeling. Again, it appears that the game won't happen in 2017 so it's a moot point.

Not totally moot.

Minnesota and Purdue are the two home games for Northwestern in 2019, too. Purdue visits on Nov. 9 and Minnesota on Nov. 23.

Nov. 9 vs. Purdue might be cutting too close to pull off logistically on the outside chance the Cubs make the World Series.

I like the Gopher chances.

As an aside, don't discount the number of Gopher alums in Chicago. After the Twin Cities, Chicago has the second-largest concentration of Minnesota grads in the country. Although, I think the number of alums living in Chicago will rank no where near high enough to be much of a factor in deciding this game. If anything, Northwestern would lean toward the opponent that would likely bring the fewest fans, saving most seats for their own patrons. A game at Wrigley will sell out for NW, no matter whom they play.

As of May 21st, 62 armed robberies in Wriggleyville. Twice the crime, assault, and rape rate than national average. Four times the murder rate. Look it up your self.

Where did you get your data, and how are you defining Wrigleyville? The traditional neighborhood is bounded by Belmont Ave on the south and Irving Park Rd on the north, and Halsted on the East and Southport to the West. There's no way that small footprint has 4x the murder rate of the national average. If you lump Wrigleyville in with the rest of Lakeview, then extend the boundaries over to Englewood, then I'll buy the accuracy of your data.

Top Bottom